What's new

Where Is New Line Cinema? - Merged, also see post #72 (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I remember back in January '98 I believe, I was going to Tokyo and my ex's friends who were there were dying to get Men In Black, I believe early and were willing to give me some $ to slip a few VHS copies in my luggage.

It cost them more than going to the theater to see it but they got to own it and own it early on tape.

:)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Last I heard the UK and Australia spoke english. But whatever.

In all honesty I think it's a sound business practice. If for some very odd instance American Gangster, Sweeney Todd, Beowulf or I Am Legend got a European release 6 months before a US theatrical release and I had a chance to get an imported HD DVD version of it weeks before it hit theaters here I'd be all over it. That would be lost ticket sales for me, my wife and probably whoever I show it to.

Think of what a cool movie night I could have in my HT, having friends and family over to see something that hasn't even started showing in theaters.:D

Manus

Second Unit
" Think of what a cool movie night I could have in my HT, having friends and family over to see something that hasn't even started showing in theaters. "

Welcome to the rest of the world , Jim :) That's how most of us outside the states have to live because movies are so slow to arrive here . I regularly premiere movies for my family that haven't even been released ( and some may never be ) over here .

I'm sick of cowardly companies like New Line and Denon trying to engineer the perfect economic environment for their joining the Hd party without any risk at all and no matter how much it pi$$es off or inconveniences their customers . On several occasions I've tried e-mailing them only to be blanked with their silly 'out-of-office and not really bothered ' automated replies .

So I may , like you , just source them from Europe or elsewhere , and have a private chuckle when they start to bemoan the lack of Hd product shifting :D

If they are neutral they should release day and date , period.

~M~

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Eh, I still think that what ticket sales you lose to imports could be made up for by making the theatrical release timely and appealing. Region coding is just like any other sort of DRM - its main effect is to annoy your best customers.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They can make it worthwhile, even if someone has imported a copy. I tend to look at it like Mark Cuban's response to piracy - that if Landmark, as an exhibitor, can't offer compete with what someone got off BitTorrent, his company wasn't doing its job. The gap between a theatrical exhibition and an HD DVD isn't quite so vast, but the point still stands - people who import discs are potentially your best customers. They like movies a lot - you should be able to sell a good many of them tickets, even if they've already got it on home video, because seeing it at your theater is better.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Ok, anyone else dying to get The Long Kiss Goodnight in HD?
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
....I know it's kind of cheezy but it's just damn cool & fun... a real trip of a film. We never got any other release on dvd other than the original 1997 issue. Whether Blu or Maroon just give us some freakin' films New Line! :)

Manus

Second Unit
Tim,
I'll join you to shout for LKG . Over here it only came out with a 'Pro Logic' soundtrack so I never bought it .

Jim,
Today's matinee double-bill for the nephews features Harry Potter and The Fantastic 4 ! This home entertainment is hard work sometimes ;)

Some New Liners I'd like to see : The Mask , Se7en , Boogie Nights , Austin Powers ( Yeah! Baby ) , LotR , Secondhand Lions , Magnolia , The Cell , Frequency and The Butterfly Effect . What a movie week they would make ? And I would order the lot tomorrow if I could , but , alas ,,,,,....

As for Denon , I dont know how they justify launching with the more expensive Bluray player when Hd-Dvd is cheaper to develop and , at the moment anyway , seems to be selling more stand-alone players !

Enjoy your movies any way you like to ,

~M~

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I think New Line's decision is disappointing, to be sure.

That said I really don't care about anything they've released theatrically in a long while. I'm dying for much older catalog titles from New Line. A Nightmare on Elm Street (the boxed collection would be grand), Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason, Leatherface, etc.

I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Rush Hour 3 was a good "turn the brain off and laugh" movie. Definitely worth a rental if you've enjoyed the previous films.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I must be the only one who is buying Hairspray on BD. Hopefully the original, whose 20th anniversary is next year (along with John Waters' next film, "Fruitcake"), will not be far behind.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I find it disterbing that Toshiba is so desprate to hang on to its revenue stream that they are bribing studios away from Blu-ray. I find it dishartning that even with Blu-ray out selling HD-DVD 2:1 Studios would jump ship and abandon the winning format. And it looks like Lord Of The Rings will be HD-DVD only. :frowning: I have no problem buying them on HD-DVD but I would have prefered them to be a Blu-ray release. The question is if Toshiba did not bribe them would the have choosen HD-DVD still?

I still however can not wait to own the extended cut of Lord Of The Rings.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dave, you're using legal terms here in a totally wrong (and unfounded, BTW) way.

And what's more, if New Line is now saying the will be format neutral, then why think TLOTR won't be?

Cees

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I read an article today and I was not to happy about what I read. It came right out and said two studios took money to side with HD-DVD.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...2307/index.php

The Article is on page one "Studio Execs Mull HD". This article calls New Lines move to HD-DVD a defection. To me that says they jumped ship and walked away from Blu-ray. Is New Line Cinema going to actually support both HD formats? Or did then actually stab Blu-ray in the back?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused. The link doesn't work and you're implying New Line dropped BD.

That would be pretty big news (in the miniscule world of HT) if true.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
Everything I've seen has New Line more or less preferring blue ray even though they're "neutral".

None of their new releases come out on HD at the same time as the BD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks