What's new

Where has all my music gone!!?? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Over the last few years I've had over 90,000 mp3 music files stored on my external Seagate USB hard drive. Never had any issues. Well the other day I plugged in the drive to pull out some tunes and discovered that pretty much every artist folder is missing the MP3 music files. All they are is either empty folders now, or there are album art covers and a file named "desktop" sitting in the folders. All music has vanished.

Here's the really odd part, when I right click on the main "Music" folder, it shows I have almost 400GB of data residing in the folder! So, riddle me this, what has happened to the music files, did I mistakenly "hide" then or something?

I'm stumped, anyone have any ideas how I can find/retrieve them??

Thanks in advance.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It's possible the master file table for the drive has been hosed up which would explain why you see data taking up space but your files are missing.

Search the drive for *.mp3 and that will tell you if your computer still recognizes that your mp3 files are still there.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ok this is getting weirder by the minute. I went to my One Drive folder where I also had a copy of all my music. Now its folders (99%) are showing up empty. So my final resort was dig out my older WD external drive where I originally stored the files and you guessed it, pretty much every artist folder is emty, not a single MP3 file to be found. But when I click Properties, the WD drive says I have almost 900GB used.

WTF is going on?? Why can't I find these MP3 files anymore? This is happening on my older laptop and now my new one.

I scanned the Seagate USB drive and no viruses found.

Help!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I truly feel for you-- the same thing happened to me a few years ago. I only lost about 200 songs but i tried for days to retrieve them on my HP Desktop computer. I never got them back, and no viruses at all.
They were just gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks