Where is the DARK CITY director's cut?

Cassy_w

Second Unit
It was announced, but nothing has happened. What gives? Did I miss it or something?

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Funny you should mention this. I just spoke with Rufus Sewell at The Holiday after party last week and he said he has recorded some interviews and things for the DVD. So it's coming. He didn't say when. But I'm certainly looking forward to it. I love Dark City. Fantastic film already, and from what I hear, this cut is going to be terrific.

Cheers,

Jason

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator

That's one of the rumored edits, but I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. Hopefully they can use seamless branching, but if they don't I can keep the old 1998 disc.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yup. Still looks pretty decent too, despite being 8 years old now.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

Yeah...Im really surprised how well it has held up. Video, sound, and special features are really decent. Hope there will be another release sometime...

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Waiting on this too. There was a thread a while back on HTF that mentioned Ebert (before his newest health concern) had mentioned that he had recorded a brand new commentary for the director's cut (his original commentary is fantastic). This was in early 2006.

I can't believe in this day and age where seemingly every title is given the double and triple dip treatment that we can't get the new Dark City DVD released.

Clay_E

Stunt Coordinator
I've never seen DARK CITY, and have always been curious about it. What is the "spoiler-filled opening narration" you mentioned?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its an opening spiel by Kiefer Sutherland explaining who the Strangers are and what the purpose of the city is, all stuff we learn later on in the film. Its like creating a whodunnit and telling you who the murderer is in the first minute.

Also this was a pretty useless bump.

C

Chris*Liberti

I would love for this to come to HD. I love the film and saw it in the theater. Brilliant film.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Not sure about dead, but I think it may have found itself in the "Blade Runner" black hole. With New Line's reluctance to release anything in HD, they may be waiting until there's a format winner to introduce a high-def version. With regards to the regular DVD release, maybe they're waiting for the next Proyas film in order to do a tie-in? Not sure, but I do wish they'd release it at least on DVD. This is one instance where I won't mind double dipping in regular def and then again in high-def.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

I beg to differ. I had never seen the film before two weeks ago, and bought the New Line Platinum Edition or whatever it's called for five bucks at HMV, and it nearly killed my eyes to watch it on our projector -- giant halos around everything.

I wouldn't watch the disc again, even though I want to have a second look at it. It was just that bad.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I never felt that way, I actually thought the narration was a nice segway into the film, and it didn't really explain too much about what was going on really or the exact purpose and moving people around and the like.

Still, a fantastic film. I'm somewhat skeptical of a directors cut because the current cut is excellent as it stands already, but who knows. Still a favorite sci-fi type film for me, and it looks ever so gorgeous on my CRT which really shines on the dark scenes which is basically this whole movie. William Hurt is also fantastic.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I know you can't really "unremember" things, but try to watch it after a long break, try to approach it like you've never seen it, and turn off the opening narration when you do watch it.

A totally different movie, IMO. And a better one.

I've actually done the reverse, shown the film to friends for the first time without the narration (apologizing for the mute/lack of sound) and they all loved it. I told them I would explain later why I did that. Every single one of them (granted only about 9-10 people over the course of a few years) was glad that I muted the opening narration. It really makes the film more of a "whodunit" + "what the heck is going on here in this crazy dark world" + "whoa, who are those dudes in the trenchcoats".

Think of a version of the original The Matrix movie, but put Morpheus's explanation to Neo of The Matrix (even an abbreviated version) in an opening narration to start the movie.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39