What's new

Where is PETER'S FRIENDS? (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This is one of the last films on my 'Not on DVD, yet" List and I really can't believe it hasn't found its way out yet. I have no idea which studio has the rights to this one (I believe it was a coproduction between Samuel Goldwyn and Channel 4).

For those of you not familiar with this fantastic British comedy it stars Stephen Fry, Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Rita Rudner, Hugh Laurie, Imelda Staunton, Tony Slattery, and others. Written by Rita Rudner and husband, Martin Bergman, Peter's Friends is about 6 college friends who get back together after 10 years when Peter (Stephen Fry) inherits his father's mansion and decides to throw a New Year's party. Sort of a British Big Chill. It features a great soundtrack with quite a few charming 80s hits.

Anyone know anything on this one? :confused:

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Great film! It"s been shown widescreen on cable the past few years. I think this is through Polygram vid which is now controlled by Warners.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm waiting for that film on DVD too. Still have (just) a VHS version....

Cees

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
MGM owns this from their acquisition of the Samuel Goldwyn/Orion library. I'm sure it will arrive at some point, especially if Stephen Fry's upcoming new movie does any business.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The film is being released as a bargain title under the MGM/UA label with a street date of 2/12/08. It's so under-the-radar that it didn't even make the HTF "Weekly Roundup".

I couldn't find any details about the release, but I have a copy on the way to me from Amazon.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
A brief update based on a quick scan: The disc is barebones, movie only, widescreen 1.85:1 anamorphic. No trailer or other features. This being the first widescreen release in region 1, as far as I know, the transfer is presumably new, but it's impossible to be sure. It certainly looks more colorful (in the opening New Year's Eve scene, for example) than the washed-out fullscreen LD that was previously the best available home video version.

This is probably the best version of this film we're likely to see; so I recommend that fans grab it while they can.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks