What's new

Where does the intended intermission come during FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have rented the Korean edition of this film on DVD through Nicheflix, as I grow tired of Disney's many and unending delays for many of its announced titles. It runs a full 179 minutes, yet there is no overture, and there appears to be no intermission. Does anyone know at what point the intermission for this film was supposed to be? (BTW - the transfer is okay. Colors are undersaturated, but aliasing and edge enhancement appear to be minimal. A trailer is included. Nice to see the 2.35:1 ratio!)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
at the end of a very long and spectacular scene of Chris Plummer enteringthe roman forum on a chariot, he get out of the chariot and goes into the temple of Jupiter and there is a close up as he looks up at the statue originally with music coming out of this scene saying intermission.
Sadly, it looks like a long time before we get this or el cid etc. Fall had one of those ten minute "making ofs" done at the time of the film. I hope they include this, and the silly trailer (The film has not one, two, but ALL the known emotions!!)

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Joe,

What makes you say it may well be ages before we see these titles, I realise they have been delayed since first mentioned as Miramax releases 2-3 years ago, have you had any firm updates from someone in Miramax that they are not gonna happen?

Incidently, Dick, it may be very nice to see FotRE in 2.35:1 - I've only even ever seen it in 16:9 courtesy of a BBC showing - but the original shooting ratio of 2.76:1, in Ultra Panavision, means your still missing a good chunk of the photographed image...roll on HD-DVD!

M

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
well, THIS was released last Summer in Korea-a box of FALL/PEKING/EL CID
all are in 2.35 Anamorphic- @$45.

http://www.koreandvds.com./dvddetail.html?id=10458

when word got out of the long delayed PULP FICTION SE was being snapped up from Korea, BV suddenly sat up and took notice...

soooo maybe this will light a fire under them

(16x9-or bust!:b)

StevenFC

Second Unit
I'd give a pocketful of dinar to add this one to my collection. Nobody chews up scenery like Plummer. And Sophia Loren is a hoot.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Along with Spartacus, Fall Of The Roman Empire is one of the most literate and intelligent of the ancient Rome epic genre. Thank heavens for the Image laser disc which includes the overture and intermission which will hold me happily over until the eventual DVD release.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks, Joe. I hadn't been looking for it so early into the film (at the 85m52s mark out of 179 minutes), as most epics place their intermissions at least 60% into the film, leaving a much shorter second halve. This is an exception, evidently. What about EL CID, which I am also renting and which I suspect also lacks an intermission card. Do you know where the break point is on that one?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Dick:

I saw the reissue of EL CID a few years ago. I don't remember the timing, but in the first scene *after* the intermission, the Cid now has a scar on his face as a number of years have passed.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Readers of Douglas Pratt's DVD-Laser Disc Newsletter have just voted EL CID the 5th Most Wanted DVD. Miramax are crazy to be still sitting on this and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE plus the other Samuel Bronston epics.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Could somebody who has all the foreign dvd releases of the Bronston films let me know exactly what music is missing off of each title so I can pass this information on to Miramax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks