Where does a song take you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Varacin, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

Example:

A few years ago, I had everything...An awesome job, a wonderful girl, our own place in Connecticut. Life was good. I flew to California for business, but the meeting got done early and I had an extra day and a half to play. I had never been there before.

It was early March, and still had snow on the ground back home. But in was 75 and sunny in CA. I had a great rental car, and bought two CD's while I was cruising around - Creed and Dixie Chicks. I played Higher over and over as I cruised up the Pacific Coast Highway from LA to San Fransisco. It was one of the most refreshing days in my life....The ocean to one side, mountains to the other....the smell of the air, the feeling of the warm sun on my arm sticking out the car window. Plus I knew I had everything I wanted back home.

Since then, I lost my job, my girl, and had to move back home to pay some debts. But every time I hear Higher by Creed, it takes me back to CA, and the day I spent alone in my car...I remember almost every detail...and it comes rushing back every time Higher is played.

Anyone else have these experiences?

2. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Had a similar thing happen when I went out West from NY with close friends about 9 years ago.

As we were crossing the border into California from Nevada we had the EAGLES' Hotel California on the car stereo.

For those of you in the know, the road in the dessert at the borderline is really straight and you can see forever !!!!

I have never felt so free and that song always brings me back there.

Cool topic!

3. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

i feel so lucky i live in california....

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

"LA Woman" by The Doors...

everytime i hear that song i think about my drive down the 10 freeway in los angeles. it was pretty late at night, the freeway was relatively empty and i was...umm...feeling "really" good.

i remember having my sunroof open, my windows down and the stereo cranked. i can recall the wind blasting through the windows and whipping my face with the cool summer air. i can recall the city lights passing me by, whisking by my peripheral vision, teasing me to follow them to some unknown destination. i remember the looks in the other driver's faces...i recall wondering what they were thinking, where they were going, and what kind of events were happening inside their head.

boy, that was a good drive.... [​IMG]

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Toad the Wet Sprocket's album entitled Fear.

Back in 1992 I was a sophomore in college and had a girlfriend who became my fiancee and then became my ex-fiancee (drama excluded for time considerations). She had a "new" 5 disc CD-changer mini-system in her dorm room at college and this disc was loaded in the first disc tray. We would always just hit "play" and fall asleep to it. I would fall asleep at different times, sometimes right after the first few songs, sometimes till the end of the album. I grew to love TTWS musically after she and I were no longer together. But every time I hear that album, I'm back in the dorm room with my arm around her, falling asleep. No one tell my current girlfriend about this, okay? [​IMG]