Where Is The Rest of The Picture on this RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Mar 13, 2002.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Tonight I was looking at the Samsung HCL4715W 47" set over at Best Buy when I noticed something. When I compared that set to other widescreen sets (with that CBS HD promo running) I saw that a good portion of information on the right side of the screen was missing. Most noticeable (sp?) was when opening credits were running ... letters were running off the right side. The CBS logo was even off the screen!
    Also noticed that the 'widescreen' setting on the Samsung was zoomed more (!) than the others resulting in slightly un-natural looking people.
    I asked if upon arrival were the televisions just uncrated and brought to the floor, and got an affirmative response.
    Upon questioning TWO - yes, TWO of the (?)salesmen(?), they couldn't answer me about the unnatural picture. One of 'em finally said "why don't you just go online and ask someone who knows - then when you find out, come tell us!!" So here I am in all my 'newbie-ness' hoping someone will tell me!
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Well I have the 65" tantus model that you saw in the 47, and I dont see anything being cut off, even when i soom in on the picture I dont see much cut off from the left and right as I see top to bottom. But I'll tell you what if you what music videos and you watch one that is in wide screen when I zoom in on those videos it gets rid of the bars and that is just the coolest thing to me, and I really can not tell that the picture is loosing any resolution buy zooming in either(and I'm a real critic of that). So back to your question I would go through the different views of the tv I think there is like 5 different views , next time you there try cycling trough them to see what happens

3. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

"Upon questioning TWO - yes, TWO of the (?)salesmen(?), they couldn't answer me about the unnatural picture"

Well - it was Best Buy. Most of those guys are one wave short of the shore when comes to kowledge of what they are selling.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

William, it sounds to me as if what you were seeing was a severe case of overscanning, with the picture positioned too far to the left of the screen.

5. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Jack & Rod,
    While I could go on for probably an hour about the level of product knowledge these guys DON'T have and some other things they said to me, I actually choose not to at this time - maybe later in another thread [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Jack,
    Could you tell me more about overscanning, what it's caused from, and how to correct it? I really do want to know about this because I'm going to look at the other two stores in town for this same problem on the Samsung(and hope it doesn't come up!)
    Thanks again [​IMG]