What's new

Where do you guys get HT equipment cheap? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I am not sure it this is in the right thread or not but I know it shouldn't go in the basic section.
I hear about so many of you that buy stuff used or get it for half the price. I think I heard a few people say that the have a $20 000 system but only paid $4000. I am just wondering where to look for these good deals. I seem to remember someone saying they got a used $30 000 projector for 1500. thats nuts. anyway, thanks for your inputs.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Anyone that got $20G's worth of goods for $4K either took it from a place via the ski mask and shotgun method or the white van parking lot special. ;)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
IF you know what you are looking for and are willing to take a few risks, some wonderful equipment can be had for great prices on the used market. But as I said, there are some risks and in most cases there won't be a warranty. B-stock, dealer demos and refurbished equipment can also be great bargains, and these generally do come with a warranty, sometimes the full factory warranty. I've purchase quite a few used, demo and B-stock items over the years without any problems.

Jeff shark

Grip
I got some of my stuff online....

HK reciever - jr.com retail $1700 or so, got for $900
Kit281 & LCC - acoustic-visions.com
zenith 318 dvd - gochnauers.com/

TV I got locally, asked for a better price, got a good discount..

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
the people who got their stuff that cheap are insiders... we either work for the industry, review for the industry, or something to that effect.

$20k of HT gear is a whole lot of refurbed onkyo receivers :)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Exactly what Shane said. You get it through being patient and keenly watching the used market quickly snapping up bargains towards completing your system. I'll never buy new (and pay retail, or close to it) again.

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
Patience,persistance, knowledge, and networking.

It helps to know what your are looking for. It's not enough to want, say, a new DVD player. But if your decide what brand and model you want, then you should never have to pay retail for it. I have found luck in networking. Just by asking around to family, friends and the forum has been quite helpful.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

More of an obvious given, although you're always taking your chances on Ebay. You're buying used goods from people who can't offer you squat in gurantees and certainly no warranties.

In my case, I went on Ebay and bought a refurb HK 630 direct from Harman Kardon themselves, and they've treated it like a new product including warranty. Beyond that, I personally would have no comfort level whatsoever trying to buy electronics on Ebay.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Pick a make and model you want.. Do a google on it.

Be persistant, and patient, a deal will swing your way eventually.

Virtually all online / internet dealer sources will come up on these searches. Try a few search engines too...

This is how I price everything these days, well and tips from forums like this one.

I don't say I've ever gotten a $20k piece of gear for $4k.

But I did score a Denon 4802 for like $1700 from an authorized dealer back when they were the hottest thing out there. I also paid like $200 a pair for my Original JLB S38's, bought 5 pair.

Most recently the $160 Zenith DVB-318 deal...

Best of luck with your future HT deal findings.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you’re not married to the “latest and greatest” you can save a ton of money buying used gear.

For instance, remember the late-great Yamaha DSP-A1? A few years ago it listed for about $2500. They’re selling on e-Bay now for $500 or less.

I recently saw Yamaha’s second generation DVD player, which listed for $700 and got rave reviews in Audio magazine for its audiophile sound quality for CD playback, sell for about $50.

That’s $3600 worth of excellent gear for a under $600 – providing you can live without component video switching, auto room EQ and a few other late-arriving features.

A sample of used bargains in my system:
  • Top-of-the-line Yamaha TX-950 tuner, list $425, paid $120 at a pawn shop.
  • A group purchase of two Adcom GFA-555II amps and ACE-515 line conditioners/powr directors, $2220 worth of gear for $800 at a pawn shop.
  • High-end Pioneer CT-709 three-head cassette deck, $500 list, $150 at a pawn shop.
  • Pioneer PD-509 CD recorder, over $500 list, $135 on eBay.
  • Top-of-the-line Yamaha DVD-S700 DVD player, $700 list, $300 on-line purchase.
$4300 worth of equipment for $1500.

Oh, it’s not as bad as all that! You might feel a lot better about it after reading this old post of mine:

Wayne’s Guide to Buying Used Gear

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
That's great stuff, Wayne. That post has been saved as a Word Document on my hard drive! :D

Jason M

Agent
Yeap, I've found some nice deals on eBay and those eCost refurbs have always worked great for me.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Lets see here:

Parasound HCA-2003 , list $1650 , paid $425 shipped on Ebay..I could unload it for $700 fairly easily.

Aragon Soundstage , $4000 new , paid $1025 with overnight shipping (dont ask) on Ebay/ got back $670 of that from DHL after they put a small dent on it. Could sell it for $1100 + easily.

Blueprint 1804 drivers, paid something like $525 for both drivers shipped...brand new never used. They rock.

I paid too much for everything else. :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Right on Wayne. Don't forget Vito in Manhattan's Litte Italy section. Corner of Mulberry and Grand...give or take :D

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Thank wayne. Where can I get one of these product directories? Do I have to purchase or do they just get given out like pamphlets?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks