What's new

Where do you stand on the HTF 'hot topic' movies? (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
2001: A Space Odyssey - I hadn't realized I'd never seen it all the way through until the 70mm print played the area early this year. I think it's one of the very best films ever made, but also am very glad there are very few like it.
Gladiator - A thoroughly disposable couple hours or so. It's not a bad movie, not really, but it's nothing exceptional.
goes relatively unscathed.
Can't speak for anyone else, but Armageddon was a deciding factor in my not seeing Pearl Harbor, so I can't honestly question the capabilities of anyone who enjoyed that latter.
Miller's Crossing - Never seen it.
The Phantom Menace - I absolutely loved this the day it came out - I felt ten years old again and saw it three times that week. Three years later, I'm not quite so excited, but I still think it's very underrated, especially relative to, say, The Matrix (I'll never understand the position that TPM's effects were empty eye candy and The Matrix's weren't). I don't think TPM can be truly appreciated until Episode III comes out - it's much more a part of a larger whole than any of the other movies in the series.
The Blair Witch Project - Scariest movie I've ever seen. It taps into a very elemental fear - being lost in the woods - and uses its verité style to good effect.
Dark City - I love this movie, but know that it (like A.I. after it) caters to a very specific audience, the science fiction fan who enjoys discovering new worlds and big ideas, and doesn't mind the lack of a "back to normal" ending. I wish Proyas would make more movies (when are we Americans going to get Garage Days? And how's that Berserkers franchise coming?).
Fight Club - I like it. I think it's a very good black comedy, though not as important as some of its fans would have you think.
Lawrence of Arabia - Glad to see it on the big screen once. Don't feel the need to ever see it again.
Spider-Man - It would be tough to make a better Spider-Man movie. Even the liberties taken with it were the right liberties.
Titanic - I liked it, though it's sort of in that Gladiator/Lawrence Of Arabia category of being grand in a fairly generic way (though Lawrence has the excuse of being imitated). I imagine it's probably more rewatchable than the other two, but I don't see any need to put that theory to human trials. :)

Jason Little

Agent
2001: A Space Odyssey - one of my all-time favorites, but I definitely see how one could dismiss it as boring and/or pointless.

Gladiator - nothing terribly wrong with it, but nothing terribly awe-inspiring either.

Armageddon - only seen brief parts of it, but that was enough. I'm embarassed that my gf loves this movie.

Miller's Crossing - it's okay.

The Phantom Menace - not bad enough to deserve so much venom, but certainly a disappointment.

The Blair Witch Project - it's a creepily effective experiment and it's ALSO indulgent rambling with a clever ad campaign.

Dark City - "It wasn't all that!"

Fight Club - I really wanted to hate this movie, and I couldn't. Despite its over-stylized hipness, it's brilliant.

Lawrence of Arabia - never seen it

Spider-Man - I don't think this will ever acheive "classic" status. It was pretty good, but just didn't quite thrill me enough.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ok Scott, I’m in:

2001: A Space Odyssey—others have already said it all. A profound film in every respect. I still remember the impact this film had on me when it was first released. The importance of this film and my enjoyment of it have not lessened over time or repeated viewings.

Gladiator—I’m on the ‘depressingly bad’ side of this film. I could forgive the historical anachronisms and the mostly bad computer graphics. I can’t forgive the plot nor the editing, which did little to advance the story. Not as bad as the revisionist criticism, but not good either.

Armageddon—a film with almost no redeeming qualities. Among other things, it is not too hard to see that Bay’s filmmaking springs from making commercials. But this would be on my list of guilty pleasures—it is so over the top that I can enjoy it, if I don’t think at all.

Miller’s Crossing—I don’t think it the Cohen’s finest, but I do truly enjoy the film. But it is not one of the finest gangster films ever. I suppose that this places me somewhere inbetween the good and bad on this one.

The Phantom Menace—I dislike this more than it deserves. Taken in isolation, I would not find much to be scathing about—after all, if its only a film made for eight-year olds (as Lucas maintained), why would one care? I care because it’s the nadir of the ‘Star Wars’ sage, which began (with the first two films) with such promise.

The Blair Witch Project—all of my praise for this film is for its marketing. Probably there was no creativity left for making the actual film.

Lawrence of Arabia—this is a film (like ‘2001’) that had enormous impact on me when I saw it on first release. While I find that impact lessened today, I still love the film and find it hard to wonder about the boring charge. Train wrecks, airplane bombings, looting and pillage, torture and sadism (and pleasure therein), governmental duplicity and the failure of glory, all make this a (for me) riveting film, regardless of its length. Add to that beautiful, sweeping cinematography and brilliant editing and it is still a film to both love and admire.

Citizen Kane—which I was going to leave off the list, but I felt bound to observe that a good many on this forum in a good many prior threads have detailed very specifically why this is a great film—and not just because it is on the top of other’s lists.

Eyes Wide Shut—a film which I think will be recognized as a true classic, given the passage of time.

Titanic—a film that goes to show how hard it is to make even a bad film, and how good a film can be when it is better than its story.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'll bite.
2001: A Space Odyssey - One of those films I respect and appreciate as hallmark of cinema, but I can't come to like it, if for no other reason than the fact that it's pretty boring. If there's one thing I absolutely love (as to just appreciating alone) is the fact that Kubrick was able to combine his cynicism and dreadful view of human existence with some degree of optimism in the end.
Gladiator - Great popcorn movie. Best Picture material by their standards, not mine. :)
Armageddon - Awesome Hollywood action picture. Funny and thrilling, nothing more.
Miller's Crossing - I know it's a Coen Brothers film, but it certainly doesn't feel like it. I liked it nonetheless.
The Phantom Menace - When I first saw it, I thought it was awesome because it was new Star Wars material on the big screen. In hindsight, it's still pretty good, but Jake Lloyd is starting to annoy me. Acting is heavily restrained.
The Blair Witch Project - Great first half, great ending, terrible, terrible transition which made the second half look like a self-mocking spoof of itself.
Dark City - I liked it. Great set pieces, an interesting idea. Explained just enough to explain the major plot and story points, but left just enough mystery for the audience to ponder. I liked The Matrix better for only the reason that it was everythign Dark City was with kick ass kung-fu and gun fights added.
Fight Club - Cool with topics and themes being cool conversation pieces and discussions.
Lawrence of Arabia - I can see why some people call it boring. Fortunately, I'm not one of those. It's a grand-scale adventure into the desert. It's a David Lean masterpiece. It's a man in search of an identity (simple cartographer or a god among the Arabs?). It's a biography. It'a a World War I movie. It's easily quotable. The descriptions could go on and on, but I can't really say why the film is so damn good. It's got some weird hold over me. It's great to show this movie to friends and see them like it. I was drunk the last time I did it, and all I kept saying was, "See that? That's REAL people we're talking about!!!" :D
Spider-Man - Everything I expected. Great fun movie.

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
Can't resist the temptation to speak my mind about each of these films.
2001 . I admire this film more than I love it, but I have not seen many films that stand up to repeated viewings as well as this one. I find new things in it, and new ideas, every time I see it. Amazing in 70 mm. Fully deserving of its place in the pantheon.
Gladiator I found it watchable if slight in the moment, but when it was over, I started to dislike it more and more. Too many elements lifted intact from better films, and a disappointingly one-note performance from Russell Crowe, who's been better in practically everything else he's ever done. He should have won his Oscar for The Insider, not this dreck.
Armageddon Ewww. Just ewww.
Miller's Crossing Have not seen it.
The Phantom Menace A gigantic disappointment. Nice visuals, though. Episode 2 was an improvement, though still (mostly) badly written and acted.
The Blair Witch Project Very effective for me on an initial viewing. An interesting idea moderately well executed. I have no interest in ever seeing it again.
Dark City An enjoyable film, though not one of my favorites. Great Roger Ebert commentary on the DVD.
Fight Club Entertaining, but ultimately unsatisfying. Tries to be deep but isn't. I hate Brad Pitt, so take my opinion of this film with a grain of salt. I have a feeling I'd like the book better.
Lawrence of Arabia Love, love, love this film. Can't imagine how it could be considered boring between the character drama, action, political intrigue, and jaw-droppingly stunning photography. Like 2001, fully deserving of its exalted reputation. Like 2001, benefits immeasurably from presentation on the big screen (preferably) in 70 mm.
Brief opinions of a few others: hated Titanic, except for the last hour. Like A.I., want to see it again. Loved Eyes Wide Shut -- like 2001, it reveals new things on every viewing.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
2001: A Space Odyssey

Intelligent eye-candy. Probably THE best science fiction film ever made. Also one of the few perfect films I've seen.

Armageddon

Awful movie. More proof of the low standards of the average movie goer. Enough plot holes to make it totally a waste of time.

The Phantom Menace

Excellent Star Wars fare. It's one of my favorite scifi movies and it's not as cheesy as many think. It helps to be a Flash Gordon fan.

Dark City

Underrated good movie. It's not perfect, but still fun to watch.

Fight Club

Great movie, but with a few flaws. Great plot format and darkly funny.

Lawrence of Arabia

One of the greatest and most perfect films. I pity those who think it's boring.

Spider-Man

Pretty good movie. It's obvious that Sam Rami and co. looked towards 1978's Superman for reference on how a superhero film should be done.

Those I didn't mention, I haven't seen yet.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
2001: A Space Odyssey - The only part I don't understand is how people complain about the beginning. As great as the rest of the movie is, the first 20 mins or so gives me goosebumps (though it needs the rest of the movie too be that good, so I guess you need to know what's coming...)
Gladiator - I don't think it's depressingly derivative. It was OK. Parts of it are entertaining. Other parts are... rather bad. Over-rated since it won the stinkin' best picture, but I own it and have watched it a few times.
Armageddon - I like the Rock quite a bit... I enjoy Top Gun (boy, that'll get me hell!)... but Armageddon? It's just too much! Oil drillers? The animal crackers with the Aerosmith song (and no joke about the bush!?) The space shuttles flying like stunt planes? I can suspend my disbelief quite a bit, but I have my limits. And it's got the lovely cliched character introductions for like a dozen people! Agh!
Miller's Crossing - I'll have to watch it...
The Phantom Menace - Look, ROTJ wasn't a very good movie. But it had spectacular action sequences. Some of the best ever put to film, imo. I can even over look the fact that Luke's light-saber was somehow on 'shove mode' in the beginning as opposed to 'slice mode' But Mark Hammil's acting, and a lot of the dialogue are just terrible. And then came TPM. It's like ROTJ but with worse everything. The space battles are downright boring. The only good part is the light saber battle. It didn't have to be bad, it just reeks of arrogance throughout the film.
The Blair Witch Project - Interesting, to a point. I didn't like the movie much, at all. I wasn't ever frightened by it. But the story behind the story is fascinating. It's got it's place in history, but only as a footnote, I think.
Dark City - I love it. I don't see it as an inspiration to the Matrix, at all. I think it's a much, much better movie than the Matrix (which is pretty good in it's own right.) One of my favorite movies of recent times, and one of the best, imo.
Fight Club - I like my comedies like I like my coffee. This movie is really funny in a really twisted way.
Lawrence of Arabia - I'm 23. It was the quickest 3 hours of my life about 3 years ago. I had bought the LD (used for $40!) on a whim and watched it a few weeks later. The music... the imagery... the dialogue... and the ending... all perfect, to me. And I finally get to see it in 70mm in a few weeks.
Spider-Man - Certainly not a classic. Better than Armageddon and Gladiator though. A pretty good comic-book adaptation. Better than X-Men. Worse than Batman (Tim Burton. -- Let's see if I get flamed for that? :)) Part's looked very cgi-ey, but not in a bad way. Many movies have obvious models, matte paintings, or costumes... but there's an art to doing it right. The Princess Bride, Lord of the Rings, Empire Strikes back, and Robocop all full into this category, for me. Spiderman is one of the first movies I've seen pull this off with CGI. It didn't try to be TOO fancy about things; it accepts the fact it's a movie.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
2001: A Space Odyssey - Great for it's precision, but also lacking emotionally for me. I have the jumbo Criterion box set, but have never gotten the DVD.
Gladiator - Remarkably well calculated Oscar material. I'll probably eventually give it another look.
Armageddon - Mildly entertaining. I actually like it better than Gladiator. I guess I just don't get as offended by it as others.
Miller's Crossing - This was a favorite from the first time I saw it in the theater and I only like it better each time I see it. I love the dark humor and general over the top quality.
The Phantom Menace - Might have been just about the best of the series without Jar-Jar. The Dark Side is darker in this than any of the previous ones which is a big plus for me.
The Blair Witch Project - Haven't seen.
Dark City - Another one that knocks me out. The visual style doesn't hurt. I don't think I can quite put my thumb on what I like most about it.
Fight Club - Mostly a rollercoaster ride. While I like it, I don't think it is nearly all it aspires to be. I expect it will be like Excalibur for me, a movie I out grow.
D.C. Cab - Haven't Seen
Lawrence of Arabia - Good, but for me the weakest of the big three Leans. The greatest interest for me is the character.
Spider-Man - Was thinking of venturing over to the $2 theater this week for a lookie. A soaking wet Kirsten is certainly worth at least a few stars.
Urban Cowboy, Howard the Duck, Ishtar - Haven't seen, except for a couple choice Lea Thompson shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks