Where do you sell used HT equipment?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Morris, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

I have reluctantly accepted that my Mirage OM-6's are too big for the living room in my new house. I can't position them properly (well, unless I sold all my furniture).

So, I've decided to sell my Mirage system (OM-6's, C2 and R2's).

My question is, where have people had success selling used items?

I really don't want to get involved in long distance shipping, so a bulletin board like the one provided here probably won't help a poor Canadian guy like me.

A friend suggested newsgroups, but I've never even been on a newsgroup before.

Local paper?

Ebay? (this scares the crap out of me... hehe)

Suggestions?

2. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

1) Local audio shop where you will buy new gear; usually they will do a trae-in or take it on consignment;

2) arrange local adio-nuts meeting, and then sell your gear after everyone is impressed with it...

3) Audiogon.com is a good place to advertise;

4) audioreview.com - they have a sell partl

5) e-bay.

_zjt

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you have a university near by. Make a few posters, get them stamped by who ever stamps them so they don't get taken down immediately and place them in a high traffic area. I've sold two sets of speakers and some computer equipment this way.

4. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

I currently am trying to sell a receiver on ebay. This is my 1st foray into ebay transactions. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but any advice you guys could offer would be helpful.

On a side note, I had a bidder email me and shoot me an offer to buy the receiver and close my auction early. Ebay allows for this, but will I receive negative feedback if I do this. I would like to keep a good reputation on ebay as I have other items I would like to sell soon. What do you think ebayers?

5. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Mike, Ebay gives you a negative feedback even if NOBODY has placed a bid yet? If so, that is really harsh...

Kevin

6. Mike Witt

Kevin, no, I think you misunderstood. I was asking IF I would get negative feedback. I don't see anything on the ebay site that says you shouldn't close an auction. I do have bids on my item. There are a few other receivers of my same type on the ebay board right now, so if I cancelled my auction, these bidders could obtain my same receiver from one of those auctions. I just don't want negative feedback and am not sure if I should do this. Any ebayers have an opinion?

7. Mike Witt

Thanks Rajee for your informative post. I did end up finding the help section on ebay discussing feedback and found out how it works a little better. You are correct that feedback only comes from buyers and sellers, so I wouldn't get negative feedback for closing my auction. In fact, I wouldn't even get feedback from the person I sold it too if I go through with this deal since it would be separate from ebay. This person is a highly positive feedback person, BTW.

8. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I'm not sure that cancelling the auction would be a good idea. You have a high bidder on there who's probably not the person you'll be selling it to. I think he could complain to eBay if you arbitrarily cancel the auction. What reason would you give him for cancelling it? That you found someone else to sell it to? You could always make up a reason, saying something came up and the item isn't for sale any more, etc.

AFAIK, only the highest bidder is allowed to leave feedback on an auction. I think the best idea is to ask your prospective buyer to bid on the auction, so that he is the highest bidder. Then, close the auction because now you have a legitimate reason to close it, i.e., the seller and highest bidder agreed to make the transaction at the current price (I think that's one of the possible reasons for closing an auction). That way, you don't upset the current high bidder on your auction, and IMO it's a little more ethical too. Also, your transaction is still within eBay, so you get that added protection, as well as one positive feedback out of it.

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You could also do an ebay ad, where you specify that you will consider only local bidders (+/- 50 or 100 miles or something.)

You can do this on Audiogon too.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Oh, I'll add this too:

I have done the "end an ebay auction early, still honoring the high bidder."

I did this after correspondance with that current high bidder.

(I.e., he approached me about ending it early at a pre-negotiated price, not necessarily the same as that current high bid.)

Worked out well for both of us.

(I have a soft spot in my heart for people who email a lot during an auction in terms of how they are going to use the specific piece o' equipment. I.e., if I think it's going to a "good" home, and going to be appreciated, I sometimes will take less than I initially wanted.)

In the above case, I did get what I wanted, but the person got it a few days earlier than if the auction had gone full term.

11. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I use Half.com (owned by eBay) for gear that I don't expect to do well at auction. That way I can set the price I want then let it stay active until it sells rather than risk an auction that closes before a price I'm happy with is reached.

12. Mike Witt

Just FYI, so far no one has bid high enough to meet my reserve price, so closing the auction early couldn't get me any negative feedback (according to what I read at ebay anyway). Thank you for the advice of having the person bid at the price we agreed on and then closing the auction, allowing them to give me feedback. I think I will pursue this option. Then none of the bidders should be offended either. I understand the posters sentiment who mentioned the ethical side of this, part of why I asked the question on the forum as I had questions about how I felt about this as well. Thanks for your responses ebayers!

13. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

The number one word when using Ebay is "patience". This goes for buyers as well as sellers. IMO, I would not close the auction early. It sounds like you are new to Ebay, and the buying frenzy usually starts in the last 1/2 hour. It is AMAZING how much can happen in the last 5 minutes, kind of like a hockey game.

There is no reason to feel sorry for someone who wants you to close the auction early so they can win. Maybe they just don't want to lose out, or maybe they just want to see if you are a happy with an offer, when they could have wound up paying more.

Unless the item you are selling has generated very little interest, hold off until the end.

I have been aproached too during an auction with comments like," I really want to buy those speakers for my brothers birthday, I'll give x $$$ right now.

If you do cancel the auction, your selling history will be affected and you could be labled as someone who closes out auctions. Ebay doesn'y want people "testing the waters".

Stay the course!

14. Mike Witt

Garry, thanks for your response. I am considering all the points you bring up. Even though I am a "newbie" ebayer, I am quite aware of how those auctions pan out. I'm just a little worried I won't get bids as high as this person has agreed to pay. I haven't heard back from them yet, so I'm still weighing all my options. Thanks again to all, and I'm sorry that I have totally hijacked this thread with my ebay questions. [​IMG]

15. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

How many days do you have left on the auction? Also, is the price you're being offered more than your reserve? If the answer to the first question is just a few days and the answer to the second is "yes", your best bet is probably to ask the person to bid on the auction, and let it run its course. That way, if anyone out there is willing to buy it for more, you will sell it for more. This works for you, it doesn't work so well for the buyer because he isn't guaranteed to get it. If he says he wants it now or else he's going to look elsewhere, then your situation changes [​IMG]
    And you're right, if your reserve hasn't been met, you are under no obligations to any of the bidders and you can close your auction. The only problem is, you won't get any feedback for this transaction, and the fact that you closed an auction and did not sell to one of the bidders may show up in your history too (I'm not sure about this).

16. Mike Witt

The price we have agreed upon is more than my reserve price. There are a few days left on my auction, but I have been watching the other receivers that are the same as mine on the site, and they are not reaching the price we have agreed on yet. 2 or 3 of these are ahead of mine (only have a day or so left). Is there a way to search for past auctions on a specific product and see what the particular item has been selling for on average? Someone told me you could do this once, but I don't know how or if I was mis-informed about this. Thanks for your help guys.

17. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Here are the Ebay rules on what you ask:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/community...s.html#selling
    Closed auctions are a great way to establish a reserve amount as well as seeing wht ayou can expect to sell (or buy) an item for on Ebay.
    Used the Advanced Search Option and select Closed Items. This function helps set your mind at ease about selliing to soon or paying too much.
    Ebay is a great place to buy and sell used audio equipment! If you lose a bid, don't fret, another one will come along.
    Kind of like good looking women![​IMG]

18. Mike Witt

Garry, thank you for your last reply. I used the search function and found that at the price we agreed on, I would definately like to close the deal. It is right in the ballpark for the highest $ amount my receiver is selling for (as I kind of expected). I will definately ask my buyer to bid on the auction and close the bid with their bid being the highest. It seems like the most ethical thing to do and it will still be through ebay that way.

I feel like the initial poster to this thread in that ebay can be scary for the novice user. Comments and advice from people on a forum like this help ease the nervousness about using the ebay service. Thank you all very much for your help and responses.

19. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Sounds like you're all set then. As long as you agree to close the auction after the person bids on it, I don't see why he would have any problems with that. Just tell him/her that you'd prefer doing it that way so that you can get a feedback entry out of this transaction, and I'm sure they will see your point. You don't even need to mention the extra security for you of keeping the auction within eBay. Or, you could, because it's extra security for the buyer too, so that's actually a positive too. In fact, this usually matters more to the buyer, because you're getting the money before you ship anything, so you aren't risking hard-earned cash. The buyer is.

20. Mike Witt

Rajee, are you saying that my bidder may bid say - $400, but it will only show up as - $375 if this is my reserve price? But the actual bid will be $400 it is just kept secret by ebay "proxy bidding". That could be confusing. Am I understanding this correctly. Thanks.