What's new

Where is the crimson skies (Xbox) review? (1 Viewer)

John Doran

Screenwriter
John,
You are a sky pirate so just start blowing up those zepplins and steal their cash as it falls. You won't get punished so blow up every single one you see.
that's awesome....thanks for the heads-up.

i suppose i would have figured it out if i were the type of gamer that shoots at stuff just to see what happens; case-in-point - i was telling a buddy of mine about the game this morning, and when i told him about the whales in the ocean, he immediately asked me "can you shoot them?".

of course, it hadn't even occurred to me to wonder that. which is why i had only $2800 after 2 hours playing.

sigh.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Whoah I didn't know there were whales in the ocean. Time to go back and check it out. :D

After playing through I found that I ended up with tons of cash but not enough upgrade tokens. I was only able to upgrade 3 planes over the course of the entire game. :frowning:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Arrrgghhh, I've gathered about 15 tokens so far while I'm on that stinkin' Navajo skills test mission :angry: You just have to wander around a bit and find them, however that "test of skill" is driving me batty... Spent 3 hours so far trying to get that done. I have done the other two easily but it is so hard to judge depth with all the canyons being roughly a reddish brown and that 3rd person perspective is making it very hard to see any kind of view from the front. Very frustrating and I see no point to this kind of test (See that punishment thread).

I see there is a god-like cheat but I wonder if that will do anything, I hate levels like these in games, completely destroys the experience.

Jay

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Found out that after you beat the game it starts you back at the beginning except now you have all the planes you collected and your money so you can continue to upgrade your planes and use newer ones on the early levels.

Jay,
To pass the test of skill all you need to do is ride the brake for nearly the entire time. You don't have to be right on top of the plane you are following. Just close enough that you can see where he is going. I never had a problem passing that test when I did that. It was shooting the balloons that kept messing me up on that level.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, I finally did it! I have been trying to do the thing using rolls (right stick) and a mixture of the brakes and the turbo. I decided to stick to the brake and leave the roll control mostly out and I eventually did it.

Hmmm, I found the shooting one not hard and the courage one the easiest. On the shooting one,

you can skip I think 2 of the marked balloons and still pass. (I skipped the two of them that kind of appear on the left of the zep that are kind of blocked by the cliff). You also sometimes have to hit balloons twice if you hit one slightly off-center.. I failed once cause of that)..

This game reminds me of an old PSX game called "driver" except its with planes. Driver you would do various missions in different cities (Miami, San Fran, Chicago, etc) and you did have the opportunity to just driver around for a bit, exploring the city..

Jay

AndyN

Agent
Does this game allow for linking xboxes? If so anyone try it out yet? Dogfitting with 8 or more people would be sweet. I need something fresh for our Halo gettogethers.

Andy

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I am now in the Lost City trying to get Doc's plans back. I'm wondering if we can only upgrade out planes only once, it seems not to give the option anymore once you've upgraded. I've upgraded the Devastator, the Dauphin, and the Brigand and have a couple other planes to do with all the tokens I've got.

Jay

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Bought the Game on Saturday,mostly due to all the positive reviews and I was looking for another fun LIVE game. I'm about halfway throught the Lost City portion, How far along in the game is this.

Take out a Zep at long range with a missle, its pretty cool, nice explosion.

I decided to get online Sunday and see how I fair. About average. Played 3 games, 2 games were only 8 players, and 1 game was something like 16 people. The 8 player games are fun, I imagine fewer players would be enjoyable also, however the 16 player game, not so fun, I would kill someone and then get ripped apart. It reminds me too much of Unreal and those other first person shooters thats basically run around and blow someone up that doesn't see you coming. The less people in the game the more skill it takes to kill things.

On the 8 player games I only got about 7 or 8 kills before someone won with 25. On the 16 player game I got about 14.

I am having a problem though. 3 times (once during online, and twice during the single player game) the XBOX couldn't read the disk. It gave the cannot read disk error, it might be dirty, yadda yadda. I just got it Saturday so should I return it or is this happeneing with everyones disk. I've heard about some people having this problem with some games, but this is the first time I've ever seen it, on games or movies.

John Doran

Screenwriter
I've upgraded the Devastator, the Dauphin, and the Brigand and have a couple other planes to do with all the tokens I've got.
i spent a lot of time cruising around chicago, and i'm sure i left all kinds of them there (it's so hard to search everywhere on that level), and i thought i'd given it a pretty good go on the navajo level, too, but i guess not...

i love that you can fly into stuff in this game, like caves and the interiors of buildings...

oh, and by the way, am i the only one that loves the coyote? when it's upgraded it's actually faster and more powerful than the devastator, and only at the expense of one armor-"bar". and it handles unbelievably well.

how do you like the piranha, jay? the tesla-gun seems to work pretty well.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hi John, not very clear in my english, I guess, I have the other planes to upgrade (the Coyote, the Dust Devil, and the mini-gyro but you can't seem to upgrade that one). I just got my 18th unused token and decided to upgrade the Brigand (which needs 16 so I have 2 left over).

Yeah, I saw the token in the cut scene where the gun trucks are taking off under the wearhouse... I was in that place with the mini-gyro hiding from the planes when you had to shoot the three buttons, but I think that one only appeared during the bombing run. I too did not have any time to go hunting then. I was using the fastest plane I had and managed to finish it with about 2 seconds to spare (I had to get repaired halfway through the run)

Piranha? I don't think I got that plane yet or if I did, didn't know what it was called... Is that the gun that's on the rear of the brigand? That part where you're escaping Chicago was very fun, One shot would destroy the planes while Maria was flying!

I must say the mini gyro is a fun thing to fly and sit that and sniper planes. Plus, it's special weapon is very fast, very accurate!

Another nuisance I've seen is that the mission area is not labelled in some way on the radar, I don't know how many times I get that "Leaving mission area" thing and the stupid AI simply turns and crashes me into a building!!!! There's nothing you can do and you are taking damage because of the computer control. The designers should label the screen more or at least give you a warning so you can turn yourself, rather than let the computer crash you into a building, especially in Chicago!

Jay

John Doran

Screenwriter
the piranha is the plane on the lost city level that shoots the electricity at you - i picked it up on one of the bandit runways. the secondary weapon is good because you don't really have to aim it all that well for it to be effective, which is the only real disadvantage of the coyote, if you ask me: you have to have perfect aim to hit anything with the rockets, other than a zeppelin.

do you have the bulldog? it has no armor to speak of, but is fast as hell...

i never tried hiding that close to kahn's warehouse in the gyro when i was sniping the buttons, but i had exactly the same experience when i was getting the TNT from the trucks: i had to repair halfway through and i made it with almost no time to spare...

and i couldn't agree more with you about the "leaving mission area" thing in chicago - i died at least once when the computer flew me into a building, and i got damaged really badly a few times, too. at one point when i was using the gyro, i got the message "leaving mission area", and then the computer flew me partly back into gameplay, but then froze on me: i mean, the game was still going - trucks were driving by and the rotors were still spinning....i just couldn't move.

Frederick

Second Unit
Finished the game. I wish there was some type of level select. There were a few missions I'd love to play over again without having to go back through the entire game. I feel confident enough to play a Live session now. All in all a great game. I probably will give it another whirl because I'm missing a plane.

Freddy C.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
AhhhAhh, nope I've seen the plane icon but I haven't picked it up yet. I have the Bulldog, yup, fast, kind of too fast for me as it's hard to control sometimes, almost no armor though.

We should be able to upgrade the mini-gyro, I think if people want a challenge, you should try to do the entire game with the mini-gyro!

Jay

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I haven't figured out how to get the last plane. I know which one it is too. It is the same plane that is used in the navajo missions, where they strip the weapons from it. I was playing a Live game and noticed one on the runway so I switched. That plane has a wicked secondary fire. It shoots about a dozen crazy rockets out in a cluster.

I agree on the chicago level about the bug with going off the map. I died so many times because I was inbetween buildings and it flipped me over right into the side wall. Very frustrating.

Bulldog and Devastator are still my favorites. Devastator for any dog fight matches, and the bulldog for any capture the flag or chicken matches because it is so freakin fast.

John Doran

Screenwriter
Bulldog and Devastator are still my favorites. Devastator for any dog fight matches, and the bulldog for any capture the flag or chicken matches because it is so freakin fast.
it's a toss-up for me as between the devastator, coyote, and maybe the piranha; the only thing i really like about the devastator (and piranha) over the coyote is the directionality of the secondary fire; both the magnetic rockets and the tesla-cannon allow for a much larger margin of aiming-error than the straight-line rockets of the coyote. but the coyote seems to handle so much more easily than either, despite the fact that the ratings on the planes are so similar.

i don't play online, so the bulldog is useless for me (i'm just not good enough to avoid damage to the extent necessary to use the bulldog without dying every 5 seconds...).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The first plane I upgraded was the Dauphin, it was good for me, but the cannons are fairly slow though so for trigger happy pilots like me, the Devastator is a good match, in hindsight. But at the time I had 10 tokens and the Dauphin was upgradable I think while the Devastator needed 12.

Bill, I have never had the dirty disc problem with this game and I have one of those early Xboxes with that crappy drive in it. I have had the DDE with Morrowind and EA's FIFA 2003 but not with this game. I had the game freeze up on the loading screen once but no other problems. I'd try a new disc first, and then perhaps try a new drive. I've tried exchanging FIFA 2003 twice and it never fixed it. And when I called MS tech support they wouldn't even acknowledge a problem with the drives nor would they acknowledge that some people were getting their xboxes replaced for free :angry:

Jay

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Thanks JayH

Yeah I'll be returning it today for a new one. I was getting ticked last night. Playing live it cut me off 4 times.

Whats with the Dice in Live? I thought it had something to do with skill level, but The first game I played last night I was at a 2 and then after I had won that game I was at a 3 for the other 3 matches.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ack!!!! I hit the last room before you exit "the gauntlet" and I made a huge mistake by switching planes halfway through! I traded my upgraded Devastator to one of those fresh piranha planes and I do not like that tesla thing as you have to track the target after you make contact which means you're taking shots left and right unless you're right behind the person. I like the long range tracking missiles of the Devastator. I like to face the plane, fire off a missile, and then do a barrel roll to get out of the way.

And there's three attack zeps in there. So I was stuck with a spanking new Piranha and that sllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww plane that's new there... Sheesh. Every time the zep would hit me with the testla gun I would be blind!!!!! Forget the attack, that stupid weapon practically blinds you til you hit a wall and then you're completely lost. I gave up and cheated rather than redo that whole thing so now I'm back in Chicago. And they make picking up the medikits and stuff very hard, you should be able to grab the parachute too and not just the box.

Another one of those HALO games where they do not give you the option of saving so if you're almost dead and you hit a checkpoint... Kiss that mission goodbye. In fact, once when I was in the Navajo land and on the train, I died just as the screen was flashing "checkpoint". Guess what? Every restart, I wound up in an infinite loop of dying and restarting... Real smart FASA! They do need to improve on their playtesting. I basically redid the whole mission, but fortunately, it wasn't that far back. That's the big thing I disliked about HALO and all these games like that, what happened to user controlled saving?

Somebody needs to give Nathan some shooting lessons, the cutscenes are funny to the point of being unbelievable! :)

Jay

John Doran

Screenwriter
Somebody needs to give Nathan some shooting lessons, the cutscenes are funny to the point of being unbelievable!
the last fight against von essen's zep was enormously frustrating for me - i almost put my foot through the TV at one point. but i figured it out in the end and actually started the whole game again.

seahaven is an interesting place when you have a gyro to explore every nook and cranny...

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I just opened and started playing this game last night - and so far I dig it. I know this probably sounds stupid, but on the first mission, can I just fly around forever or is there a point where I complete all the $$ missions and can find the pilot of my zeppelin? Im looking for my pilot (forgot his name) and I have no idea where he might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks