where does high end begin

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joel jocson, Sep 27, 2002.

1. joel jocson

joel jocson Extra

Not sure where to post this topic so I thought I would start here to get the ball rolling. I was curious on opinions of where the line is and what brands are considered to be of low, mid, and high end equipment.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    IMO, it's an attitude (not a qualifier of performance). I get the equipment that sounds good to me in my system (regardless of its perception as low or high end). For example, I feel my Paradigm Studio speakers (perceived as mid-range) outperform _some_ "high-end" ($10k+) offerings. Listing companies in certain categories is just going to cause people to rush in and defend their product choices.

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I think high end is not a definite line that separates itself from the low and mid level equipment. In fact, I feel that Hi End is when a product's design, build and inner parts suggest that sound 'QUALITY' is more of the focus then anything else. However, how high end your system may be is in the EAR of the beholder and performance will definitely diminish as you put more money into it.

High end includes software as well. No need to play classic hip hop in your very revealing system right? You can obviously play whatever you want to play but I feel it's safe to say that if you spend all of that time building your very revealing system you would also appreciate finer recordings and music. You can throw professionally tuned and treated rooms in their as well. High end is an attitude as Greg stated above and if so, your system should reflect that attitude accordingly.

According to my own definition, I don't have a high end system. However, I do enjoy excellent recordings and tweaking my system and room to get as much performance as possible out of it.

4. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Greg:

5. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

im gonna say it has a lot to do with your point of refrence.
    i consider my system mid-fi at best (marantz av9000/ma500 X 5/adire kit 281's), however depending on your angle it is "incredibly high end", or "a good start"
    i work for Target, and sold a pretty basic HT system to a guest today since chance had it i'd was in the electronics area that moment. he got a mid grade 27" panny TV (since i convinced him he HAD to have an s-vid input, kenwood HTB, and a pretty cheezy magnavox DVD. (plus necessaty cables, from our RCA premium line [​IMG] , 10 bucks for an s-video and a pair of interconnects ) guy walks out the door for like 650 bucks.
    now there are lots of us here who have more money than this in cables/power conditioning alone. to him i have a high end system. to the guy with the mark levison rig, im just getting warmed up.
    high end is what the guy with the nicer rig than yours has. low end is what the guy behind you has.
    the higher in the "food chain" you get, the more people there are behind you saying your rig is high end.
    any of that mess make sence? [​IMG]

6. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

High end begins in your mind. One mans high end could be another mans Junk.

8. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Yea Yogi:
    The quest for High end ends when your pocketbook hurts and your satisfied with the sound and investment and begins again when either of the above factors change.
    I know many on this forum think I have junk. But, I'm satisfied with my high end junk.
    Mike[​IMG]

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

There you go Mike thats the kind of attitude you need to have if you want to be happy. I believe that the satisfied guy with his sub 1K rig has higher end gear then the unsatisfied anal audiophile with his 100K gear because there is no absolute line delineating the high end with the low end and the only distinction between the two exists in your mind or shall I say your pocket[​IMG]
    If you are satisfied with your rig then you have high-end gear and if you are unsatisfied with your (100K) rig then you have low end gear.

10. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Hi end begins where my budget ends...[​IMG]

11. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Yogi:
    Yep - I'm with you on this. I'm glad you called my junk my "rig". I like to think of it that way!
    Thanks for the comments all - have a nice day!
    Mike[​IMG]

12. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

13. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Martice,
    I'm hungry too now [​IMG]
    More to the point, this is a pretty interesting thread, and I'd have to agree that "high-end" is a state of mind. You could have DIY or kit speakers that cost a fraction of the price of a commercial design, yet best the more expensive speaker in quality if not aesthetics. Really, high-end, hi-fi, mid-fi, lo-fi and all the other buzz words are just putting a label on what is essentially a perception thing. High-end to me is when sound quality reaches a certain standard. This can be achieved for $1000 or $100,000.
    However, I feel that as ppl get more and more addicted to the audio hobby (and it is an addiction), then they focus more on achieving a "better" sound, whatever that means, and lose focus on enjoyment. Not everyone mind you, but some ppl become so disillusioned that they listen to the same 5 tracks over and over again and fret over whether the pitch of the guy's cough in the 7th row of the audience is tonally correct in their reference recording. To me, this is not what audio is about, its about enjoyment and what sounds good to yourself. I've met some guys who look in scorn at $2K speakers, and go home to their stereo where they have spent 2K on a pair of interconnects alone. There is a lot of bogus stuff out there, and I personally feel that most of the audio stuff is overpriced. Can $20K speakers really have better engineering than a 20K car? Well, I guess only the guy signing the cheque on the other end can decide. [​IMG] That being said, there are bargains to be found out there too, and quality in the end is judged by a lot of listening for yourself. OK, my rant is finished [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Mike

14. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

15. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely Martice. I was trying to get across that sound quality is subjective, hence the differing perceptions of high-end. It probably didn't come out right in the text [​IMG] But certainly, I wouldn't call a $500 receiver high-end, we gotta put things in perspective and be realistic. But I believe some so-called mid-fi products actually give performance not dissimilar to high-end equipment.
    But to answer the original poster's question, companies like Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Krell, Dunlavy, ATC etc are unquestionably high-end. Because its more profitable selling high-volume products, many companies now offer a range of products catering for all budgets and categories. Speaker companies like B&W and JMlab come to mind here, and many others besides.
    Cheers,
    Mike

16. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I agree Mike. Somewhere in between the extremes is where I presently reside.

If anyone is overly concerned with where their system resides in this so called scale of low end to high end all you have to do is first off look at what software you listen to, the overall mix quality of it and also how you listen to it. If you are a critical listener then most will find more reason to tweak and upgrade their gear. How committed and critical you are may decide how much and far you are willing to go to find your sweet spot's, sweet spot. If you found it at a certain price point that fits your bill and level of enjoyment that's good for you. However, to suggest that all gear is created equal is not accurate and if that were the case, we'd all have the bargain basement specials sitting in our racks as we speak.

High end is a state of mind and that state of mind in most cases will stop at ALMOST nothing to achieve a standard that one realizes within him or herself in regards to signal integrity and audio performance.

17. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Yogi:

18. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Martice:

19. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

20. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Yogi: