What's new

Where Do You Go for Movie News? (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I read three Websites on regular basis for news on in-development and finished films:

Dark Horizons

AICN

Cinescape

I know that AICN is widely reviled, and I understand why. They do have occasionly scoops, and usually the talkbacks are good for getting direct links for trailers.

However, was wondering if you guys would be willing to share where online you feed your inner movie geek? Are there sites you check everyday or multiple times a day?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
eFilmCritic/Hollywood Bitch-Slap has a pretty decent weekly update, although the type is awful small compared to the rest of the internet. (Full disclosure: The update also lists which reviews I, Jason Whyte, Scott Weinberg, and the rest of the site's writers have posted for the week)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"However, was wondering if you guys would be willing to share where online you feed your inner movie geek?"

You know, one of the reasons I don't care for AICN is for popularizing the terminology of "geek" to refer to those with a a great interest in film, film history, film technology, etc. Knowles may be a "geek", and he may have embraced that fact and more power to him. But the words "film geek" carry a negative, juvenile connotation with me - perhaps they don't for others, but for me, they do.

Now excuse me while I go back to arguing about Harry Potter, Disney, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
CHUD.

Sure, I can get the news at most of the websites listed above, but I like their blend of intelligence and smartassery. Plus, the majority of their message boards house intelligent conversation. (Not that this one doesn't, I just happen to have a fondness for the first message board I was a member of.)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I used to love Dark Horizons, but then they changed their format. It used to be such a sweet pitstop for news and rumors. It was just a nice, simple site with everything all on one page. You could read up on all sorts of movies, etc. Now, you have to click each one individually, and it's just a hassle. :thumbsdown:

Not a big deal, but I used to visit there everyday. Now it's pretty rare that I stop there.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I check CHUD every morning. I don't like the message boards, but the main page does a good job of collecting news and rumors from a number of sites in addition to their own stories.

Used to read Dark Horizons but it often had trouble loading when I clicked on it, so I got out of the habit of checking it. Maybe it's better now.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Movie City News is about the only place I bother with anymore, I used to do AICN and CHUD every day, but now I just check AICN once or twice a week and I got fed up with CHUD's juvenile cynicism/hatred of all films that were not horror/scifi and/or cynical and hateful. It also helps that I've found Dave Poland to be a reviewer that meshes very strongly with my own aesthetics (and he's a damn good writer too).

I never got into Dark Horizons, I always found their format headache inducing to try to wade and sift through to find actual content.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Mainly CHUD for me. If there's other big news that I miss, it'll show up here. I do check a few other sites (HBS, RT) weekly, but mainly only CHUD and Creature-Corner on a daily basis.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

I'm puzzled, because the old format made you click through at least two screens before getting to the news page. Now, all the latest news is right on the home page, and you can just click on the story you want to read.

I've bookmarked CHUD, but THAT'S a site with a format that's really kills my desire to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks