What's new

Where have all the DLP RPTV's gone? (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I did check out Magnolia Hi Fi in San Ramon. They did not have a Samsung unit, but were pushing a Pioneer DLP for about ... $5,000.

The Fry's Electronics in San Diego had sold out of 50" Samsung units, and has a wait list. They did have a beautiful 61" Mitsu DLP unit for ... $9,000 in their demo room.

But that was it for DLP units.

I do know of a Tweeters in downtown I may run by and see.

Side note:

The best bang-for-the-buck television I saw was a 60" Mitsu unit with built-in tuner for $2,700. That extra $1300 - could buy a DVD recorder, Progressive Scan DVD player or Dish HD receiver. (Perhaps all 3 if I do my shopping right). It's a lot more toy for the money. Crap!

I like the 'teckie' attraction of the DLP, but I may have to go budget unless something changes in the job situation soon.

CharlesDLP

Auditioning
"It may be the progressive scan feature from the DVD player and the DCDi from the DLP conflicting with each other. I've had this problem a few times before and I had to manually shut down the progressive feature on the DVD player because the DCDi is so much better."

Regarding DCDi processing and the HLN series DLP sets:

The 3:2 pull down circuitry only works in the NTSC 480i and does not work in 480P, 720P or 1080i inputs. These scan rates "bypass" the Faroudja DCDi and 3:2 pull down circuits.

DNIE works on all analog inputs however, including the wideband component video and the inputs for progressive scan DVD players.

Low Profile
www.lowpro.net

Don Petsche

Agent
The HLN has 3 sets of Component inputs. Component 1 is 480i/480p and is where I believe the FLI chip is active (I'm guessing). Component 2 and 3 are 480p/720p/1080i, and the "film" option was greyed out for me when demoing those inputs. Film is also greyed out (as "on") with the player in Progressive mode connected to component 1.

I can only tell you what I've experienced, which is that Film ON & greyed with player in progressive mode (when hooked to Component 1) isn't optimum. Shut off progressive, Film "ON" and no longer greyed on Component 1, looks good. I'm using a Phillips 724 Progressive DVD. Not the most expensive unit, I admit. A gift, I can't complain.

Sorry to perhaps be on a tangent here. Maybe this goes back to needing a clean source, and the set will show the weakness of a cheap progressive player? - so much so that just turning it off and using the built in FLI works best for me. Now, what I haven't done is watched for any extended period of time with my player in progressive on Component 2 or 3. Maybe its time to dig behind the entertainment center and recable. . in the name of science?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Since the best non-DVI solution for DVD watching on the HLN series of sets is to use component video to the Component 1 inputs and set your player to be interlaced, what's a good use for the other sets of component inputs on the TV? I'd like to hook up a GameCube and PS2 to the TV, and get progressive scan for games that support it. I suppose I could run everything through the component switcher on my reciver and then into Component 1 on the TV, but is that the best way to do it?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Don: that first input is really intended for a progressive scan DVD player. Something that always gives a 480 signal.

The other two CANNOT take a 480 signal so these are dedicated for a STB, Sat HD Decoder, CATV HD Decoder, etc.

The problem with game systems (at least the XBox world), different games can produce different video formats. If you could leave the games producing 480 - that first input would work fine. I'd buy a cheap switcher and feed both games, and a progressive-scan DVD player into this input.

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Interestingly (or not) I was wandering around Currys this evening just to get a vague idea of differing video quality for RPTV's ('im currently considering my options) and one of the TV's they had on display was a 44" LG DLP rear projection television.

The picture was excellent, especially considering they had it in a fairly well lit part of the store compared to their dimmed 'big TV' section.

The Toshiba 42PW23P TV looked very grainy and fuzzy by comparison. I'm sure some of that is down to the usual appalling set up standards but I was really pretty startled. The LGE also just looked nicer. however it's pretty much at the top end of my scale (£2.5k) so I'd have to be pretty sure it was worth the extra dough.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Edit : A bit of casual wandering around the web seems to suggest that this is the first (and I guess only) DLP TV currently on the market in the UK and is available exclusively through bricks n' mortar Currys. I guess they must be trailing it or something.

Don Petsche

Agent
Don: that first input is really intended for a progressive scan DVD player. Something that always gives a 480 signal.
I agree, it is your only choice for 480 interlaced, however a progressive DVD player will work on component 2 and 3 of an HLN, if you don't have other sources at 720p/1080i that you need to cable there. It is my understanding that progressive is non-interlaced, or 480"p". What I was curious about is if there is a difference where the FLI chip circuitry is/is not regardless of whether enabled.

The FLI chip is wonderful at 3:2. I believe better than whatever chip is in my player, better than most from what I've read elsewhere. What I've wondered is if my progressive player will look better on Component 2 in progressive mode than it does on Component 1 in progressive mode. . . a question to the internals of this set and how the board(s) are glued together. It shouldn't make a bit of difference, but having been around computers and complex systems in work and play, it is sometimes surprising what a "bypassed" circuit or piece of software code can sometimes do.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I saw the 50in Samsung DLP set at BB for the first time today. They were selling it for 3999. It was set up to receive an OTA HD signal from a local station. The HD picture was stunning. I thought it looked better than the plasma's. According to the sales person I was speaking to the 50in Samsungs are selling very well.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The Samsung DLP unit is very popular. It's got great features besides having a stunning picture. I have been looking for the 61" unit to demo, but Samsung only sells the larger units to higher-end stores and custom installers.

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
After reading all the above, I see I have a choice in terms of how my DVD player is connected to the Samsung 61 inch DLP. I can either have my Panny RP82 convert to progressive and send a 480p signal to the component 1 input on the TV, or send the original 480i signal to the TV and have the TV do the conversion. Do any of you have an idea as to which of these options is better?

Elias

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks