What's new

Where is "The Victors"? (1 Viewer)

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Does anyone know why this film has never seen a proper release in the U.S.? C'mon Columbia, what's the problem? Is it the rights to the Sinatra Christmas song? It has never been released to VHS,DVD or Blu-ray. WHY?

I have the U.K. region 2 DVD, but this film deserves a proper U.S. release. Blu-Ray, Uncut and Widescreen.

Hey Criterion, Twilight Time, Kino....Get the hint?

Please.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Does anyone know why this film has never seen a proper release in the U.S.? C'mon Columbia, what's the problem? Is it the rights to the Sinatra Christmas song? It has never been released to VHS,DVD or Blu-ray. WHY?

I have the U.K. region 2 DVD, but this film deserves a proper U.S. release. Blu-Ray, Uncut and Widescreen.

Hey Criterion, Twilight Time, Kino....Get the hint?

Please.

The Sony Movie Channel showed the cut version in HD about 6 months
ago. It looked fine.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I was looking up films that have Saul Bass title sequences and came across this film. It's strange that there has been no American release of it. I'd love to see it.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Yes I've been waiting for THE VICTORS. A great performance in the film among others is Jeanne Moreau.

It is a good movie and deserves a BD release.........however one scene in the film that should never have happened and been filmed by the Director in my opinion was the shooting of the dog.......there was no need for it............it was unpleasant and soldiers would not have acted in that way..............

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It is a good movie and deserves a BD release.........however one scene in the film that should never have happened and been filmed by the Director in my opinion was the shooting of the dog.......there was no need for it............it was unpleasant and soldiers would not have acted in that way..............

Well I think it should be in there. The film takes a very sour look at war & what it does to people. I'd think that's why it didn't do very well, it was released at a time when nearly all the other war films were fun adventure movies. It shows up on TV in HD every now & again, looking okay, but I remember it has a nasty scratch running down the centre of the picture for some of it. If they're ever going to release it on Blu-ray after all this time, I hope Sony do a new transfer.

...& I see it's Henry Fonda's son who innocently whistles up the dog to follow the truck, & Robert Mitchum's son who shoots it.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well I think it should be in there. The film takes a very sour look at war & what it does to people. I'd think that's why it didn't do very well, it was released at a time when nearly all the other war films were fun adventure movies.

That's undoubtedly one reason the film didn't do well commercially. Another reason is that audiences don't like "authors messages" from presumptuous egotists like Carl Foreman. Prior to the film opening, Foreman went on the publicity trail and emphasised again and again that he was trying to show how awful war is. Most people already knew war was hell. He further damaged his credibility - and the film's commercial prospects - by saying that David Lean had weakened The Bridge On The River Kwai by moving away from the original Foreman screenplay.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's undoubtedly one reason the film didn't do well commercially. Another reason is that audiences don't like "authors messages" from presumptuous egotists like Carl Foreman. Prior to the film opening, Foreman went on the publicity trail and emphasised again and again that he was trying to show how awful war is. Most people already knew war was hell. He further damaged his credibility - and the film's commercial prospects - by saying that David Lean had weakened The Bridge On The River Kwai by moving away from the original Foreman screenplay.
I'm not so sure about that assertion.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
The reason it hasn't been released is because of the elements. Columbia only has negative of the cut version, and surviving prints of the roadshow edition are in unacceptable shape. They want to do it, but right now they can't.

Mike S.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Are we EVER going to get a Blu-Ray on this title. Hello Columbia...in my lifetime please.
81ORYfJctzL._SL1500_.jpg

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Still hoping for "The Victors" original length some day. Whatever condition the elements are in. As I recall it has the look of a newsreel to begin with. Could be wrong. The soundtrack is excellent.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Saw it in Japan. The overseas cut with Elke Sommer nude shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks