Where is your fav place to buy TVdvd's

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dean C, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Dean C

Dean C Second Unit

In North America, Canada and USA

Walmart, Best Buy, Future Shop, Sears, Costco?

Mine is probably between Walmart or Best Buy. Best selection.

2. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Cinematographer

Pete
    I buy the most of mine online at... deepdiscountdvd.com... will use amazon.com when cheaper... other then that... Walmart... we don't have a best buy in the are. [​IMG]

3. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

Walmart is usually where I buy my DVDs, with occasional purchases at Target and amazon.com.

4. Andrew!A

Andrew!A Stunt Coordinator

Here in Ontario, I buy almost exclusively from online sources. Mostly amazon, bestbuy and thecnl. I do price comparisons. The advantage to bestbuy is that all shipping is free, regardless of the value of the order. But with thecnl, I only get charged GST, since they're in BC, and I'm in Ontario.

I also buy from amazon in the UK, for my R2 titles - lots of Brit mysteries, etc. (Kavanagh QC, A Touch of Frost, Inspector Morse, Trial & Retribution, etc.). Even with the exhange, the UK titles are often cheaper than the North American counterparts (if they exist). For example, the complete 33-episode box set of Morse from the UK is WAY cheaper than buying the North American releases.

I've come to loath the bricks-and-mortar Future Shop, Best Buy and Walmart DVD shopping experience. They rarely have the titles I want, and their stock is so poorly organized and displayed that I end up leaving in frustration.

5. andyEckles

andyEckles Agent

I buy all of my TV DVD's at an electronics super store exclusive to Nebraska. It's called the MegaMart, a division of Nebraska Furniture Mart. They have every single new release on sale the Tuesday it comes out for unheard of prices. DAllas season 3 is on sale next week for $26.99. LOve it!

6. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I don't have a wide variety of places to choose from where I live, but deepdiscountdvd.com is a great online source, as is amazon.com.

Wal-Mart is good, although we won't have 1 here for another 9 to 11 months.

7. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

That about sums it up for me. I rarely buy DVD's at local stores because in most cases the online prices at either of the above-mentioned sites are cheaper than local outlets but there are some exceptions. The only drawback to online DVD's is the return/waiting for shipping thing. Amazon's great and convient about exchanges for the infamous "scuffed disk during shipping" hassle.

8. Eve Brown

Eve Brown Stunt Coordinator

98% of tv dvds I order online. Usually deep discount or amazon whichever is cheaper. Have also had a few from buy.com when they have a coupon that makes it the cheapest.

9. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

I usually get mine at Sam's Club. Their dvds are usually at least $5.00 cheaper than Best Buys.

10. Antonio_G

Antonio_G Stunt Coordinator

Target because they are cheaper their than any place else I probably would go to...

11. Luc Roussel

Luc Roussel Agent

I buy most of my sets at Wal Mart, Amazon.ca, Archambault and FutureShop.

12. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Archambault? are you serious? unless they have changed their pricing, they are as bad as HMV. won't catch me shopping at those crooks'

13. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

Wal-Mart, Deepdiscountdvd.com

14. Kate*H

Kate*H Agent

I buy a lot of mine at pawn shops, their selection is hit or miss, but when you find a title you like at one, you can't beat the price. Other than that, I go to Best Buy, Wal Mart or Fred Meyers

15. John*P

John*P Second Unit

Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Amazon and DeepDiscountDVD

16. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Best Buy. Their recent RewardZone specials have really been a boon.

17. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

I always grab a Sunday paper and compare the Best Buy, Circuit City and Target ads. I check Wal-Mart on the way to Best Buy Tuesday mornings and will purchase a few here and there depending on who is the cheapest. All four stores are located within a mile of the others.

I agree with Greg, these Best Buy Reward Zone specials have been nice...and they'll help me save on future purchases too.

DVDEmpire and DeepDiscountDVD have been my online places to shop. I prefer a B&M store though. I like to grab a handfull of boxes and make sure I pick the best one. Fit, finish, no tears or gouges...

18. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Save up and wait for the twice a year additional 20% off sale at Deepdiscountdvd.

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Since everyone does that, they're probably only having that sale once a year now. [​IMG]

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

If anybody else does this and isn't aware...there is a thread over in Coupons and Bargains posted early every Sunday morning (usually not too long after Midnight eastern time [​IMG] ) that compares all the BB, CC, Target & CostCo prices for the new releases in any given week. It also includes all the individual special sale info for each store...as well as some of the occasional prices from other stores such as K-Mart or CompUSA. And, there's usually a pretty healthy discussion of what HTFers are buying (and sometimes not buying)...and where the BEST bargains are lurking.

If you ever want to check it out, come on over and pull up a chair in Coupons & Bargains. The thread is called The Weekly RoundUp.