Where do you put all this stuff?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_Lan, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Jim_Lan

Jim_Lan Agent

Some basic questions on setting this stuff up. Just bought a new Marantz 8200 and it is 19 inches deep. My current audio rack has a glass door and a vented back. But it is only 15 inches deep.. I've looked at the Sanus and Salamander designs and they don't seem to be deep enough to have door and back attached.. What do you guys use. Do you have doors on the audio equipment or just an open front. Is dust something to worry about or is heat the big problem and I should just keep things open.. Interested in your thoughts..

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I use an open rack to hold my equipment. This gives me the best heat dissipation and makes it easy to clean. Although you can purchase these (Salamander, etc.) I built one myself. If this sounds interesting, check out "flexi racks" in the DIY section of HTF.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I found the same problem several years ago when we were shopping for an entertainment center. I took a tape measure when we went shopping to make sure anything we bought would be deep enough. We found an 3-piece American Oak unit with an oversized center unit that was deep enough.

With a receiver and two outboard amps, I found that cooling was a problem with an all-enclosed unit, so I had to install exhaust fans.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have an enclosed cabinent, but I removed the thin cardboard back. This allows lots of venting and no worries about the amp sticking out too far.

In case you have not read it before, here is my advice on how to lay out your equipment:

- Receiver on the bottom shelf. Lets the speaker wires flow out without coming near the other interconnects.

- On the top shelf, put the DVD player, then the VCR under it, etc. These are for the devices you must touch to use.

- Above the receiver, put devices that you never touch like the CATV box, DSS unit, etc. Make sure to leave 8 inches or so empty above the receiver for ventilation.

Hope this helps.

5. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Hmmmmm, I would say visit Boltz for some nice racks...great looking and very well built. [​IMG]

6. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I'd be careful about this; some racks are OK with this, but with some the cardboard back is part of the structure, and without it installed the unit is at risk of collapsing to one side (i.e. if the unit is a rectangle, it could turn into a parallelogram.)

7. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Try this site for several alternatives, both lower and higher pricepoints:
    Racks and Stands
    I ended up with a VTI stand--open air.