Where is the George Reeves Superman series on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by pitchman, Jul 9, 2004.

1. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Who owns the rights to the original Superman TV series? With the wild success of TV on DVD, you'd think that a such a perennial favorite in syndication would be a natural for season sets on DVD. I'd pick up Superman in a heartbeat, especially of the episodes are complete and uncut. Has anyone heard anything about this one?

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Probably tied up in rights hell like other older shows based on Warner properties like the 60s Batman.

3. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

There was an online discussion with several Warner Brothers Home Entertainment reps earlier this year and The Adventures of Superman (Syndicated 1952-57, ABC 1957-58) starring George Reeves was definitely mentioned as being planned for a DVD release (albeit no definite date was given) but that there were some "problems" that still had to be dealt with pertaining to the source elements for the finest digital transfers possible.

Like you I'm anxious too for such a DVD collection myself but their word certainly gave me confidence. Frankly I consider Superman to be a much much better tv series than Batman (ABC 1966-68) ever was and certainly more people grew up watching Superman than ever watched the latter.

Jeff T.

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Heck, I consider it to be much better than the film starring Christopher Reeves, with its way too wimpy Clark Kent and its failure in making me believe Superman could fly. Plus, the tv series had much more majestic theme music.

So put me down for box sets of the Superman tv show.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Alan, thanks! I always thought Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent was a bumbling, shy buffoon — not at all the way he was portrayed in the comics and on the original TV series. I mean, Kent is supposed to be a star reporter for the Daily Planet, right? Dummies don't become star reporters. And Kent had a way with the women, as well.

I thought, though, the TV series was network-produced during its original run. I am surprised to read here that it was in syndication for most of its original run. And I also thought it was on CBS.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

7. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    David, thanks, this is good news! If they do half as good a job on these that they did on Wonder Woman, I will be one VERY HAPPY camper![​IMG] I'm betting the early black & white seasons will look fantastic.