What's new

Where does the problem lie?? (1 Viewer)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Today I decided to watch Gladiator at reference level volume, and I noticed that when the action scenes came up like the opening scene and a couple of the coliseum fight scenes where there was a large demand for power for the receiver (vsx-49tx) I saw my monster cable hts 5100 powercenter's amp rating more than double during these scene's. Anyways, during these scenes when there was a LOUD mid-freq noise like chariots running into walls or sword blades hitting armor located in the center channel speaker (klipsch rc-7) that is sitting on top of my tv (sony vega 27") the tv began to flicker violently in the upper left corner of the screen. I don't know if this a problem with my receiver because my dvd player is routed through the component inputs and maybe since there is such a draw for power for the audio section of the receiver the the video side loses some of it's current and hence video quality suffers, or maybe my tv has a loss of current and it flickers for that same reason (now remember the upper left corner is where the tv picture starts on all interlaced tv's). Finally it could be aproblem with my speaker maybe some downside to using horns instead of tweeters or because the sound is vibrating the tv but I've never heard of this before. Gladiator is probably my favorite movie I've watched it about 10 times on this system but never at reference level before and I never had this problem, but other than these scenes everything else was fine and I highly recommend watching it at such volumes the movie is funner and more involving in such an enviroment, and no shutdown probs on my 49tx either. Since I don't know where the this problem lies I am going to post it in all three forums tv's, speakers,and receivers and see who knows the problem. Thx in advance for any help.

Daniel Smith

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
i would suspect it is the vibration from the cntr channel , i had a toshiba that suffered from the same problem, try a piece of foam under the speaker.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Sounds like it could be a shielding issue with your center channel. I have noticed a similar effect on my 1995-vintage 32" Sony when playing at high volumes with my Boston CRC

RichardMA

Second Unit
This is one reason my large (80lb) custom centre channel
is suspended by a special stand above my television set.
I saw this using a Paradigm CC-300 which was also a large
(42lb) centre channel. TV set construction SUCKS. They are
essentially 200lb picture tubes mounted in flimsy plastic
boxes. It's not wonder they are susceptable to direct
vibration. They also use the cavernous plastic boxes
as "bass assists" with their crummy built-in sound systems.

RichardMA

Second Unit
Oh yes, I forgot. Audioquest makes sorbothane half circles
that you can put between two components as supports to
isolate them (respectively) from each other. Cost about
$70 for 4 of them, they are 2.5" wide and hemispherical.
Colour is translucent blue and they do not bounce!

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I had the same issue with my C-7, so I put some small stick-on rubber feet on it and problem went away.

RichardMA,

What center are you running?? I've got a Klipsch KLF-10 that I converted. Sound is incredible. Eventually I want to do a 20 or 30 since they're 3-way's & will match my 30's up front even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks