What's new

where is that amazing film, THE ISLAND OF LOST SOULS? (1 Viewer)

why is this not on DVD?

Saw this on TCM last night for the 1st time in at least 20 years - amazing film - very well directed and creepy as hell even 73 years later. There was a Universal Logo followed by a Paramount when the film began - this one needs to be restored and given the royal treatment... CRITERION perhaps...

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
According to interviewer/writer Tom Weaver over on The Classic Horror Film boards, Island of Lost Souls was a notoriously bad seller on VHS, so Universal's probably in no hurry to put it out (I mean, this is Universal we're talking about here...!).

I agree - 'tis a shame it's not out; a wild flick!

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Strange then that they issued it on LaserDisc a long time ago. But then they released a lot of good stuff on LD, that hasn't yet made it to DVD.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Did the LD come out before, after, or concurrently with the VHS, I wonder?

Anyway, this is according to Tom Weaver (who certainly knows his stuff).

James@R

Second Unit
If nothing else, this would make a great addition to one of Universal's multi-film collections.

"Are we not men?!"

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I believe this will naturally have to come to DVD in one form or another. I don't doubt Tom Weaver at all, but it's odd that Universal would single this one film above all there others as having "poor sales". Universal is releasing all the Inner Sanctum films to DVD, as well as things like MONOLITH MONSTERS and THE STRANGE DOOR. Are they telling me that those titles sold so much better on VHS than ISLAND OF LOST SOULS did? I personally have a hunch we'll see ISLAND OF LOST SOULS on some type of collection set eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks