What's new

Where do you stand on the HTF 'hot topic' movies? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Chiming in on a few others mentioned:
Titanic - I liked it. :)
Magnolia - A good and interesting film. Doesn't have much replay value for me, though.
A.I. - A very good film though it has its flaws.
Pearl Harbor - Haven't seen it and have no desire to.

MatS

Screenwriter
this thread cannot be complete without mention of the brilliant Eyes Wide Shut :emoji_thumbsup:

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Gladiator - Mindless action movie. Enjoyable, but to put any real meaning on it is laughable. It's a popcorn movie, all the way. Crowe getting Best Actor for Gladiator was a make-up for stiffing him when he deserved it for LA Confidential.

Phantom Menace - Could've been a contender. Had all the elements but the execution was bad. Poorly directed, poorly cast and poorly acted. Could have been shortened quite a bit, too. Oh, and the racism was rank. Between Jar Jar, the Trade Federation and Watto, it was embarrassing. I was surprised that Al Jolsen wasn't cast as Mace Windu.

Pearl Harbor and Armageddon - Please. Michael Bay is the Axis of Evil. Any movie that uses "Rafe, I'm pregnant!" as its most critical plot point is full of suck.

Magnolia - Underrated and excellent.

Blair Witch - A fad that has passed, much like parachute pants.

Dark City - Saw it in the theater and hated the pants off of it. Saw it on DVD and found a lot of new interest in it. It's not bad at all.

Titanic - Peachy if you're a 13 year old girl. Poor acting, poor script, poor direction, poor special effects (the scenes of the ship cruising were so bad, the sinking scenes were so far over the top), poor soundtrack (James Horner tinkering on a Casio keyboard he bought from Service Merchandise, by the sound of it) = poor movie that had all the elements necessary to be a megahit with the Teen Beat subscriber base. Their dollars are green, too, so more power to Jim Cameron I guess.

2001 - I put this in the same category I do Apocolypse Now (especially AP Redux) - it's a lot to swallow and you have to be in the mood to commit to it.

Fight Club - One of my favorite movies. Haven't read the book, though.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
2001: A Space Odyssey: One of my favorite films. Kubrick's perfect compositions are a thing of art. Extremely thought provoking, and downright beautiful!
Gladiator: A decent action flick. I thought the CGI was terrible though. Cookie cutter writing and dialogue.
Armageddon: Mindless action.
Miller's Crossing: Been too long since I have seen it, but I don't consider it one of the Coen's best (I think Blood Simple is their best work).
The Phantom Menace: If it wasn't for the eye candy and superb surround sound, this would be a real stinker. The dialogue was terrible. And then there's that Jar Jar thing...
The Blair Witch Project: I actually like the idea behind it. Fairly well executed too. Many people that I know who hated it did so simply because they never got to "see" the "Witch"!!! Not nearly as bad as many believe, but far from great.
Dark City: I enjoyed this quite a bit. But, I really don't understand all the praise given to it by Roger Ebert (who I really respect) and others.
Fight Club: Probably the most overrated movie on the HTF!
Lawrence of Arabia: Immortal Classic! :) The best film ever made in my opinion. Take every aspect of film making: Cinematography, acting, screenplay, score, costumes, etc., and this movie delivers a 5/5 in every aspect! I recently saw it in 70mm (thanks again for your work Mr. Harris!) and it was a near religious experience for me! Truly inspired film making. If only they still made them like this....

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
2001: A Space Odyssey - My favorite film of all-time. Sucks me in like I've been hypnotized. Clearly though, this film is an "observers" film, people who just love to look at stuff. The same people who might go sit in the park and just watch stuff happening with fascination. That Kubrick catches that removed observer status so well with the camera is what I like most about the film.
Gladiator - As a popcorn flick, I love it. Fun film. As an Oscar winning (or even nominated) film, I don't like it. Crowe was one of the best actors of the year, maybe the best, so I have no problem with that recognition. But so much of the rest of the film is heavy-handed manipulation that works PERFECTLY for popcorn action, but terribly for an Oscar winner (which I expect to float nimbly through all aspects and show more subtlety).
And as I pointed out at the time in the heated thread, Gladiator is LITERALLY just Ben-Hur if it ended right after the chariot race with Judah dying just as Massala dies. It skips having all the difficult questions for the hero to deal with (like actually letting go of revenge) and with much less of the supporting cast power. Not to mention that Ben-Hur's best action sequence still dwarfs the best action in Gladiator. Yet Gladiator seems to have a much higher status with most HTFers than BH does. They might "respect" BH, but upon listing out their favs Gladiator seems to continually end up higher. Go figure.
Armageddon - No, Towering Inferno is NOT protected by nostalgia factor with me. Armageddon could almost work for me, but if you find Gladiator manipulative in the least, then Armageddon is a huge overdose of it. Watching this film is like living off of Skittles for 3 weeks. Everything about the film is supposed to play slick...but where is the substance for the slick to stick to? Non-existent is where.
Ends up playing like a 2 hour MTV video (not because of the fast cuts either, but because every scene looks scripted to be as "cool" as possible). You are just waiting for a riderless horse to go running through some mist, mirrors to be broken for no reason, water to be poured on people, and lots of long pieces of cloth to be blowing in the unexplained gales of wind. :)
Miller's Crossing - Best of Coens? I don't know about that. But it is one of their stronger films. Good Coens is great filmmaking, every single time, IMO.
The Phantom Menace - GL out of touch to me. Dreadful script with even more dreadful acting for some of it. I like the STORY idea, I just missed the fun dialog from the OT. I've pointed out examples a million times...I just missed the set-up and delivery of scenes like "I'd rather kiss a Wookie" "I can arrange that". TPM missed the genuine heartfelt laughs to offset the action. And no SW actor has ever been worse than the kid. His final scene in the cockpit was straight out of an Ed Wood film.
I wanted to like TPM. I've watched it several times because I love SW so much, but it gets worse rather than better for me. On the other hand I quite enjoyed AOTC, mainly because it DID revert to some of the style that I've just mention.
The Blair Witch Project - Look, if I was in a tent in the middle of some strange woods and ANYONE came up to my tent and attacked it in the middle of the night I would piss my pants. People that say they wouldn't are either liars or future victims just waiting to get theirs. :)
Also people were mad because of how the kids handled things (where was the GPS). Well, if I followed my compass all day and ended up in the same exact spot, or followed the sun (or kept it at my back) and ended up in the same spot, I'd know something supernatural was up and that I was fucked. The tension as that became apparent is what made the film payoff for me. It was like watching people on death row just days before they are to be killed, knowing there will NOT be a repreaval (and having them slowly realize it too).
Dark City - Good film. I don't think it was pure greatness, but it's quite interesting. Good mix of styles and story, mainly to have some contradiction with typical SF conventions (futuristic that is). Mood counts for a lot. I still wouldn't put it above Matrix or A.I. though.
Fight Club - Genius. The sharp dialog and terrific "2 sided" acting (the meanings of the moments obviously must play 2 different ways depending on if you've seen it before or not) keep it entertaining, and the direction provides the smooth, focused pace that really takes me for the full ride.
I find it most annoying that people criticize the film for the "pseudo-nihilism" it promotes...totally failing to realize that Pitt's character (who speaks all this trendy philosophy) is the VILLAN in the film and is defeated.
And people that hate it's promotion of violence...sheesh. Go back to your "John Wayne shoots 20 Indians" film sans the blood.
D.C. Cab - Saw it at the theater and liked it. What was I thinking back then. Sure I was a kid, but yeeesh. :D
Lawrence of Arabia - My #4 film, but it is also a bit of an observer film, at least for the first part of the film. And again, that will turn people off that need to have the narrative yank them along.
To me films like LoA and 2001 are more like being dropped into those worlds myself and being able to experience the times/places myself, rather than watch someone else experience them (via the narrative).
Spider-Man - Loved it. Good popcorn fun that plesantly stayed pretty close to the original story. Good acting by the key characters, nice art direction, some decent dialog more than offset the sometimes shakey CGI work. I don't think it will quite be a "classic", but will always be one of my favorite comic films (right now it is my fav over Batman).

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Titanic - The good news is, after almost 3 hours of boredom, Leonardo sank looking like a blue popsicle. I liked that part. :D
Magnolia - An amazing film. Totally unique. I don't even have the words right now.
A.I. - Good idea, very poor execution. Nice try, Steve. Thanks for E.T. though. :)
Pearl Harbor - Haven't seen it and have no desire to. (I'll just leave what I copied here; I feel the same way.)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I didn't realize these were "hot topics", but I'm glad to hear a long time HTF'er bring them up. Here are my takes:

2001: A top notch classic. True sci-fi. Quintessential Kubrick. Artistic masterpiece. Thought provoking and way before its time (even if it is now somewhat outdated).

Gladiator: I don't despise this film. It's a lot of fun. But, "Best Picture"? I know the Oscar's are a bit of a joke, but "Gladiator" is not what I usually have in mind. It was a fun popcorn/summer movie that got way blown out of proportion in a pitifully bad year of film. It has many flaws, needs a huge rewrite, and steals from all the greats (Spartacus more than anything) in all the wrong ways. But, I own it and I like it for some fun.

Armageddon - "Pearl Harbor" goes unscathed? I wasn't aware of that. Show me the line for PH haters, and I'll get right in. And, since we're on basically the same subject, I'll add "Armageddon" to the list. It's a hokey "Dirty Dozen" in space with caricature acting and the worst kind of Michael Bay fast-cut direction ever put on film. If it weren't so obviously ripping off "The Dirty Dozen", I'd be embarrassed to mention the two in the same breath.

Miller's Crossing - My pick for Cohen's finest film always seems to be changing. But, this is always a candidate. Is the colorful dialogue overused? Maybe. But, I love it. I also love the characters, plot, theme, and style. This is a GREAT film.

The Phantom Menace - This is NOT a worthy entry into the Star Wars legend - assuming that "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back" make up the legend. Lucas hasn't really hit the ball out of the park since then, so I don't try to senselessly rank the many films in the series. One and Two rule...the rest are fun popcorn films. Jake Lloyd is pitiful, Jar Jar is retarded, and Lucas' dialogue gets pretty lame, but I don't HATE this film...because it's Star Wars!

The Blair Witch Project - How can there be an experimental horror classic when there are so few experimental horrors? This film is perfectly ok. Experimental, fun, neat idea on a low budget and probably SHOULD have been utterly forgettable. After all, who actually watches this film over and over?

Dark City - This film WAS an inspiration for "The Matrix", but I don't think it can be called underrated any more. Too many people talking about it. I like it quite a bit. A film noir/neo-sci-fi/period piece. What a cool idea. I'm just glad it got made, and I enjoy a lot about it.

Fight Club - Love it. A fantastic and intelligent nihlistic treatise. Highly stylized, always fascinating, darkly humorous.

Lawrence of Arabia - Only someone with no interest in history can find this film boring. That accurately describes a LOT of people. I'm not one of them. I also enjoy the heck out of "Patton". Quality films about fascinating historical figures are SOOOOO rare. This is the king of the hill.

Spider-Man - The "problem" with Spider-Man wasn't anything you listed. The problem was that the first half (the "origin" story) is done so well, and the Green Goblin story is so wafer thin, that it feels like one good movie and one bad one. What you end up with is an ok film that should have been great. Most people excuse the banality of the second half because it has enough action. I do not. I find it unbearably boring once Uncle Ben is buried.
Briefly state your overall opinion of these flicks, and feel free to include any 'hot topic' titles I've overlooked.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Titanic - I love it. I have no problem in loving it either. I happen to think LDC is a good actor and enjoy his work in this film.
Magnolia - PTA has style, but he overindulges every single scene. Go through and trim 40 seconds off every scene in the film and you've got something. But I see him working.
A.I. - Very interesting flick that I really enjoy. Having read the short story first I was even more impressed with the story that Kubrick had pulled from it.
Pearl Harbor - If only I could make the bad images go away mommy. At least Armageddon could be explained as playing campy or cartoonish. But this crap is supposed to be able to stand next to something like SPR? Hardly.
Unbreakable - I really like all 3 MNS films. I was never fooled for a second by 6th Sense, yet this film did catch me off guard. Guess it was less obvious to me in the direction it was going. Maybe if the commercial had a kid saying "I see superheros". ;)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
It's been my experience on message boards and in conversation circles that "Magnolia" and "Titanic" are ALWAYS hotly debated. My take:

Titanic - Suffers from the same thing as "Gladiator". People HATE that such a successful film made such a HUGE amount of money from teenage girls. It's the cinematic equivalent to N'Sync. Add to that that it ties Ben Hur for most Oscar wins ever? That's a recipe for true derision. Problem is, the film has major flaws - TERRIBLE dialogue that is often beyond corny and too often on the nose.

But, the fact is, the film is a technical masterpiece and the script is expertly structured. Sure, there are some terrible excuses for paper thin characters...but that has nothing to do with the dramatic structure. Sure, "bastardo!" makes me both laugh and cringe, but that has nothing to do with how good this film looks!

It's a tough call, but when push comes to shove there is a reason why Cameron won the DGA award for best director. This is a top notch modern classic that SHOULD have been a timeless classic. Next time, Jim, get a writing partner...you'll finally make that classic.

Magnolia - Here's one that didn't win awards...but, deserved a couple (Tom Cruise? Ensemble acting?). PTA went too far with this utterly pretentious experiment. Cut this unbearable behemoth by 45 minutes, and you have more of a fascinating experiment (much like the wonderful "Punch Drunk Love"). Here's a start...drop some of the outrageous on the nose dialogue like "You have to start being nicer to me." Drop the cliche father/daughter abuse "surprise". Drop the song. And, drop Julianne Moore's hyper-kinetic over the top performance. Save Tom Cruise's frightening and fascinating over the top performance, save Jason Robards' gripping scenes, and PSH's sublime acting. Focus on John Reilly and Melora Walters, and cut the wonderful (but unnecessary) Bill Macy. It was just too much of a mess that PTA tried to make into something meaningful by the end. I respect the experimenting in "Punch Drunk Love" far more.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
By description, Armageddon, The Phantom Menace, The Blair Witch Project, Fight Club, and Spiderman sound as if they hold absolutely zero appeal for me, so I have avoided them. Citizen Kane qualifies as a “hot topic” around here, if any film does, so I’m including it among my roster of assessments.
2001: A Space Odyssey – Due to its theme of dehumanization through mechanization, with much of the focus centering on the film’s oversurplus of high-tech hardware, Kubrick’s preference for viewing humans under a polarizing, hermetically-sealed glass is least alienating here. Brilliant cinematography, sets, special-effects, classical music selections (except for The Blue Danube, which is a misjudgment), and several thought-provoking ideas help to distract from its frequently-gratuitously languorous pace. I too prefer Tarkovsky’s Solaris.
Gladiator – To paraphrase a favorite critic of mine, an uninteresting molehill of a movie. The only movie to drive me to the brink of blissful slumber during the middle of a sunny afternoon. Ben-Hur and The Fall of the Roman Empire (not a very good movie either) did it all infinitely better.
Miller's Crossing – A very cleverly assembled gangster film. Technically the best filmmakers working today, only the typical gleeful bloodthirstiness the Coen Bros. exhibit here is a turn off for me.
Dark City – Several interesting concepts within, unfortunately somewhat obfuscated and jumbled by the violent action demands of a comic book film; as well as the gimmicky, highly-alienating trailer-esque editing. Still miles ahead of The Matrix.
Lawrence of Arabia – A brilliant, beautiful, fluent, compelling first half is somewhat let down by a frequently unfocused, awkward, lifeless second half. Superb dialogue, performances, cinematography, music, and settings compensate, to a degree, for the filmmakers’ inability to fully harness the grandeur of its aspirations and deliver the substance it promises. Extremely high marks for trying, though, in what was probably an impossible task.
Citizen Kane – A praiseworthy effort ultimately sabotaged by the very fertility of its creators’ prodigious genius. Helming his very first film out of the gate, Welles & crew compact so many pyrotechnical stunts into its relatively unpresumptuous running time that the human aspect of the film suffers by association. It’s all simply too much—a film in which the sum of its copious quantity of stunningly brilliant parts unfortunately outstrips the whole. Still among the top films of its (bounteous) year, as well as easily the most influential. The early reels of Welles next outing, The Magnificent Ambersons, promise tantalizingly of the harnessed genius he might have wrought had he been allowed to mature as a filmmaker within the Hollywood system.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Fine, suckas. Here we go.
2001 - Haven't seen. After everyone crowed about seeing it, especially on the Big Screen, I'll wait for that.
Gladiator - I admit, I really liked this film. No "Almost Famous" but a certain crowd-pleaser with a great performance in the lead. Doesn't hold up as well, I admit.
Armageddon - Trash. Good-looking trash, but trash. Read Ebert's review...I love it.
Miller's Crossing - Haven't seen it. I am NOT a huge Coen Bros. fan. Their stuff is quirky and fun and smart, but that's that.
Phantom Menace - Decent. I am in the minority in that I preferred TPM to AOTC, but not by much.
Blair Witch - Never saw it...never will. Don't care.
Fight Club - One of my all time favorites ;)
Lawrence of Arabia - See 2001. I own this, but my wife won't watch it, and I haven't found the time. Soon, soon...
Spider-Man - Grew up on these comics. Loved it. Almost as good as the incomparable Superman.
Pearl Harbor - See Armageddon. No difference.
Magnolia - Pretentious is a good word. Bought it and watched it because the critics said I should. I enjoyed it, and parts of it are brilliant.
Titanic - Another of my favorites. I saw it opening night after a few months of anticipation and it was everything I wanted it to be. Due to strange circumstances, this film was a big deal to me at a solitary point of my life. I still think it's incredible filmmaking.
Dark City - Only seen once, but a very respectable film.
A.I. - a very detailed film that leaves me a bit cold. I don't love it or hate it. I mostly just respect it.
If you don't agree, you are wrong,
Chuck

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
2001: A Space Odyssey - as with most of Kubrick's films, I really liked this, but with this one, I would be hard pressed to explain exactly why :)
Gladiator - a good film, and unfairly criticised just because it won the Best Picture Oscar. That's not to say it is perfect, but what how often does the winner of the Best Picture Oscar live up to the supposed reputation of this award ?
Armageddon - someone else mentioned the only Bay film they can stomach is The Rock, and I would agree with that. This was (for me) a truly awful film. Perhaps Bay will add cue cards on the screen next time telling the audience what emotion they should be experiencing at any given time in the film, in case he thinks we still don't understand. And how much editing does one film need ?
Miller's Crossing - havent seen it, but I like a lot of the Coen Brothers' films so I want to.
The Phantom Menace - still love it, though it is easily the worst of the SW films. I thought the story itself and the setup was great - some of the dialogue needs improvement. Criticism of Jsr Jar is vastly over the top IMO, and I dont think the problems with Anakin lie with Jake Lloyd. ( I have seen this kid act well in a film but can't remember which), rather some of the dialogue he had to deliver (and presumably the direction he was given).
The Blair Witch Project - I loved this when I first saw it, but I must admit I have had little inclination to watch it again.
Dark City - again another I loved first time, but have not really felt like watching it again.
Fight Club - cemented Fincher's status as a top director IMO,
Lawrence of Arabia - I only saw this about 6 months ago, but enjoyed every minute. The scale of the film is amazing, especially given when the film was made, without the availability of the special effects technology we have today.
Spider-Man - I saw this about a month after it opened in America, and with all the hype surrounding it I was expecting something especially. As a result, whilst I don't think the film is bad, I don't think it is that good either, and the so-called "climactic" battle at the end is just dull.
AI - Spielberg's best film. Loved it.
Another film which seems to be debated a lot is Moulin Rouge, which I thought was great as well

AllanN

Supporting Actor
2001: A Space Odyssey - I have only seen it twice so far. Every time becomes more enjoyable as I gain a deeper understanding off the films deep and profound message.
Gladiator - Summer popcorn fodder. Plus the fact that I immensely dislike Russel Crowe. How it won best movie is beyond me.
Armageddon More summer popcorn fodder. Why Criterion released it also beyond me.
Miller's Crossing - Abstain. I have not seen this movie.
The Phantom Menace - Was not impressed theatrically. Probably because it was so far removed from the original trilogy. Plus some of the more cartonny characters. When Attack of the Clones came out it brought Phantom Menace into better perspective. Now the somewhat cartonny characters are not so much of a bother.
The Blair Witch Project - Low budget movie. Bug budget marketing.
Dark City - A very solid sci-fi movie. I have't seen it's since it theatrical release but its defiantly on my list to purchase and watch again.
Fight Club - Like many others, I related to this movies message very strongly. But I can see to someone who does not relate to it would see it as mindless violence. I am Jacks top 5 movie.
Lawrence of Arabia - Visually breathtaking. Although I found it a bit slow and hard to follow. But on that same note I have a burning desire to watch it again and try and comprehend more meaning from it. When I get the time.
Spider-Man - Not being a comic fan I was not overwhelmed with joy about its release. What drew me to the theater for this one was the inclusion of two of my favorite young actors and actresses Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst. It did have a very solid story line for a comic book movie and I though the CGI where spot on. This is on my DVD wish list but its toward the bottom.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
2001: A Space Odyssey This is a great movie, just one that I don't enjoy all that much. Perhaps I'm not an "observer" person or what have you. I grow more appreciation for it with each viewing, but not more enjoyment.
Gladiator I happen to like this movie. I could care less whether it won an Oscar or not. Either way, I still enjoy the movie. I don't think it was the best movie, but it was good.
Armageddon I don't care much for the movie, but I didn't hate it as much as most.
Miller's Crossing One of my favorite films of all time. They don't come much better than this one.
The Phantom Menace Yes this movie has many flaws and drawbacks, but I still like it. I think I'll leave it at that.
The Blair Witch Project I happened to enjoy this film. I thought it was scary and different. I don't think it has much replay value, though.
Dark City I liked this one, but haven't seen it since it was first released. I need to go back and re-watch it.
Fight Club I like this one a lot. It caught me off guard. Great performances, and great direction.
Spider-Man I liked this movie, but not as much as I had hoped. However, both viewings I caught of it were under "crappy" situations. I plan on giving her another go.
Magnolia This movie is priceless to me based solely on my wife's reaction to the film. I've never laughed so hard in all my life. Great performances in this one as well.
AI I liked it. I didn't find it as great as many, but I thought Jude Law was superb.
Titanic One day I am going to sit down and clear my mind and watch this one again. When it first came out, I wanted to see it. I'm a Cameron fan. Interestingly, my wife did not. So we passed. Months later (after word of mouth had spread), she wanted to go see it, and we did. Instead of seeing a film, I saw a fad. I did enjoy parts, but didn't let myself get "in" to the movie. Definitely a movie I wished I had saw earlier before word got out.
Eyes Wide Shut A movie that grows on me with each viewing. I never thought poorly of it, but it has become something special.
I haven't seen the others mentioned.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
2001: A Space Odyssey - I love Kubrick. Dr. Strangelove is one of my all-time favorites. If somebody says that A Clockwork Orange is the best movie they've ever seen, I'd have trouble arguing with them. 2001, on the other hand, I can do without. I think it's got some great parts, and I love everything with HAL. I don't hate the monkey-man stuff, but I'm not jumping up and down for it either. The last, oh, 8 or 9 hours of the movie is just, to me, a boring overblown head trip mess. No offense.
Gladiator - A solid action/adventure. No great classic, but still a good movie. Did it deserve Best Picture? No, but it's still better than many other Best Picture winners.
Armageddon - Overlong, but still decent. Bruckheimer scale: not as good as The Rock, better than Con Air.
Miller's Crossing - Terrific movie. Easily one of the Coen's ten best... Hey, that's no knock. They are my faves. Miller's is better than The Man Who Wasn't There or Blood Simple.
The Phantom Menace - Has some problems, but has a lot going for it, too. I liked Jar-Jar more than I liked Anakin. Darth Maul was cool-looking, and the pod race sounds great on the DVD.
The Blair Witch Project - I was prepared to hate it, but I didn't. The people were certainly annoying, but by the end I thought it was pretty creepy. Not bad at all.
Dark City - Underrated modern masterpiece.
Fight Club - I just loved it, but I'm a HUGE Chuck Palahniuk fan. (Man-o-man I wish they could make a decent movie of "Invisible Monsters." But, honestly, I don't think it can be done.)
Lawrence of Arabia - Just brilliant. Moving. Awesome.
Spider-Man - A lot of fun. The first time I went I had to leave about half an hour in... A word of advice for parents: It may be too intense for 4-year-olds.
Eyes Wide Shut - Not my favorite Kubrick, but it has some things I like. Love the music. Although it's too obvious, I didn't think the digital censorship really hurt the movie. (And, yes, I've seen it both ways.)
Titanic - Awful dialog, cool special effects. Overlong, but still decent.
Magnolia - The first time I saw it, I was almost embarrassed that I liked it. The most pretentious movie that I love anyway.
A.I. - ....................................jkbjjjjj... huh, wha? Oh, I'm sorry. I was thinking about A.I. and I must have fallen asleep on the keyboard.
Citizen Kane - Very well made. Beautiful to look at. As far as the story, it's just okay. Still, technically brilliant. Enough so that I still consider it a great movie. Not #1, or even #100.
Pearl Harbor - Eh, not as bad as I'd heard. A little too melodramatic, but the impressive attack scene made up for it. Better than Black Hawk Down or We Were Soldiers.

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
2001: A Space Odyssey: Ive seen this movie five times now and still it just doesnt do it for me dunno why..sorry:) FMJ is my favorite Kubrick film
Gladiator:Kick-Ass ride of a movie,in any other year it might not win the oscar but outta those films nomiated had nothing wrong with it winning
Titanic:Compelete Opposite PURE and UTTER SHIT end of F@#king story:)
Armageddon: not something Id rush to go see again, but it worked for me
Miller's Crossing-havnt seen
The Phantom Menace-take out Jar-Jar and that annoying performance of Jake Lylod(sp)and you have a great movie, instead its a good movie
The Blair Witch Project- havnt seen and dont care too
Dark City-good movie, then agian anything with Jennifer Connley:)
Fight Club:seen bits, need to see more of it to render an opinion
Spiderman-best comic book movie ever
AI:great idea, shoddy exucution
Christopher

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks