Where might this power supply connector go?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Having just put together my new system, I needed to use the floppy drive from my HP 8600 series computer. In order to access the mobo and drive bay, I had to remove the case fan and power supply. Anyways, now when I try to boot up my old HP, the power supply doesn't work. I know it's one of two things:

1) I slightly chaffed a wire when sliding the drive bay in and out - I quickly noticed the chaffe and wrapped the wiring in electrical tape.

2) There is a loose connector - labeled as P8. It's a 4 pin connector but for the life of me, I cannot find it's home on the mobo. There is a connector labeled P9 that is seated but Im lost with the P8. HP customer support has expired and they want me to "pay" for it. Screw them. Any ideas?

2. Roland_Sjouw

Roland_Sjouw Extra

He Rob,

Is the wire comming from the power supply, then it may just be a spare wire for connecting an extra hd or cd-rom or whatever. If it is it's nothing to worry about.

regards,

Roland

3. Rob Varto

Yes, it is coming from the power supply. But it's not a typical power connector and it just struck me as unusual that it was labeled. It looks very similar to a floppy drive power connector except it has no small ridge on back. It's a tiny 4 pin female connector with unique wire colors running to it.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    perhaps if you can tell the colors on the connector, typically, anything yellow is +12v while I think red is +5v. But not all floppy drive power connectors have that "ridge" in the back, it could possibly still be a floppy connector?

You might also want to check your pins coming from your case, make sure they didn't accidentally get pulled from the motherboard. Most of the MBs that I see, you can easily pull off the leads from the cases. The switch that turns on the power supply is in the 20-pin ATX leads and not through a separate connector so that can't be your problem, although you should make sure that the wires haven't been pushed out of the molded plastic connector and that all the connectors are in place.

As a last resort, you can also try to disconnect everything from the power supply and take a piece of wire and short the green wire on the 20-pin ATX connector with any of the black grounds and see if the power supply fan spins up. That's how the power supply starts for those that are software controlled (via the motherboard and the case switch.)

Also, if there's a fuse on the PS, check that too!

Jay

5. Rob Varto

Thanks for the help guys. Basically, I pulled an old PS out of an old computer and used it. It works no problem now. I have no idea if that P8 connector is supposed to go anywhere or not, but the new PS did not have this type of connector.