What's new

Where Should I Place Yammie YPAO MIC? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Mc

Grip
I have a Yammie 5760. Front speakers in entertainment center placed on front wall, center on top of TV, surrounds in left and right corners of back wall and sub in left corner of front wall. Couch in center of right side wall and chairs in left and right of back wall. There is no seating in the middle of the room. Room is 16 X 18.

Where should I place the MIC? In the middle of the room, even though there is no seating in the middle of the room?

Thanks for your help.

David Judah

Screenwriter
You want to place it as close to your listening position as you can--where your ears are going to be. When I had an automatic set-up receiver, I placed the mic on the back,top of the couch.

If you want to try to cover the other positions too, you can experiment with different locations, but there will always be compromises. Those automatic set-up algorithms are really designed to optimize just one spot, and in my house it was where I sat.:)

DJ

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I do it by setting the mic on top of my head while the receiver goes through it's routine. Probably wouldn't want anyone to see you, but it's very effective. :b

Mike_Mc

Grip
Question: by optimizing for 1 position like that (say, me, in my chair on the left back wall), does that have too much of an impact on the other listeners?

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Who cares Mike? Who's most important to please
:D Like David said, it's a compromise.

Mort

David Judah

Screenwriter
Most likely, yes(probably not too severly), but there are alot of variables. You can easily compare by running the auto-EQ for your main position and then toggling it on and off while sitting in the other seating positions to make sure the impact is not too negative.

There are some systems that average over a certain distance, but even with those, the main position is compromised somewhat. Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution if you need multiple locations EQ'ed, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something that you can live with.

DJ

Kaj

Stunt Coordinator
I run the test initially a few times, moving the mic in different spots within a radius of about a meter about the listening position. i note all the settings and the way the equalizer is set up and the music sounds.
he final test is with the mic in listening position.

In the end i only use the auto setup as guidlines, i fine tuning the settings anyway:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks