What's new

Where is "Hocus Pocus"? (1 Viewer)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
"Where is Hocus Pocus?"
Waiting in line for the P&S treatment at Disney.. :thumbsdown:
(I'm not serious.. Just narked at Disney.)

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
umm, Luke, where did u hear or read that it's gonna be in non-anamorphic widescreen?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting a long time to replace my widescreen ld with the dvd, but I'll only do so if it's OAR.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
umm, Luke, where did u hear or read that it's gonna be in non-anamorphic widescreen?
Can't state my sources, but I can vouch for their authenticity. Basically, if something is posted as fact on my site, it's fact. Same goes for the 5/21 Disney DVD details and the P&S-ing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone confirm whether this is WS or P&S? I saw it on the shelf this weekend (street date violation, apparently), and in the "specifications" box it said 1.85 widescreen, but at the bottom in fine print it also said "modified to fit your screen."

Anyone actually spun the disc to see which is correct? I'm not buying until it is confirmed WS.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I say go ahead and buy it. I've never know Luke to be wrong before. But if he is, then you've got a great reason to return it for a full refund and get a message to Disney, right?
"Hey, the box SAID it was widescreen!" :angry:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Ack! Non anamorphic? Why would they? I'd say "at least it's in widescreen" but I don't buy non-anamorphic either. Must be the same transfer they were going to go with all those years ago.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
33% loss of resolution, yes. Not to say I may not rent this, but I don't buy non-anamorphic. I'm planning for my HT future.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, I loved this movie as well. My favorite Disney live action movies are the old one. But somehow, everytime this comes on cable, I have to watch it.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Sad that it's not anamorphic,:frowning: but at least it's 1.85:1 widescreen.:). The 5.1DD sound is good, but not much surround sound to boast about. Even at the Halloween dance where Midler sings "I Put A Spell On You", there is no wide stage reverberation of the song in the dance hall, only slight sound effects. The music is still very moving, like when Sarah Jessica Parker sings "Come Little Children", I get a chilled feeling.:emoji_thumbsup:
Very Good transfer - not many artifacts, even when zoomed to fill a 34" direct view widescreen, using a Panasonic RP91
DVD player.
Color doesn't bleed, but it is on the intense side. The Fall leaves and atmosphere really comes through the calibrated component progressive set. Purple and Green witch outfits appear robust, but lips on some of the actors seem too vivid red.
Paul

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
y would disney not release this anamorphic??? most of the disney stuff has been released in OAR anamorphic, y not now?

l8rz

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Heads up, people. This is going to be the normal operations for Disney catalog titles, I'm afraid.

Anything that states - 1:85.1 Widescreen is in actually an LD mastered Letterbox transfer.

I have found this on many of the Disney/BV titles coming out.

It is very difficult determing any of these titles aspect ratio and widescreen version.

I believe they are doing this purposely. Hoping people will not notice on a regualr TV that they don't have an anamorphic widescreen title.

I'm afraid they may be correct. Many people buying widescreen DVDs do not have a WS TV, but plan on upgrading.

In my opinion - putting widescreen on a non-anamorphic title is irresponsible. They should use Letterboxed so that people understand that this is a sub-standard widescreen release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks