where should I buy used stuff?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacob_R, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Jacob_R

Jacob_R Extra

I know the Home Theater Forum has a place to buy used equipment, but I was looking for a place with a little more offers. I'm constantly reading about people who buy used stuff, but I can never really find a dedicated spot. I have to find a place online, because I'm 80 miles from a good city, and I would hate to drive all that way just to come back with nothing. I'm looking specifically for speakers. Thank you for any information on this.

2. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

Ebay would probably have a lot of stuff but be weary of sellers with low ratings or lots of negative feedback. Also a site like ubid.com might be usefull.

3. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

4. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

I would say Ebay or Ubid. My only problem with Ubid is their shipping. They will rip you a new on shipping. I am interested to see if anyone else has any great links.

Doug

5. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I've sold hundreds of items on ebay...and bought dozens of items, and I've never had a problem.

But, always check out the seller's rating. I would not spend significant money on a seller with less than 20 or 30 positive ratings or a seller with ANY negative ratings.

When I've had people dissatisfied with items I've sold I have quickly refunded their money plus shipping cost. With excellent communication, I've never had a negative or neutral rating. If sellers have negatives or neutral ratings, then buyer beware!

A good tip: ask the seller a question & see how long it takes them to respond. This is a good indication of their level of service.

I prefer to purchase items from HT Forum members that have 50+ posts. The trust level is higher.

Remember...buying from unauthorized dealers or ebay shoots the warranty.