What's new

Where is The Real Ghostbusters on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Er... no... not exactly...

I heard JMS (who was story editor on the show) talk on this once, and if you watch it with an 'open ear', you see that the shows were designed to operate on two levels, kids and adults (with more of an emphasis on the audlt).

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
I wasn't necessarily referring to how we as an audience perceived the show, but how the studio perceives it. Any 40-year-old executive at Sony is going to see the show and think "cartoon for kids".

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Well, seeing as how the 20th anniversary would have been last year (as I'm fairly certain this was a 1984 release), it would seem that ship has sailed.

Oh, and if anyone reads from the He-Man press release the fact that the same company owns the rights to "Ghostbusters", I've been told this is a separate show entirely.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Entertainment Rights' "Ghostbusters" is the orginal one with two guys and a gorilla. "The Original Ghostbusters", as it were. Which is why the one based on the Bill Murray film got the title "The Real Ghostbusters"...a stick-your-tongue-out shot at the owners of "TOG".

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

The Filmation show "The Ghost Busters" was a live action show from 1975 (or thereabouts) with Larry Storch, Forrest Tucker and Bob Burns. When 1984 rolled around, Ivan Reitman and pals were nearly done with the film when someone remembered "Hey, wasnt there a kids show with the same name?" They quickly scrambled and got the rights to the name, and becoming the monster hit that we all know and love.

Filmation, smelling money, decided to revive the old show in 1986 in an animated form. The Real Ghostbusters (in production about the same time) was a dodge around the legal entanglements of the filmation liscense.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Also wasn't the movie called "Ghost Busters" with the space intentional? I never got that. Maybe we'll get a cool edition of the movie in HD.

Back to the topic of the cartoon. If I recall this show ran for five season and I saw it a while back on TV. I can't say I was impressed with the animation of the early episodes, kind of sub par if ask me when compared to other cartoons of the day (like the Disney TV cartoons) but the latter episodes looked pretty good. Its been a while, but I liked how the show kind of mimicked the musical score of the movie that Ivan Reitman movies are famous for. The elevator music as you could call it.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
When some of the voice actors were replaced, they re-recorded some of the old episodes with the new voice actors. If these the series is released on DVD, I hope both audio tracks are included for these episodes.

Also imdb mentions that a song was replaced on one of the episodes. I hope that song is restored.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I think it's the Boogieman song that was diffrent in some versions. That would suck if they replaced the music. I just wish that Sony would release this. They are seriously missing out.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
FYI - Two episodes of THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS will be used as bonus features for the 8/2/05 'double feature gift set' edition of Ghostbusters 1 & 2 according to the ad in the 5/15 issue of Home Media Retailing magazine.

I am ridiculously excited by this ad, and even though I own Ghostbusters 1, I may double-dip just for those 2 little episodes!

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure whether the two bonus episodes are good news or bad news in terms of the chances of getting season sets eventually. Could they be using this as a way of seeing how much of a following the cartoons have?

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm choosing to take it as a good sign--at the very least it means they know where their Real Ghostbusters masters are. And maybe if they get enough customer feedback, they'll get a move on putting the series out.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
This is so awesome. It's too bad it's not a Season Set like it should be, hopefully Sony will change that.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Including the episodes with the new dvd makes sense, since the very first episode of the show picks up right after their roof-top fight with Gozer with the boys returning to the now destroyed firehouse. I think their uniforms become possesed because of the slime that got on them, if I remember right.

I loved this show, used to watch it every Saturday morning. I loved that it followed the film, unlike that God-aweful other cartoon Ghostbusters. I even had all four of the Real Ghostbusters action figures, I wish I still had them. :frowning:

The one episode that sticks out in my mind the most was when the boys went to investigate a little boy who claimed that the Real Boogeyman was coming out of his closet every night and Egon had a traumatic run-in with him as a child as well. I was struck by how much the Boogeyman sounded like Megatron from the Transformers, which makes sense since that was also Frank Welker.

Here's to hoping these set's will come! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Like I've said before I don't understand why it isn't out yet. I have faith and hope that it will eventually come, I mean how could it not right? This year we finally got He-Man & ThunderCats which was beyond awesome. Maybe next year will be the year, or next and next, etc.

DennisPCJr

Agent
OK so were the episodes or episode rather ( The slimer show series kinda sucked) of The Real Ghostbusters on the new movie box set supposed to cause a reaction of interest if we wanted more? Is there an email or number we should/could be calling to say we want some box sets or the show to come out already?

firstjump

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
I just found out a couple weeks ago that the Real Ghostbusters has finally come out on DVD! I picked up volume 1 from amazon last week- it's great! The first 30 episodes, plus a ton of cool special features. Can't wait till volume 2!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks