Where Is The 'God Of War' Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MatS, Mar 28, 2005.

1. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

ok then, here it is

most fun I have had videogaming in recent memory and oh so beautiful to behold
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I was just coming to start this. I agree, one of the most fun games I have EVER played. I tried Devil May Cry and hated it, this is everything I hoped that game would be.

Some GREAT story/gaming moments (love ripping the wings off of the harpies). Best so far:

The puzzle that requires you to push a man in a cage in front of a fire trap, while he pleads for his life the entire time.

I'm 2/3 of the way through it and the only bad part is it will be over soon.

3. Kevin Clemons

Kevin Clemons Stunt Coordinator

Joel, I agree. This game has sucked me in like no game has in a very long time. I just got a 55" plasma this week and when I put this game in I nearly wept. I am currently in Pandora's temple and am remembering why I still have my PS2.

Kevin

4. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

just made it to the upper level of Pandora's Temple

funny you mention DMC Joel.... I played it too when the first came out and also hated it

this is the LOTR of videogames

and since I too am from IL I'm wondering if the only people playing this game on this forum are from the Land Of Lincoln [​IMG]

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I buy very few $50 games now a days but I've ordered this one.

6. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Not that it's a comparison thread, but I'll happily defend DMC. This game is a more polished, much easier DMC clone. Nothing wrong with that. It uses the red door barriers, red and green orbs, and over the top combat elements that DMC created in 2001. GoW is more user friendly, for certain.

FWIW, I just beat DMC3 on Normal about a week ago, and bought this based solely on reviews. It's certainly a worthwhile game in and of itself. To defend DMC3, this doesn't have half of the combat depth that DMC does, but it plays smoother and more intuitively.

I picked it up this last Friday, and I'm at the Challenge of Poseidon level on Spartan difficulty. Only three spots have really given me difficulty (multiple deaths requiring multiple attempts). I even skip about a third of the life refill chests (because I don't need them). I am liking the game more every level.

In short, DMC3 is simply more hardcore. GoW is more casual. Both are great games.

Take care,
    Chuck

7. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

just as an aside Chuck I never played DMC3

when I mentioned DMC above it was in regard to the much heralded first game
    Most know DMC2 was much criticized and I have had no desire to revisit the series during the 3rd installment as I just don't care for the lead character and despite GOW having some sameness in gameplay elements (what games don't borrow elements) I didn't care for the DMC gameplay experience as a whole.

8. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Hey, if you don't like the lead character, I completely understand. For me, DMC was a fusion of the best platforming and hardcore action aspects of the NES days merged with the (then) state of the art graphics and design of the PS2. DMC2 sucks, but I love the first and third games. The design is brilliant, the action unbelievable, and the difficulty is actual difficult.

Don't get me wrong...I am usually a "Normal" kind of guy. I don't game enough to be hardcore. But every now and then, I want to remind myself I was a pretty good player "back in the day". DMC fills that need.

As for playing on Spartan, I never would have started that had I not JUST come off DMC3. But it's workable. Like I said, a few spots are asskickers. GoW is really a fantastic game. But it certainly (MAJORLY) has it's roots in DMC. And it does a few things better, for certain.

That's all,
    Chuck

9. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Man, I can't get past the Minotaur. Tough. I can get him down to a blinking bar but not all the way.

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I am almost at the ass-end of the Challenge of Poseidon. Last night was fairly tough, as I came up on the harpies and Legionnaires room (from the water) and died numerous times trying to get the red shield around the handle down. You really have to know when to dodge or block (or get distance in the game). And who you can insta-kill with the "O" button. So FOUR asskicker spots now. I need to get better at combat.

Take care,
    Chuck

11. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

First of all, God of War is a great game. Just the sort of game we all bought our PS2s to play.

Chuck, I completely agree with you about DMC3/GOW. DMC3 (forget DMC2 - it was mostly a misstep) is simply a joy to play, and it also kicks your butt. The main character is sort of an annoying vampiric frat boy, sure, but Kratos (from GoW) is not exactly Mr. Happy.

GOW has a more interactive environment (with more platforming aspects) and as a result the environments and puzzles are often more difficult to navigate -- every so often the camera is wanky, too. But the graphics are better than DMC, and the levels are more cinematic. Battling is easier in GOW, not only because you get more health than you'll ever need (on easier difficulties), but because the battle system often allows you to simply "mash" your enemies to a pulp (the guys with the shields had me confused for a while, though...)

If you want to succeed at DMC3, however, you'll need to conquer the deeper combat systems. I love that "easy" mode is unlocked only after "normal" beats you up enough times...

So in a weird way, these two games are cousins. Play one for the "gothic" themes and deep combat system, play the other for its amazing graphics and playability ... and honestly, when's the last time you played a game based on Greek myths (if loosely) that was any good? Battle of Olympus for the NES?

good times!!

s

12. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Oh the games are definitely brothers.

Every now and then, Dante will actually crack wise and make me laugh. I don't mind him...he's consistent.

I get plenty enough health, even on Spartan mode. And the bosses are still pretty easy, although every now and then a specific room will rape me repeatedly (and this game asks if I want to move to an easier mode if I continue three times in a row at the same checkpoint).

While GOW sports better graphics, DMC1 and 3 had some incredible over the top Gothic architrecture. Just stunning to look at. GOW looks a little clean for my taste, but seems much smoother.

Every now and then I want to kill the camera (same with the DMCs).

Still, GOW is an extremely good game.

Worth the money invested,
    Chuck

13. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

Man I hope there is a PC port of the game.

14. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

Is this available for the PC gamers? Looks very good!

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

This is a Sony developed game, I doubt they'll release it for the PC.

16. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Hey guys,
    I'm fairly new to the PS2 world- bought one for my daughter and can't stop playing and buying games for the thing. I beat the first Prince of Persia pretty quickly and just picked up DMC (the 1st one) and like it, although I'm still trying to figure out how to just get through the first level- those puppets won't come alive for me to fight. I know now to buy GOW from this thread. As soon as PoP part two drops in price I'll get that also. Any other games like these with good stories, fun battles, and puzzles to solve that you would recommend? And how gory is the PoP part 2 compared to the first? I won't let my 9 year old see DMC mostly out of respect for her mother, but she did see and play PoP part one. I didn't see a problem with that one. Are those titles rated mature much worse? Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.

17. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

God of Wars EARNS that mature rating with very, very over-the-top violence and some nudity as well. The violence is very extreme, with lots of beheadings and people getting impaled, and not just monsters, but innocents as well.

PoP2 isn't quite as bloody but is a lot more violent and dark than the first one, with enemies cut in half and such. It's sexed up too, if that bothers you. Both are most definitely for mature audiences, and I'd guess not something you'd want your daughter playing (the sand monsters of PoP one these are not).

18. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

While God of Wars has one major flaw, it's far too easy. After playing the game for two days, I managed to complete it while only dying once.

I'm finding this with a lot of games lately. Lumines for the PSP is actually the first game in a while which is actually challenging me. I wish I could be chalenged like this in action games. It's getting to the point where I may start only renting games, as the purchase seems pointless.

19. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Thanks for the heads up, Joel. Now that I've gotten further into DMC I realize there's a scene or two that I wouldn't want my daughter to see just yet, like when Dante first gets Alastor all bloody by removing his body from it. Thanks again.

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Play it on "God" level you & won't be saying that.