1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Where home theater and pro audio meet...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tyson Wetzel, May 18, 2005.

1. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody have any experience building large home theaters with the need for mic input? I'm thinking about bidding on a project b/c I want to sell the video, but I know the customer will need speakers that are more like E/V and less like Polk Audio. I also think pro audio amplification would be a better fit. The problem I have no experience with mixers and devices like that so I'm a little hesitant.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Well mixers aren't anything special, think of them as just another front-end source like a tuner, CDP, etc.

Where experience comes into play is knowing the proper speakers for the installation, because 'live' audio feeds have MUCH higher transients than any recording.

Any of the brand name prosound amps are going to be adequate to the task as long as they've got plenty of power.

Where you're likely to get into problems is the fact that there's a ton of cheap 'DJ' equipment out there. And it's cheap for a reason, even if it has 'EV' or some other big name brand on it.

Something else to consider is that you might want to spec a compressor into the quote. They limit the dynamic range, and if prudently used, can save the speakers if someone idiot 'pops' into or 'thumps' on a mic.

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Consider EAW JFX series speakers, like the 10" two-way, for all positions. Get a double-18" subwoofer from a well-known brand for bass.

Or, this will be extremely better:
    Hit up Sound Physics Labs, Inc. for a set of their Runt speakers for all positions. Then hit up Danley Sound Labs for their PB-12 subwoofer.

4. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

I was considering using Community speakers and Crown amplification from the pro world. I thought I would use a Sunfire TGIV for processing. I guess my main question is how best to insert mic inputs.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Depends on where the mic signal goes. If it needs to coëxist with the theater programming (simultanious) then you need to have a mixer of some kind (numerous kinds available.) Otherwise, it's just another input to your switcher - although you'd probably need a pre-amp to get it to level-match with the rest of the AV sources.

I've nothing against Crown amps; most recently, I've used mostly QSC, but Crown Micro- and Macro-Tech lines are good. (Don't know about the others.)

Side note: also consider a sequenced power supply. You want any mixers on before the amps power on. Mixers usually put out one h--- of a thump when they power on.

Leo

6. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

I think a simple 2ch DJ style mixer inserted in the "front cables" between the processor and power amp would work fine. Probably going to cost more and be more complicated if you want the mic output on all speakers.

Have a look at Yorkville speakers too. They may be available cheaper since your in alaska and the Elite series should be more then capable.

Crown amps are great, cant go wrong there. But I kinda agree with Leo, i'd probably choose QSC.

7. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Pro sound subwoofers don't go especially deep and are, at best, only suitable for pro audio. If you must use Community, I suggest a pair of Tandem-Drive TD218S subwoofers and then SLS915 or SLS920 speakers all around.

But your client will appreciate my other suggestion a lot more (SPL Runts, Danley PB12). The SPL Runts have a very high-fidelity sound while being capable of lots of output.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Tyson,

It would be easier to advise you if you could give us some idea of the customer’s intentions for the mic. Is it for karoke? For announcements before or after the movie? For added commentary during the movie? Each of these scenarios might require a different equipment and/or system connection scheme.

If it’s only for announcements it might be as easy as adding a separate stand-alone system for the mic, with a single speaker co-located near the center channel. That would allow regular (read less expensive) hi-fi speakers and amplification to be used for the movie sound track.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt