Where have all the Panasonic RP82's gone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee-M, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking for this unit all over the internet, and it show up as out-of-stock or discontinued everywhere. Has Panasonic ceased production of this unit, or were they all bought off the shelves during the holiday season?

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Where have all the RP82's gone?
    Long time passing
    Long time ago
    HT geeks have purchased them every one
    When will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?
    Couldn't resist [​IMG]

3. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Lee-M, if you did a seach on this subject you would find several other threads (I think I myself started one). It appears these players have been discontinued. Some stores are claiming they will have more shipments soon, but none seem to have them in stock now.

I think we should call a moratorium on this subject. Enough about finding RP82s - that is, unless you know where they can be found and feel like sharing that information!

Otherwise, anyone looking for these should just hit the old search option. I'm not trying to single you out, Lee, like I said, I myself started a thread like this. But if you visit this forum often enough, the multiple RP82 threads start to grow tiring - especially if, like me, you really want one but can't have one.

4. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Well i finally got one,at a high price though. Go with the next best thing and thats the CP72 its dirt cheap also after rebate.

5. Thang_N.

Thang_N. Stunt Coordinator

Closest I got to the CP82 was yesterday, when I just called a couple Fry's Electronics and all of them told me that this one location showed that they had 3 instock. I called that location and a female rep picked up claiming she never heard of it...[​IMG]
    So i just drove there after work figuring she didn't know anyway.. So i asked the a sales rep and he stated to me " Why's so many ppl want that DVD PLayer???" I then asked him do you have any left?, He then said, " sorry I just sold my last one 10 MINUTES AGO.."
    And I saw the gentlemen who had it in line as I was waiting... I offered him 250 for it but he just rolled his eyes, that JERK!!!![​IMG]

6. terry deto

terry deto Stunt Coordinator

Terry
    Brown TV & Video
    Northborough, MA

508-393-8713

might have some

7. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

What do you guys have against spending a few bucks more for the same guts and better build quality by picking up a Pany XP50 instead?
    Your DVD player is the prime video source in your system for pristine video. If you want that legendary PQ of the RP82 and can't find one, I for one would merely grab an XP50 - unless you "must have" the RP82's coaxial digital video output instead of only the XP50's optical digital video output.
    I inspected an XP50 in a store recently and it felt and looked well-built and real serious. [​IMG]

8. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

The XP50 has all the internal that the RP82 has, but it doesn't have the PQ (Yes, with Avia calibration). I sent mine back to Crutchfield after a couple weeks.

All the best,

Tim

9. dave.lopp

dave.lopp Auditioning

Does anyone have any alternatives to this DVD? I'm building my HT system from scratch and am looking for progressive scan, mult-disc, if I can get it. Another newbie question--if my receiver decodes a particular surround format, does it matter if my DVD does?

10. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

I had the CP-72 for a week and it's a very nice player. Has as good a PQ as I've seen, shows full filename of MP3 files (if you care), and you can still get it in black. I sent mine back because it was a little too deep for my cabinet and the tray looked a bit too prone to damage from my young boys who use it all the time.

Your receiver may very well have a better decoder built into it than the player, but you can go either way. If you want to listen to DVD-Audio, you'll have to use the player's analog outs.

Tim

11. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

I just picked up my RP82...gonna go set it up now [​IMG]

12. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Damn Canadians!