What's new

Where is the Poltergeist Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Anthony R

Stunt Coordinator
I heard a while back that a Poltergeist 20th Anniversary Edition was coming to DVD at the end of the year. Anyone know the current status on that? I haven't heard anything. Thanks,

Tony

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it holds up very well still. While the current transfer is decent, I would love to see a new one.

Wasn't there some kind of (potential?) lawsuit holding this up?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I never heard of a lawsuit, but let's go over the possibilities:

1. The whole "Who Really Directed This Movie" Controversy
On one hand, Spielberg has officially denied directly interfering with the direction of the film. Cast members confirm this as well, so what is all the fuss about? On th other hand, perhaps Spielberg is worried that a SE with behind the scenes material would reveal too much about his alleged opressive hand over the making of this film.

2. Spielberg does not want to glorify the tragic events that plagued the series which would almost certianly be fodder for a Special Edition DVD.

3. There is some kind of lawsuit, but who and why.

I guess we'll never know as it doesn't seem likely that Spielberg will pop into this thread and give us a reason. Did anyone bring up anything about this in the last Warner Chat?

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
. Spielberg does not want to glorify the tragic events that plagued the series which would almost certianly be fodder for a Special Edition DVD.
The only tragic event I am aware of is the death of Heather O'Rourke whilst filming Poltergeist III, what were the tragic events of the first two films?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Dominique Donne, who played the elder Freeling daughter, was killed in 1982 by a jealous boyfriend when she tried to end the relationship. That's why the character isn't in the sequels.

As noted, Heather O'Rourke, who played Carol Anne, died of complications resulting from an intestinal blockage. The condition developed during the filming of Poltergeist 3.

Talk about the Poltergeist "curse" usually includes reference to Julien Beck, who played Kane in the second film and died not long after filming. As I recall, he was known to be ill when he played the role. But conspiracy theorists need a death to connect to the second film, and Beck is the only candidate.

M.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget the guy who played Taylor in Poltergeist II, Didn't he die not long after that movie was filmed?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Here's the lowdown from Snopes regarding the "Poltergeist Curse". How did the loser who killed Dunne only get like 3 years?! :angry:
1. The whole "Who Really Directed This Movie" Controversy
On one hand, Spielberg has officially denied directly interfering with the direction of the film. Cast members confirm this as well, so what is all the fuss about? On th other hand, perhaps Spielberg is worried that a SE with behind the scenes material would reveal too much about his alleged opressive hand over the making of this film.
Surely there's some footage of Hooper doing something other than going on bagel runs and returning with Spielberg's dry cleaning. :D

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
Dominique Donne, who played the elder Freeling daughter, was killed in 1982 by a jealous boyfriend when she tried to end the relationship. That's why the character isn't in the sequels.
Wasn't Dominique Donne due to be in V when she died, I'm sure she was actually rehersing for the role when this happened.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"Wasn't Dominique Donne due to be in V when she died, I'm sure she was actually rehersing for the role when this happened."

Yes are there are even some shots of her still in there (Shot from behind where you can't see her face, of course)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Spielberg does not want to glorify the tragic events that plagued the series which would almost certianly be fodder for a Special Edition DVD.
Not necessarily. The Crow got a deluxe 2-disc Special Edition, and the only hint that Brandon Lee had died can be found in the film's closing credits dedication. You'd never know from the supplements.

-Lyle J.P.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
The Poltergeist II & III double feature disk hits stores today. Any word on PQ & features? I'd like to see II again and $9.99 with a "free" extra movie (III) seems like a good deal.

Poltergeist is one of my all time favorites and I am absolutely begging for a Special Edition with lots of "stuff".

Thanks

C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks