Where is To Be or Not to Be (1942)?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Stieg, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg Stunt Coordinator

I don't think I've heard a single thing about this great film since the advent of DVD. I'm sure we'll get it some day, but it would be nice to hear something about it. A shame there's so little Lubitsch on DVD. We need more.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's apparently coming in 2005 with a new transfer off the original negative[off nitrate elements] (according to Warner Home Video).

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I couldn't agree more. I'm a huge Billy Wilder fan and after hearing all of his praises for Lubitsch, I have wanted to see more of his films. I've only managed to see the following.
    • Shop Around the Corner
    • Ninotchka
    • Bluebeard's Eighth Wife
    • Trouble in Paradise

At least that covers the films that are most widely praised, but I want to see more.

4. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

There was a terrific Lubitsch set that Universal put out on laserdisc that included THE LOVE PARADE, MONTE CARLO, THE SMILING LIEUTENANT, ONE HOUR WITH YOU, and TROUBLE IN PARADISE. ANGEL was released on VHS. BROKEN LULLABY--his only serious film--and the terrific CLUNY BROWN have never been released in any format. Silent films ETERNAL LOVE and as part of the "More Treasures from the AFA" box, LADY WINDEMERE'S FAN are available on dvd.

5. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Really? Sweet. If that news was announced somewhere at some point, I completely missed it.

6. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

For those who can't wait and who have multi-region players, it's available in region 2 in France - I bought it on amazon. Wonderfully funny film.

7. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor