Where is The Man With The Golden Arm (1955)?

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
Was this filmed in widescreen, as I've only seen full screen clips, including the opening credits, was this made in both formats?
Films in "flat widescreen" (1.66, 1.75, 1.85) were shot (and printed) full aperture, just as a 1.37 film would be. The films intended for widescreen would be composed for the wider ratio, with the on-set monitors having guidelines to show what would be in or out of the wider image. The projectors in the theaters would have plates for the different ratios to mask off the top and bottom of the image during projection.

For TV or video, these films would just be shown/telecined without the masking, making them 1.33/1.37.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Just a slight correction - there were no "on-set" (no one used that expression back then, BTW - that started to be a thing in the 1990s - always "on the set" - but I guess in the 90s it was all about saving time by losing the "the") monitors back then. The guides were in the camera viewfinder. Jerry Lewis pioneered the use of a TV monitor on the sets of his films in the 1960s. He has never gotten enough credit for it with filmmakers. Also, while many films were indeed shown open matte on TV, just as many were zoomed in and had the sides cut off, mostly to hide microphones or tops of sets and the like that may have shown up above or below the ratio line.

SFMike

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Sadly the WB spends way to much time doing boxed sets of dreck like the blu-ray release of "Leprechaun: the complete movie collection" and boxed sets of insipid 70's TV sitcoms while actual film classics remain sitting in the vaults.

rdimucci

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
The DVD version included in the Warner box set "Frank Sinatra: The Golden Years" is in widescreen. According to DVD Savant:

"Warner Home Video's disc appears to be the film's first really satisfactory DVD presentation. Several flat versions have been released; this edition appears to reference original materials and restores the film to its correct matted widescreen screen shape. The tighter framing enhances the performances and Saul Bass' famous main title sequence.

"A making-of featurette Shoot Up / Shoot Out covers the The Man with the Golden Arm controversy with a nervous, graphic-heavy style. Biographer Foster Hirsch participates in the interviews, adding a number of important observations. An original trailer is included as well."

On the other hand, DVD Talk says:

" As for The Man With the Golden Arm, my understanding is that the film has been in public domain for quite some time. I don't know if Warners was able to go back to the original source material, but the matted letterboxed image here (at 1.85:1) looks a little tight to me, with heads slightly cropped at times which would seem unlikely for Preminger. As well, there is grain and a surprising amount of scratches (including a big white one running at the beginning of the film) that indicates to me that either the original source materials are compromised, or more likely, Warners had to go with a beat-up print. Still, it looks far better than the print I've seen it on TCM lately, so overall, it's a positive.

" The Man With the Golden Arm includes Shoot Up, Shoot Out: The Story Behind "The Man With the Golden Arm," a new documentary on the making of Sinatra's favorite film, that runs 19:25. It's a good accounting of the cast and crew that went into this seminal production. An original trailer is also included."

Frank Sinatra - Golden Years.jpg

Man With the Golden Arm.jpg

Last edited:

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
There's a region Blu-ray from the UK label Network that's also widescreen (1.66).

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Would there be any deserving applicants though?
We hardly get any titles these days save for a long, long, long list of names over a blank screen at the end.

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
Would there be any deserving applicants though?
We hardly get any titles these days save for a long, long, long list of names over a blank screen at the end.
Opening credits sequences seem to have gravitated to HBO, which has had several good ones. Other channels, too.

AlanP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BAP
It's on TCM this month....check their schedule. Saw it but not sure when..

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Industrious