What's new

Where is Cube 2: Hypercube? (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely LOVED the horror/sci-fi hybrid, CUBE, and it is one of my most watched DVDs! When I heard about a sequel, I was indifferent at first, but then I got excited about it, because maybe they can follow up the simply classic original with a badass sequel. I mean, the Hypercube concept is quite interesting to say the least.
Well, the set release date for CUBE 2 has come and gone, but the problem is, it wasn't released on that date, and I've heard absolutely nothing more about it. Anyone know what the deal is?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, I hadn't heard about this! Hope it can come close to living up to the original!

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
The movie was supposed to be released on June 25th. I work at Hollywood Video and I had about 3 or 4 customers ask me why we didn't have it. We have an internet hook up at work so I looked it up. It seems that the filmmakers didn't make it through post production fast enough to make the deadline. So now the movie is coming out early next year. I heard Jan floating around.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I just saw this link on the Coming Attractions website to the trailer for Hypercube. Unfortunately, I didn't think the trailer lived up to my admittedly high expectations for this film. Still looking forward to it though, hopefully the story makes it more original and not as much a rehash of the original cube as the trailer makes it seem. Anyway, here is the link to the CA page. The link to the trailer is at the bottom.
http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/cube2.html

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Since every DVD has been re-released about 6 times so far, I'm still hoping for a new version of Cube with an anamorphic transfer. :emoji_thumbsup:
I'm looking forward to the sequel as well.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure this is going to video, April 2003 is what IMDB says atm too. I'm kinda curious to check this out as well even though I wonder about why one would want to make a sequel for the movie at all.
Here is a link to the trailer for those interested, since the one above seems to be offline.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
It's definetly going straight to DVD and the tentative date is March-April, should be right, there is no point or reason to postpone is further than that.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Lions Gate is releasing "Hypercube" here (Region 1) on April 15, along with a Signature Series rerelease of "Cube".

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't understand the fuss of Cube. I just watched it for the first time and was quite disappointed after hearing raves about it here. The original concept was cool, but the dialogue was bad and the acting even worse. Also, most of the math stuff didn't even make sense or was poorly done.
And although they may have decided on the ending to keep you guessing, personally, I would have liked them to touch on what the hell the cube was.
Does anyone else agree with me?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
As I said, CUBE is one of my all time favorites, and I can't say I agree with you. The acting was fine if you ask me, and I am quite happy that they didn't tell us what the cube was, as I like eerie things like this to remain ambiguous and up to interpretation.
Anyhow, while I have the current DVD of this gem, I can't wait for the new SE! I've already got that sucker preordered along with CUBE II. I can't wait for both!

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Jeremy - I'll agree with you, sort of.

I enjoyed the movie, it was a neat concept and I knew nothing about it when I rented it. Acting was so so

Your right the the math seemed awfully questionable and the sequence and way they found their way out seemed too simple for the complexity of the cube.

I would also have like to learn more about the "Cube" but

I imagine they left it up to the viewer to decide because anything they put in would ridiculus and non-believable

Here's something I never understood in General

When in a desperate situation, there seems to be somebody that is the bully trouble maker or antagonist. This person contributes nothing but chaos and mayhem to an already desperate situation. I'd like to see a movie where they kill this guy right away.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the first Cube, but I do admit many elements don't hold up on multiple viewings, especially some of the acting.

I am anxiously awaiting Cube 2 and hoping it will be just as good as the first one. There's almost nothing more frustrating than really wanting to see a movie, then finding out for whatever reason you can't. (this and Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses for example).

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I think is probably a good thread to resurrect to discuss Cube 2 : Hypercube in prep for its DVD release.

Having now seen this, I can't help but feel that it suffers most of the problems that are found in sequels. It has some interesting concepts, but spends far too few time exploring them.

The film opens very similarly to the original by having a scared person awakening in an odd cube shaped room with six doors. This is obvious to those familiar with the first that the rules are different. This cube is more streamlined, with none of the (excellent) etching on the walls and touch activated doors. Additionally, the laws of physics seem to vary from room to room, including inconsistencies in everything from gravity to time. In a strange departure, there are very few traps and even less thinking about the traps. This I think is the single most disappointing factor about the film - the cube is hardly dangerous at all. Practically all who are endangered by the cube bring it on themselves, sometimes actively. The traps are so sparse that there is never even a thought by the characters to determine when they will appear.

The film instead focuses on an elaborate conspiracy theory far in excess of the nicely phrased speculation of the first film. They answer tons of questions through exposition or through exposed occupations. The movie tries to make the most of its twists, but so many of them are inconsequential that it doesn't really matter. It starts to get especially silly near the end as the "coincidences" pile on top of each other and undermine much of what preceded it.

The concept of the hypercube is incredibly interesting, and they obviously thought about things that may occur in them. But they don't even pause to speculate why the things happen, just accepting them as they are. The solution to the cube is so mishandled that there is no discussion at all about how it is arrived at.

A shame altogether. It was fun to watch based on their brief touches with the concept of fourth dimensional objects, but I can't see purchasing this for repeated viewings.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Also, there are a number of things that I perceived as plot holes. Perhaps you could help out:1. The movie shows that the Hypercube has a finite lifespan before imploding. Therefore, there is a maximum amount time that one can remain in the hypercube. I would normally take this to mean that someone couldn't remain in the hypercube indefinitely. However, the psycho is able to age and become a long lived cannibal by feeing on alternate versions of tons of people. Assuming that the cube itself has a limited lifespan, how was he able to accomplish this? I would assume that he found a room that had a much slower time reference. If he moved to other rooms, he would have left his slow timeline and returned to the normal speed of the decay of the cube. So he must have found a "slow" room and just waited for people to come across him so he could eat them. Doesn't make much sense to me.

2. The movie shows that the eventual solution was an hour minute second combination. But it provides no day, month, or year reference. So how did they know that the particular instance of the time was the one that would lead to the collapse of the cube?

3. The movie eventually revolves around Izon and the pursuit of Alex. Alex has escaped into the cube to avoid capture, to which the Military Industrial Complex sends the lead character to retrive something she had. Now Alex seems to have built the cube for the MIC's next generation rat maze test. So how did they not know what she looked like? Why did they throw a ton of their own personnel into this particular Hypercube participant pool? Why did they include the Private Investigator and his target in with this ton of Izon personnel?

4. The film shows that the multi-room cube eventually shrinks to one cube that has all things occuring at once. Shouldn't this cube have been packed to the gills with versions of people still in the Hypercube? It had all the writing from the other cube, as well as the corpse.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
#4. I had assumed that there would still be different time frames, and thus they only saw one.
What I found really silly about the answer was that by adding one second and multiplying the single digits, you get 42, which we all know is the secret of the universe!
Yeah, that was bad! Sorry! :)
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks