Where is "The Civil War"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Faver, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

So much of Ken Burns' stuff is available on DVD. Anyone know why The Civil War is still unavailable? I would think this would be a huge seller for PBS. Where is it?

2. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

3. Chris Sypal

Chris Sypal Stunt Coordinator

4. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

It's encouraging to see that the REgion 4 release is pending, maybe there's something in our future. Julian, the DVDs offered are only the first three episodes. There's a lot more to follow.

5. Eric Thrall

Eric Thrall Stunt Coordinator

I have always been very interested in the Civil War and can't wait for this documentary to come out on DVD - it has to be the best documentary I've ever seen on any subject. However, I question their decision to release it in Region 4 first... how much demand can there be for a documentary on American History in other parts of the world? I am interested in history of all sorts, but most people are either completely uninterested in history altogether, or are curious about their own history and are not interested in what happened elsewhere.

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Eric,
    A lot of the tragedy of later wars can be blamed on people not paying attention to the US Civil War. It was the first war that featured machine guns, trench warfare, ironclad steam warships, submarines, and even an aircraft carrier. Sherman was the first "20th Century" general as it were. Too few Europeans paid any attention to it so they were caught unawares by the outbreak of WWI, in which millions of troops died pointlessly.

7. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor