What's new

Where in time would you go??... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I remember having a story idea right after I saw Titanic. It was about a time traveller from the near future who goes back to experience the Titanic on its last few days. In the the beginning of the story we are told that if you go in the past the physics of time travel do not allow you to bring anything back. At the end of the story as the time traveller is about to leave as the titanic is sinking. The people who are in control in the future are having problems fixing on his signal. So he has to endure the sinking. To save him they do a wide band recall figuring time would only allow his return through time. But, are astonished to see hundreds of people appear in the future. The whole thing being since history recorded their deaths and their bodies were never recovered(of the 1,517 deaths only 328 bodies were recovered). They were affected by the time travel recall "beam".

Can you imagine how someone from 1912 would react to how our world is now? Someone like Astor or Guggenheim...Where's my money??? :)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
”It would probably take all of my strength not to break down crying because i'd be the only one there who knows what happens 4 days later”.

No no John: pick a day when absolutely nothing of importance happened, that will be bad enough.

Emily: My, isn’t’ the moonlight terrible?
Emily: . “I can’t go on. It goes so fast. We don’t have time to look at one another”
...........(take me back) up the hill—to my grave.”
“Oh earth, you’re too wonderful for anybody to realize you.” “Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it?---every, every minute?”

Mary M S

Screenwriter
enigmatic
If I’m interpreting correctly. Sorry!
Should have credited.
Knowing your fascination with Tiantic and reading your post for a split second I pictured really walking the boards of Titanic, suddenly visualizing the reality of how awful it would be to relive many things (having foreknowledge of outcome, yet only present to witness).

Emily is from Thorton Wilder's “Our Town”. The opening scene is her funeral. She goes ‘back’ to relive a day.
They warn her it will be too much to bear even if she picks the most uneventful day of her life.

What if a demon were to creep after you one day or night, in your loneliest loneness, and say : "This life which you live and have lived, must be lived again by you, and innumerable times more. And there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and every sigh - everything unspeakably small and great in your life - must come again to you, and in the same sequence and series...". Would you not throw yourself down and curse the demon who spoke to you thus?
Frederick Nietzsche "The Gay Science" 1882

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Ah, , okay, I wasn't getting the referrance before. But yes, there are lots of things that happen everyday that are aweful, any day. Being back in 1912 I would have knowledge of many other terrible events to come, that's very true, and to have that knowledge and not take action would require strength that I don't possess, which is why i'm relieved that time travel isn't a reality.

And yep, i've envisioned myself walking the decks of TITANIC too many times to count.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I've always had a desire to see what my hometown looked liked at various points in history. First, I'd like to see it at around 1900, just before all the houses in my neighborhood were built. Then, back to a time before there were people around here, ever - I don't know exactly how far back that would be. Hopefully, this would be after the last ice age. Finally, I'd like the way-back machine to take me back to the time of the dinosaurs. Again, I don't know exactly when that would be - there was an era when my area was at the bottom of a sea. Don't want to go back and drown right away.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Here are my 3:

1. Jerusalem 33 AD.

2. Hiroshima 08/06/1945 from about 20 miles away.

3. Bronx, NY Hospital 03/25/1964. My birth.

James L White

Supporting Actor
I'd go back to when the Titanic sank and stear it away from the iceberg, I would be famous for saving hundreds or even thousands of lives and ruining the future movie :D ;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

And you would create a paradox that would potentially kill 10 times that of TITANIC because there would not be any safety revisions made to the shipping lanes, ships or the crew of those ships, all that came about because of the TITANIC tragedy. It would also erase a shared common interest between myself any many of my friends who, without the interest in TITANIC, might not be my friends today.

But I know you were kidding. ;)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
The book Timeline by Michael Chricton made me think about what life would have been like, or could have been like, back in the medieval days with knights and maidens and all that....something that has always intrigued me.

I would like to go back and see some of that. OF course, not the bubonic plague stuff.

I have this strong suspicion that the women in those days were far more sensual, persuasive and utlimately beautiful than our modern ladies.
dont know, but something in me tells this is true.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Reminds me of a story by Michael Moorcock, Behold the Man, about a time traveller who goes back in time to meet Jesus, finds Mary and Joseph and discovers their son is a mentally retarded hunchback. The time traveller takes the place of Jesus and dies on the cross.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you'd be all that famous. The only reason you think you would is because we live in a time when the Titanic tragedy exists. If you steered it clear of the iceberg, you'd only be a hero to the captain (and maybe the lookout guys), because no one would have ANY idea of what an enormous impact you made to the crew and passengers. Thus, you'd just be doing a job and nothing else.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Eh... he may see himself coming out of some strange woman and realize he was switched at birth, adopted, or worse.

--
H

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Mark has a great point as well, if TITANIC never strikes the iceberg, it instantly becomes a non-event that never happened, Captain Smith and the crew would be greatful, but only a few passengers who were on deck would be aware that the ship ALMOST hit an iceberg but didn't, so it would be no big deal.

It would be nothing more than an interesting topic at breakfast the next morning and then it would be forgotten.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
1. Jerusalem, circa 33 AD.

2. Anytime in the Cretaceous so I could see T-Rex in action.

3. Macchu Picchu, Peru, 1400s. Would love to know exactly how they built that city.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I know that this is ficticious, but for the hell of it I would go buy a copy of The Da Vinci Code, highlight all of the major events and places in it and then set out on a journey across time to disprove everything said in that God forsaken book.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Shit! That exorcist face again! Ahhh! That's enough to age you. I'd go back in time and prevent John Williamson from using that hideous photo.

- Colton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks