What's new

Where is the 2 disc R1 Resident Evil? (1 Viewer)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
On the DVDTalk thread about this someone posted an ad for this.

It's going to be a 'Deluxe Edition' (which doesn't sound good) and according to one shop it'll be released on September the 7th.

There's a picture of the cover and it says only 'Deluxe Edition' - no 'Extended', 'Uncut' or 'Unrated' anywhere on it.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
It may not be a bad thing that it is not labelled as "Uncut" or "Unrated". The aforementioned DVD Talk thread includes an interview with the director where he says there is very little extra gore footage to put in. The director does, however, say there is lots of other material for a new edition.

I don't mind if there isn't much in the way of deleted footage (beside the alternate ending, which I do want to see). As long as there are more substantial extras, I will finally buy this guilty pleasure after waiting for two years because I heard a better version was on the way.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
It may not be a bad thing that it is not labelled as "Uncut" or "Unrated". The aforementioned DVD Talk thread includes an interview with the director where he says there is very little extra gore footage to put in. The director does, however, say there is lots of other material for a new edition.

I don't mind if there isn't much in the way of deleted footage (beside the alternate ending, which I do want to see). As long as there are more substantial extras, I will finally buy this guilty pleasure after waiting for two years because I heard a better version was on the way.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
The alternate ending isn't worth much - it's very short and unfinished.

It's basically just Milla walking into an building and pointing a big gun at the camera, if I remember correctly.

It's 49 seconds long. (It was on the German 2-disc-edition.)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
The alternate ending isn't worth much - it's very short and unfinished.

It's basically just Milla walking into an building and pointing a big gun at the camera, if I remember correctly.

It's 49 seconds long. (It was on the German 2-disc-edition.)

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Come on now, anybody have any opinions on Superbit vs SE in terms of picture and sound? Reviews I read are split decision.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Come on now, anybody have any opinions on Superbit vs SE in terms of picture and sound? Reviews I read are split decision.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
DVDAnswers.com now has the discs specs and artwork - no new cut, both the old and the "missing" audiocommentary, all the extras from the German edition + several new featurettes.

I was hoping for a new cut - but I'll buy it anyway.

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
NO DTS :angry: :angry: :angry:
I'll wait for the R4 Australian version of this Deluxe disc as their current version of RE (same extras as current R1)
DOES have DTS:D

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Shawn, will the R4 version be NTSC? If not, then are you saying that you are able to appreciate the difference between DTS and DD, but not correct-pitch and PAL Speed-up?[/whole can of worms]

Just curious. :)

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
Philip
I have compared the R4 DTS RE to R2 DD5.1 RE and good though the DD is it IS superceeded by the DTS track which is a definate step up.......

As for PAL/speedup.....well I have R1 SE NTSC Mad Max and
R4 PAL Mad Max with FULL BITRATE DTS:D
Having watched both I personally did not notice the speedup but I was not specifically trying to spot it as I was being blown away by the full bitrate DTS track which makes the R1 DD sound like a whisper in a bean can.....

ON the R4 those V8's now sound like real V8's ie they RUMBLE!!

Mad Max is the only NTSC/PAL comparison I have done so far but my DVD collection runs 70% NTSC & 30% PAL.
I'm sure it's there as it's a physical fact about 4% speedup on PAL but I've never noticed it......

Which DVD's have you compared & noticed it on Philip?

ps I completly agree with you about 1.66 being anamorphic AND
never buying a bilingual cover.
AND
forced Trailors

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Which DVD's have you compared & noticed it on Philip?
I first noticed PAL-speedup when I bought an NTSC LD of Groundhog Day years back. After that, no more PAL-from-24fps-film for me. I was shocked (shocked!) by the difference. It has got to the point where I can't enjoy films on UKTV because the actors don't sound right. The only PAL movie discs I get now are foreign-language ones. :frowning:

But this is a similar issue to Edge Enhancement - some people seem more sensitive to it than others, and if you don't notice it, or it doesn't bother you, lucky you! :)

Back to the DTS issue... I'd love DTS on the new SE too, but not if it compromises the picture quality. However, I don't see it as such a big deal as I would have a couple of years ago - simply because we're that much closer to HD-DVD now, and you can bet that RE will be near the top of CTS's list.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
People who want dts can buy the Superbit - I'm happy they don't waste discspace for a dts track on this release.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
People who want dts can buy the Superbit - I'm happy they don't waste discspace for a dts track on this release.
Me too!

Seriously, 5.1 DD and DTS are very similar... Even with the 5.1 I have a better sound compared to the theater. The DTS improvement is very subtil and seriously, I don't have to hear all the little details not noticiable!

I can't wait for this new release.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Compromise picture quality with the inclusion of a DTS track my foot!

If you say there's only a subtle difference with Dolby to DTS you will see virtually no difference in picture quality with the inclusion or exclusion of a DTS track.
Example: The R1 version of The Terminator does not have a DTS track and the R2 version does. Did I see a difference in picture quality? Not at all. Sound quality? Absolutely.

If you have a projector however, you might see the minimal difference, but in my opinion DVD is not made for projectors but that's a different story.

DTS doesn't eat up as much space as people think. DVD will forever be at 480p max, the exclusion of a DTS track will not get it up to 720 or 1080. HD-DVD or BVD is where you will see the difference.

I did buy the Superbit edition for the DTS track not for its so called "improved picture quality."

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
I am also one of "the lucky ones" who managed to get Aliens
Ultimate Ed from Japan. It has DTS (which Fox US & Fox UK said there was not enough space for)

First off the DTS is noticibly better that than the DD and yes I have done a back to back comparison (it's also NTSC so no speedup to compare)
Also and more importantly the PICTURE IS BETTER as well.....
work that one out!!

Re RE I have done a back to back between DTS & DD and there IS a noticible difference and it's NOT subtle......but obviously it does depend on what equipment subs etc you are using.....I have 5x M&K 150's & a M&K 350 sub.......

Also the Aussie R4 DTS DVD picture quality is exactly the same and it has the DTS with extras so unless you guys are watching on 100'+ screens I can only guess at what you may think you are seeing as a difference?

So it can be done IF the studio wants to/can be bothered??

I am lucky enough to understand English and therefore don't need 4 different DD all in different languages.........but I can see some people might.......

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
So this is only a 1 disc release? Meaning that the movie and the new extras are all crammed into the same amount of space as the previous standard release?

Ughh. I was hoping for a 2-disc set with the extras on disc 2. :frowning:

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Some on-line sites are listing it as a 2 disc and some are listing it as a single. This is what the two disc should contain:
Region 1
2-Disc Set
Widescreen
Audio:
Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Dolby Digital 2.0 - French, Portugese, Spanish
Additional Release Material:
Alternate Ending - 1. Introduced by Paul Anderson - Director
Clip compilation from "Resident Evil: Apocalypse"
Audio Commentary - 1. Cast & Filmmakers
2. Visual effects team
Trailers
Featurettes - 1. "Playing Dead: Resident Evil From Game to Screen"
2. Scoring Resident Evil
3. Set Design Featurette
4. Storyboarding Resident Evil Featurette
5. The Creature
6. The Elevator
7. The Laker
8. The Trainm Zombie Dogs
9. Zombies
10. Costumes Featurette
Music Video - 1. "My Plague" - Slipknot
Text/Photo Galleries
Five (5) filmographies
Additional Product
Free movie ticket for "Resident Evil: Apocalypse"

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I reviewed the Deluxe edition. it is one disc. There is no music video, there is a 3 1/2 minute clip from the sequel, and there are no photo galleries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks