What's new

Where is rock n roll? (1 Viewer)

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Carl,

I spent about 4 hours with All Music Guide last night. You're right, it's a terrific music resource. Especially helpful is the way they list bands by genre and then break it all down into "roots & influences," "followers," etc. The links are endless. If it weren't for a local late night electrical storm / power failure, I would not have slept at all last night. :D

I've learned a lot from the posts here, although it's getting expensive (9 CD's and two DVD's ordered since the thread began). There are some very articulate music fans out there, no doubt about that. My impression is that rock music has transformed into something I've been unable or unwilling to appreciate - until now.

Dave

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Gov't Mule

Dave, they are a current band but they are members of the Allman Brothers Band but let me tell you, it is Rock & Roll. I was amazed at how these guys rocked when I was serching for some new Rock music.

I would get Gov't Mule - The Deep End Vol. 1, it is a great CD.

Also, Coco Montoya is pretty good too I bought his Can't Look Back disc and wasn't disappointed, it is worth a look.

I only have a few current bands in my collection, I listen to mainly Classic Rock but the ones I got are good.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Lawrence,

Good post :emoji_thumbsup:

You list many of the current bands I like.

I was just recently introduced to The White Stripes and they are terriffic. I would say to anyone who likes the Rolling Stones or early Aerosmith, check out this band. You will not be disappointed.

kevitra

Second Unit
Gov't mule seriously rocks, especially live. I'd recommend Dose as a first Mule CD, and then the 4 disc live set (or 2 disc, but you will be missing some incredible songs).

I am listening to Powderfinger on Rhapsody right now. So far so good...

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
I think any Weezer fans would definately dig Built to Spill. Similar styles, and both are very catchy. Check out "Big Dipper", "Cleo", "Twin Falls", or "Reasons", all of which are off "There's Nothing Wrong With Love", which pitchfork ranked as the 11th best album of the 90's.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,

Here's what I have (or on order):

Audioslave
White Stripes, Elephant
Gov't Mule, Deep End #1
Strokes, Is This it?
Powderfinger, Vulture Street, Internationalist
Tool, Undertow
Queens of the Stone Age, R
Phish, Live #11
Disturbed, Believe (DVD-A)
AC/DC, Jailbreak '74
A Perfect Circle, Mer De Noms

DVD's

Dream Theater, Metropolis
Nine Inch Nails, All That Could Have Been

A Perfect Circle sounds kind of like Pearl Jam. They did a good mastering job on the CD, sounds great.

Dave

George See

Second Unit
I'd recomend "The Music" they are a fairly new band only one album thus far, but they definently have that classic rock sound. The guy who runs www.musictap.net turned me onto them and i'm glad he did. They do have a bunch of song samples that he has a link to on his site.

And Yes Pearl Jam, their recent tour was just really really great arena rock. Their new record is pretty darn good.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
A few more suggestions of some fairly new, great rock:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Kings of Leon
Detroit Cobras
The Hives
Sahara Hotnights
The Hellacopters
Danko Jones
Calexico
Grandaddy
The Raveonettes
The Warlocks

Rock isn't dead, it's just that Clear Channel can't make money on it right now. :)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
check out a UK band called "The Darkness". They are hoping to crack the USA soon. There more stadium rock though, there influenced by Van Halen, ZZ Top, Queen etc which makes them more exciting than most of todays bands. They actually have a very entertaining front man and i reckon they could do the biz in the next few years. Basically though todays commercial pop/rock scene isn't great. The Strokes, The White Stripes are ok but they lack "killer" songs. No songs people are going to be listening to in 20 years time going "wow, those guys rocked!" :D

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I have become a big fan of Zakk Wylde/Black Label Society lately. They seriously rock, on the heavy metal side of things. "The Blessed Hellride" is kick-butt album.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
That's great, Dave!

Don't listen to Liberate on that Disturbed DVD-A with the kids around (if you have any), because they say f*ck a lot in that song. The rest of the songs aren't that bad as far as language goes. Believe is one of my favorite albums from last year, and definitely much more mature and melodic than their debut (The Sickness). I think that Darkness, the last track on Believe, will ASTOUND you! Let's just say that it is much different than the rest of the album, and will show you how much talent this band truly has! :D

By the way, don't listen to Audioslave expecting another band like Soundgarden, because you will be disappointed. Just settle in for 65 minutes of pure rock. :) Also, you can put the CD in your computer, go to www.audioslave.com go to the ConnecteD section, and you can access some neat bonus material. There's even a bonus song up there right now.

Make sure to let us know what you think of the stuff you get.

Do you know when it will arrive?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
And I've never given the impression that popular music is inherently "bad" (far from it). Though inadequate, "serious music" is a more accurate appellation than "classical music." It simply has yet to be demonstrated that much if any rock music will have anything like the staying power of Handel or Vivaldi. Simple as that.

Some popular music has pushed beyond the boundaries of convention and aspired to a seriousness not normally associated with it. And The Beatles definitely can be said to have accomplished that.
I've also taken umbrage at the use of the term "serious music", Jack, but that was quite well put, and I can't help but agree.

StevenW

Second Unit
Tool, A Perfect Circle & Audioslave are currently my favorite rock bands right now. But Tool, in my opinion, is the best rock band to come out in the past ten years.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I spent about 4 hours with All Music Guide last night. You're right, it's a terrific music resource. Especially helpful is the way they list bands by genre and then break it all down into "roots & influences," "followers," etc. The links are endless. If it weren't for a local late night electrical storm / power failure, I would not have slept at all last night
Glad you found it useful Dave! You chose a good bunch of new CD's I see..hope you're enjoying them :)

gregD

Second Unit
Tool is a killer band.

So have a listen to a band that had considerable influence on them... King Crimson.

They've been around since 1969, and yet regularly create some of the most modern, innovative, forward-looking music imaginable.

Start with their latest, The Power to Believe.

It burns!

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Dave, do you have any updates for us?

Also, I think that you should check out a new band called Jet. Their first album, Get Born, isn't out in the US yet, but it comes out later this month or sometime next month.

The neat thing about this band is that they sound A LOT like older rock bands, and do a really good job with it! You can hear their latest single, Are You Gonna Be My Girl?, at http://www.elektra.com/elektra/jet/f...o_2667547.html.

John Beavers

Second Unit
First before you can say rock is gone or dead you have to define what rock 'n roll is. Ask someone from the 50's what rock is, and if it's alive, you'll get RIP as your answer. Elvis, Bill Haley and the Comets, the great beginnings of rock n roll, there's no 21st century equivilant of that anymore. Ask someone from the 60's what Rock is and you'll get the answer from my era of rock n roll, with groups like Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, Allman Brothers and the Doobie Brothers. I look back at what I was enjoying in my youth, and compare it to today, well it's RIP rock 'n roll. Ask someone from the 70's, also my era of Rock, and you've still got the great bands, but rock has lost it's early excitement, and much of it's early spirit even then..we're headed towards glitter rock and punk..yuck!. The 80's come around and you're getting further away, the 90's, it's sad, and come the new century, I as a die hard rock n' roll fan, find my CD collection to be populated not with the new 21st century Hendrix's, nor the rising of the next Janis Joplin, but jazz from the 40's & 50's and old blues artists. Times change, and so does music. It is sad for me though, having experienced the era when Rock was new and artists came along that mesmerized you with their talent and what they were expressing in their music. God, I sound like my Dad ;) Have I really gotten old?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye

- Neil Young, Canadian folk-rock-country-blues-ad nauseum singer-songwriter ;)

And he's right. Rock and Roll evolves, like all other genres of music. Rock was invented for, and is still made for 14-year-old kids, who just wanna "kick out the jams, muthaf***ers!". It's like, Little Richard, this black guy, jumpin' around on stage, with big hair, screamin' like a banshee - and then Elvis, this white/black guy, he brings it to a wider audience. I think we all know the story. The point is that Rock changes - always. It isn't 'one thing'. It's Frankenstein's monster, folks - outta control and confused, and there's always gonna be people with fire-sticks wanting to kill him. But he just won't die.

It's trash, as Richard Meltzer said. Disposable shit. There has always been crap Rock and Pop music. From day one. But things started to go down hill at Woodstock - the day the marketing people descended like vultures on Rock. Rock became... a marketplace. Became Global - too big. Overnight millionaire Rock-Stars, from working class families who got too much too soon and blew it. Cocaine. Groupies. MONEY. Oh, and last, at perhaps least, the music. What a drag. It really ended when the term, "Soft Rock" crept in, I mean, is that an oxymoron, or is that and oxymoron? Soft... Rock. Uh-uh.

Eminem and other misfits rule the roost now, and that's great. Whatever gets teenagers off is right. Rock is now just another genre. But there are great memories of it's heyday. Classical was once the genre, and it has done great. A great legacy.

Time waits for no man.

Gordy

Richard Meltzer]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks