Where is the best place to mount Bass Shakers in a Sofa?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Nov 2, 2001.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I just picked up a pair of Shakers and want to know for all you experience ones out there the best place/area in the couch/sofa to mount them. Bottom? Back? Sides? etc...
    Also, everyone keeps saying, "When properly configured, they are an excellent addition to your H/T". Is there a special way to wire/configure them? I just assumed you hooked up the two terminals + and - to your amp just as you would a normal speaker. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I've got mine hooked up to the frame of the couch..on both sides. I'm not sure placement is critical, just space them out a bit. Another suggestion is that if your shakers can't be mounted on the frame due to the frame being too small, then mount the shakers to a square of particle board, then mount the particle board to the frame. (use particle board because a hard wood may split)
    I've got mine hooked in series, resulting in an 8 ohms connection. In other words, the positive wire goes to shaker 1, then the negative shaker 1 goes to positive shaker 2, then negative shaker 2 goes back to the amp.
    As far as being "properly configured," I believe most people are talking about the following:
    1. Feed your sub-out line from your receiver to the amp (or receiver)that will drive your shakers.
    2. Keep the volume level reasonable, so it enhances rather than dominates. You don't want to feel the shakers during dialogue.
    3. Enjoy!
    ------------------
    HT Pic's

3. Jerold Burrow

Jerold Burrow Auditioning

Hi Jeff -
    I'd like to add that my bass shakers (Aura 25 watt) seemed to perform better when mounted vertically... so they shake the sofa up and down instead of side to side.
    Have fun with your setup...
    ------------------
    Jerold Burrow

4. John H

John H Second Unit

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    OK, a couple more questions regarding the shakers. I have 2 Aura Pro (50W) versions and want to know what guage speaker wire will be sufficient to use for a 30ft run. Also, how would you split the LFE out? Will I need 3 Y splitters to make 4 outputs? 2 for the sub and two for the shakers? Is there a less expensive/easier way to split the signal?
    Thanks in advance!

6. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Assuming you have 1 "sub out" line on your main receiver, you will use a regular splitter (1 to 2) with one line going directly to your sub and one line going to a "line in" on the amp or receiver that will power your shakers. I don't think the type of speaker wire is critical...though you may find others who disagree. I'd go with 18gauge for ease of running around baseboards.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Because the couch I have mine mounted to is a pullout, I decided to place them on the front of the couch. This seems to work very well. If the shakers were mounted right beneath the seating area, I think they could become a bit annoying at times.
    As for speaker wire, I am just using cheap 16 ga cable without any problems.
    J