What's new

Where do you guys/gals get your DVDs? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
For the most part I buy my DVDs from Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Newbury Comics(a local record/comics/collectibles store). I'll sometimes buy my DVDs at K-Mart, Target, the local mom and pop video rental store, and BJ's, when I'm there, which isn't often. I rarely get them at Suncoast or the Sam Goody video section. I only get them at Suncoast or the Sam Goody video section if I can't find them at any other stores. I've only bought a DVD at a flea market and online once, and never got any from Circuit City or a pawn shop.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I love Best Buy too. I could spend all day in there. They have so many lesser known movies there, which is great.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
amazon.com Best Buy, Media Play, Wal-Mart, Movies Unlimited (only for emergencies, like the Disney treasures), and my local grocery store.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I got Jaws The Revenge from the local video store, Rush Hour 2 from Wal Mart, and Charton Heston's Planet of the Apes off eBAY.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
We don't have Best Buy here. :frowning:
For mainstream titles, I usually go to CostCo. Otherwise, online at DeepDiscountDVD, Barnes & Noble (when they have a coupon, it's not bad as they Priority Mail DVDs to Hawaii), DVD Planet and EBay. And dddhouse for Asian films.

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
Most of my collection obtained in 2000 (which is approx 500 of nearly 800) was gotten through raping etailers with their online coupons and also using Columbia House....

These days I use Columbia House for near everything... what they don't carry, I get either when I see an opportunity somewhere for $10 or very close to, or use gift cards on Amazon (or now Suncoast as I've ammassed about $150+ worth through patiently using MyPoints & signing up and quitting Galleria/Connections, $25 GC for $1 signup fee)

I've also seriously cut down on the rate that I buy new dvds as I realize i got a lot of stuff that I don't particularly want to watch.... I went a little crazy in particular, raping BigStar (anyone remember the Monday night "Midnight Magic" window?) and so I got anything that seemed remotely interesting to me.

I also use NetFlix to screen titles that I haven't seen but think I'd like but not certain of... which helps to weed out mistakes like Hollow Man & Taxi Driver & Blue Velvet.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Deep Discount DVD (the free shipping and low prices make up for sometimes slow delivery.

I prefer Fry's to Best Buy because they have a much better selection, at least around here.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I get almost all of my DVD's from my most favoritest store, Best Buy. I always buy new releases from B&M's. Ocassionally I'll buy off the internet if there's a real good deal on something I've been meaning to pick up, or if I have a coupon, but I find that the few dollars you save really aren't worth the wait.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Virtually everything I have ever purchased has been exclusively on-line. No B&M has ever (I mean EVER) bettered a price I received there. That said:

Columbia House, Deep Discount, DVD Empire, and very few others.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
DeepDiscountDVD.com Best Buy, and (mostly) Columbia House.
People should not overlook Columbia House as a great way to get cheap DVD's! If you are willing to wait for three months after a release, it will be available at CH as an "enrollment" selection. After you buy 2 more at regular club prices, the average price works out to about $10.00 each.
I just recently obtained A.I., Tombstone (vista series), Swordfish, A Passage to India, Pearl Harbor, and Apocolypse Now Redux through CH as enrollment selections.
:emoji_thumbsup:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I get my DVDs from the DVD fairy. Seriously. I leave a want-list under my pillow every Monday night and on Tuesday morning, there's a stack of DVDs under said pillow. Pretty cool, no? :)
Actually, I buy popular titles at Best Buy and I use either Amazon or DVDPlanet for the more obscure titles.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I buy from the following with the following reasons
Best Buy
- It's just purely awesome
Sam Goody/Mediaplay/Suncoast
- I only buy from them when I have coupons, and I find their prices just the same as Best Buy (rarely does that happen)
Wal-Mart
- When I'm shopping for soap, toilet paper, and other assorted crap, I drop by the bargain sections and pick up a title or two.
DeepDiscountDVD
- cheapest option. Great for building patience too. :D
Buy.com
- customer loyalty, but I haven't bought anything from them lately

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I buy from Costco and Best Buy occassionally
But probably 80% of my DVDs come from DeepDiscountDVD.com
They have GREAT customer service (I called them about a defective DVD on Monday and on Wednesday had a new DVD along with a prepaid label to send back the defective one).
One word of advice... NEVER use their free shipping option... it takes FOREVER. Go for the Priority Mail (takes 2-3 days to get here... it takes their regular shipping 1-1.5 weeks to get to Florida). Just group your items together strategically and it works out to ~$1 per title :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I get my DVDs from the DVD fairy. Seriously. I leave a want-list under my pillow every Monday night and on Tuesday morning, there's a stack of DVDs under said pillow. Pretty cool, no?
I say a little wish at night before I go to bed and it accomplishes the same thing. It's all in the tone of voice, sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks