Where is the best place to purchase dvd's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentJ, Aug 5, 2002.

1. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

Just curious where most of you purchase your dvd's from and why? Thanks

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

When i buy online (lately I've been picking up title in stores), I buy from Lasersedge.

First, they're a sponsor of this forum, which is important to me (and I feel should be important to most members here!).

Second, they are very reliable in terms of on-time delivery (especially on pre-orders), very reliable on shipping the correct items.

Third, they have a store and a solid staff of people-- so often any orders or problems can be handled by simply calling them and talking to them.

They have the best service coupled with very good prices. It's like dealing with a personal mom and pop shop with the extra ease of the Internet.

I've tried most online retailers- and came back to Lasersedge after having endless problems with others. Granted, they don't always have the smoking price- but the most extra you'll pay is a buck or two (and I consider those extra nickles as well spent support of the HTF which I use often)!

-Vince

3. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

Thanks! I will check them out.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Also, don't forget to check out Dave Lambert's "Weekly Round-Up" (in the Coupons & Bargains section) for price comparison of each week's new releases at some of the brick-and-mortar shops.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Another online retailer with excellent services and prices is DVD Empire, still going strong after so many other online vendors have bitten the dust.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The vast majority of my DVD purchases are from online retailers -- most are pre-orders. I prefer the convenience of having new releases arrive at my mailbox instead of driving all over town to possibly save a couple of $$$ (and many times online is still less expensive anyway).
    I use DVD Empire and Deep Discount DVD for almost all current online purchases. Both sites offer good customer service, competitive prices, free shipping and pre-orders usually arrive by street date -- at worst a day or two later, which I can live with (I've become much more patient in my old age [​IMG] ).

7. George See

George See Second Unit

I use deepdiscountdvd and amazon for most of my online purchases and best buy for my in store purchases. Of course all transactions need to be approved by the wife which is the hardest part about buying dvd's.

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

9. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I second DVD Empire - very reliable and great prices.

For cheap TV series season sets, I use Total Action Universe, Direct Video, or BestPrices.com.

10. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I think you need to assert yourself a bit more.

11. Walter Smailus

I have recently been buying mine at the local mom & pop video store. They've been selling their previously viewed ones for $10. Just picked up Blackhawk Down this weekend. That had the original case and liner notes. Just like new but without the plastic wrapper and the disc is fine with no scratches. You might want to check the local ones where you are in case you can get the same deals unless you just have to have the DVD as soon as it comes out. It's kind of hit and miss but I've been lucky so far. [​IMG]

12. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I've been using dvdempire for several years; they're fast and reliable.

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    totalactionuniverse for just about everything.
    one of the main reasons is price -- they seem cheaper than most US online retailers, partly because of the exchange rate.
    the other reason is shipping cost: they charge a flat C$13 to ship to me in Singapore for 2 items or more regardless of how many in the package. at just 6 items that's a measly C$2+ each. the others either don't ship outside North America at all, or shipping's gotten really pricey, e.g. Amazon.com, and often slow -- last time I ordered from Amazon it took 3+ weeks to get here; the Canadian post consistently gets here 8 days from shipping date.
    but I must concede TAU's a bit slow in getting stuff out, and their website isn't very "powerful" compared to Amazon's. and because it's Canadian, you take the "risk" of dual-language DVD covers, and sometimes different editions altogether (the initial Memento comes to mind [​IMG] )

14. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I've built 95% of my DVD library through purchases at DVD Empire, so they get my [​IMG] !

15. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I love DVD Empire; they usually have the best prices hands-down. And now that they have the free shipping on 4 or more DVDs, it gives me even more incentive to make all my pre-orders there.

They are simply the best place for catalog titles. I might occcasionally pick up a big title (like LOTR) at Best Buy if they will have a super-low price, but for most of my purchases DVD Empire has them beat.

Plus, they usually upgrade me to free Priority shipping with the 4+ deal, and they always ship new releases the weekend before street date-- so I always get my new releases "on time" usually on Monday.

I also think they have the best site. The Pre-Order Manager feature is great -- adding to an order, canceling orders, or combining orders is easy. I also love their Upcoming release list. You can click on "Recent Additions" to see what titles were added in the past few days-which is fun to go through once a week or so. Plus, DVD Empire usually puts up titles for pre-order rightaway. I often find out about new releases from them before the major DVD nws sites post the info.

I am one happy DVD Empire customer.

16. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    If you buy large quantities of dvds often try using www.dvdtalk.com/stl with a throwaway email address and matching 'throwaway' amazon account (spammers use this place for addresses as I soon learned the hard way) to get a 10% discount off of all of amazon's prices then if your order totals 100$ (BEFORE any stl discounts or giftcertifcates) you get free shipping on all of them as well (everything shipped all at once though, so it waits for the last item). If you snoop around the web some more (start at dvdtalks coupon and bargains section) you can almost always find a 10 or 5 dollars off promotional certificate from Amazon. If you figure things carefully you can get 100$ in regular amazon prices of dvds for around 80$ shipped. THis garners you very good deals if you buy season sets or big box sets such as LOTR or ET, since with them 10percent off is an extra 10-5 dollars. This is also a good way to get good prices on criterions, though for the most part dvdplanet seems to have the best deals on them.

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    With most of those nice coupons gone, I rarely buy online anymore. I buy from one of two local Wholesalers.

18. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    For nearly 6 years I have purchased most all of my DVDs from Laser's Edge. See their link in banner as they are HTF sponsor. They have made zero errors in shipments (over 1600 titles) and ship on time. They offer fair prices and excellent customer service. They are an Indiana B&M store that was very early to the internet and online commerce. They date back to Laser disc days. I pre-order 90% of titles and just relax and wait for the ontime shipment.

The Laser's Edge website is also very well maintained and generally updated daily. See the advanced search utility for special features like search for database changes over specified number of days.

The staff at Laser's Edge know their movies. It is a first class operation.

19. BillBobs

BillBobs Extra

Flea markets, pawn shops, mom & pops mostly. Flea markets have the absolute BEST prices you will ever see anywhere for new DVDs.

For the more obscure titles that I can't find at the above places, I go to Best Buy, Fred Meyer, or Fry's.