What's new

Where Does the Money Come From? (1 Viewer)

John Stuart

Agent
Real Name
John Stuart
Everytime I hear this excuse for 90 shows being cancelled like "The Flash" I wonder why things like that didn't happen today when the companies are spending 200 million bucks to sell bad movies like Superman: Returns or 10 millions to produce a single LOST episode...

I mean, think about it. Take a look at that excuse (from Babylon 5/TV show):

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW WARNER, FOX, PARAMOUNT, UNIVERSAL, AND ALL OTHER COMPANIES ARE SO RICH TODAY? THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. :crazy:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's all apples to oranges. A show with "The Flash"'s production values today would never make it on the air. I'm not talking about the special effects either; the sound, the production quality, etc. just scream "TV!" in a way that shows don't today. That higher production quality costs quite a bit of money.

At the same time, the optical special effects were much more time-consuming and much more expensive (relatively speaking) than their digital equivilants today. A show like "Smallville" can be produced more cheaply than a show like "CSI", which is a big difference from when "The Flash" cost substantially more than the rest of the schedule.

The quality of Superman Returns is a matter of opinion. Many like it a great deal in spite of its flaws, myself included. Either way, I don't think it's fair to compare a $200 million tentpole blockbuster to a 1990 TV series that was frequently preempted by Gulf War coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks