Where is the original "Rollerball" SE??? It's out in Europe!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I don't get it. It's an AMERICAN film, starring mostly AMERICANS and all we have is the crappy original non-anamorphic version.
    From Amazon UK... "The 1.77:1 transfer is anamorphically enhanced and is generally very sharp and detailed with excellent colour. Some scenes show a lot of grain, but this is presumably a consequence of having to shoot with very fast lenses to capture the swift and dramatic action under indoor lighting conditions.
    "Return to the Arena--The Making of Rollerball" is a new(!) 25-minute documentary (4:3 with letterboxed film clips) that features Jewison, Harrison and various other personnel reminiscing about the making of the film. The highlight of the extras are commentary tracks from the Jewison and Harrison, and while there is inevitably some overlap of information, and some quite lengthy gaps in Harrison's track, there is also much to interest the serious film buff. Also included is an original seven-minute promotional featurette "From Rome to Rollerball: The Full Circle", the chilling original trailer, the teaser trailer and a trailer for the remake..."
    So where the HECK is it??? Unfortunately, the "remake" was such a disaster both artistically and commercially that the studio probably has little interest in putting this out now... [​IMG]
    Also, where is "State of Grace"????
    [​IMG] D

2. Thomas Hart

Thomas Hart Stunt Coordinator

Well, also don't forget to ask where the heck are the SE of "The Great Escape" (MGM), "Robocop" (MGM), "Starman" (Columbia), "Conan the Destroyer" (Universal), "Dune" (Universal) and most of all "Predator" (Fox), which are all available in Europe, but not here!!! [​IMG]
    Me? I'm a little ticked over the European DVD of "Mulholland Dr.", which got significantly more features than we got here! Bad show indeed.

3. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I would also love a Rollerball SE of the original. I hope the turd remake doesn't kill any SE possibilities here in region 1. Thomas, does European DVD of Mulholland Dr. also have the infamous digitally covered up scene?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

For the record, there is no Dune SE

Just the TV cut, and it's P&S

5. Jeff Kleist

MGM seems to release all their SEs in Europe 6-12 months before here for some reason

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

the best example to use is Terminator SE which in the end had a better R1 version because of James Cameron's involvement in the end.
    [​IMG]

7. Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas Stunt Coordinator

the best example to use is Terminator SE which in the end had a better R1 version because of James Cameron's involvement in the end.

This didn't make any R2-users happy. At first, I thought that R2 is getting respect and we are not left out... BUT NOOOO... I bought the R2 disc with the assumption that the R1 disc would be identical. Well as soon as I found that R1 would be better, I sold my R2 copy and began waiting for the R1 edition.

BTTF is again one bad example. It is being released first in R2 and R4 but with less features than the R1 version coming in December. And most of the people don't know that they are missing out.

I guess this thing with "Rollerball" and "Predator" (few of the titles released as SEs in R2 first) gives you R1 people some idea about how we, the R2 people feel about basically every release. 99% of the time, we are the ones getting screwed (features and DTS dropped without reason).

DVD releases should be identical in each region, giving everyone access to the best possible versions. But this seems to be getting harder with all the laws about copyrights, criminalizing region code hacks and import dvd's etc. that are being planned.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The original already has the Jewison commentary; what more do you want?

Yikes, I just realized I blew my 2500th post on a Rollerball reissue thread. Oh well. :b

9. Jeff Kleist

Mikko, in a perfect world that would be possible
    There is unbelieveable contractual issues with DVD. Given how broken up the whole world is (even pre-DVD) and the different territories it becomes virtually impossible sometimes for identical extras. Let's use Conan the Destroyer as an example. Universal owns in R1, MGM in R2. MGM does an SE in R2. Now MGM may or may not be willing to sell those extras to Universal, and Universal may or may not be willing to pay for them
    Most times DTS is dropped on European releases because all of you couldn't decided on one language a few thousand years ago [​IMG]
    It's a smaller case of what happens in Australia. Why is BTTF coming out everywhere but R1 first? Because those other regions import titles like BTTF like crazy. Why does the R1 have more extras? Simple, extra couple of months to work on the disc. Also many times the studios don't feel its worth it to release something in a place because they assume anyone who wants it will import
    So if you want to stop importing, you'll get screwed less, but if you stop importing, you'll have to wait forever
    Catch-22

10. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    R1 buyers should know that at the beginning of this year, Columbia TriStar said that we would not be getting a Special Edition reissue of "Starman due to poor sales which is what I find a piece of crap. It's a great movie that deserves a special edition, no sale of the original or not. It is probably John Carpenter's most beloved movie and R2 is getting it, but we arn't. What bulls**t!

As for "Rollerball", Mark is exactly right. The original DVD is only $10-15 at most retailers now and it has a commentary and what I hear is a great Dolby 5.1 track. If we do get a real special edition, maybe I might wait to add the movie to my collection.

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I would REALLY like to have the new anamorphic transfer as the old one isn't that good.
    Also, the new documentary sounds good!
    [​IMG] D

12. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

13. Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas Stunt Coordinator

There is unbelieveable contractual issues with DVD. Given how broken up the whole world is (even pre-DVD) and the different territories it becomes virtually impossible sometimes for identical extras

I'm aware of conractual issues but features are dropped also from discs that are distributed by the same studio in R1 and R2. This is not right.

Most times DTS is dropped on European releases because all of you couldn't decided on one language a few thousand years ago

The multiple language thing has nothing to do with dropping DTS. Not all European countries use dubbing, so the the original language is the only one needing DTS (dubbing is evil).

If we concentrate on the big studios like Warner, Fox, Universal and Columbia and not some small distributor that works in one country only, I think sometimes there can be as much as seven "identical" versions released by a same studio with the same content. The only thing different in each version is the audio so with a Finnish release you don't have French dubs etc.

There is room for the DTS but for some reason the studios don't want to include it even though the R1 counterpart from the same studio has it. The "not enough space" thing is just an easy thing to say when asked about it.

It's a smaller case of what happens in Australia. Why is BTTF coming out everywhere but R1 first? Because those other regions import titles like BTTF like crazy. Why does the R1 have more extras? Simple, extra couple of months to work on the disc. Also many times the studios don't feel its worth it to release something in a place because they assume anyone who wants it will import.

I think the amount of imports from other regions is not that big when compared to the total amount of stuff bought from within the region you belong to. Importing is limited to the collectors and not your average consumer. Since Europe contains so many nationalities there is the language barrier with importing. Some need dubbing but most need the subtitles and since R1 doesn't provide them, they are not bought by the average consumer.

Smaller titles not being released (or being released by a different studio) outside R1 is understandable but with a title like BTTF which is distributed by Universal everywhere, dropping features is unacceptable. They could have easily delayed the R2/R4. release to December so everyone would get all the features.

I don't think importing is something to be worried about when the release is simultaneous. The normal consumer won't import it anyway and the collector will choose the disc from his own region since he/she knows that it is identical to the R1 disc.

By dropping content in some regions, the studios are basically engouraging people to import R1 discs even though that is the thing that they DON'T want. Ironic, I guess.

14. Jeff Kleist

Another thing you have to remember with BTTF is that each branch of Universal does it's own thing. One hand has NO CLUE what the other is doing

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I don't know about all that, but I'd be first in line for a Rollerball SE. Anyone who knows me knows I love this film.

Houseman and Caan are awesome.

16. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Well, it's been almost a year since the SE came out in the UK and still no news here.,..?!?!?
    And the SE is also out in JAPAN, (albeit R2) so an NTSC version already exists...(Checked CDJapan.co Thanx for the link Jeff!)

Anybody know....?

D

17. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

18. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

19. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

20. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Cheers, James. But I ordered it from www.dvdcrave.com (region 4, Australia) yesterday! Coincidence? Weird. Only cost me £10-11, and I doubt that any region 2 e-tailer could beat that, so I'm pleased. But I bet £10 that the region 2 edition has the same cover-art as the Germany edition; superb artwork on that edition - very imaginative.
    Excellent film, BTW. The sweaty tension throughout the film is perhaps in a league of its own. When Sheldon first ventures out of his room is positively riveting and brilliantly directed. I think it is Reiner's finest achievement as a director.
    Gordy