Where do you get the best deals on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I have sold the majority of my VHS tapes and now I want to replace them or buy new DVDs. I will be spending about $150 on DVD movies. I have checked prices right now and I have found that the pre-ordered DVDs seem to be cheaper @ DVDplanet.com
    BUT I found that if the DVDs are already out on the market that buy.com is cheaper.
    I plan on using the free shipping coupon @ the buy.com site and I think that that will save me lots of money in shipping for 7 DVDs.
    (The rest of the DVDs I would like to buy are pre-order DVDs and will wait for family to buy them for me for the Birthday and Christmas season.)
    Well, so where do you shop for your DVDs?
    Do you think you can beat the places I mentioned?
    The DVDs I plan on buying are:
    Princess Bride Special Edition
    Total Recall Special Edition
    The Goonies Special Edition
    Forrest Gump 2-disc set
    Big Trouble in Little China Special Edition
    Last of the Mohicans DTS
    The Mummy Returns
    Thanks for the information and help!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

The Mummy Returns is a pre-order right now, so pretty much anywhere is offering 40% off. As for the others, look around for deals, sales, etc. You probably won't get the best price from one site on all the titles, more likely, it'll be scattered around. But, factor in shipping costs and it'll probably be better to order through one site and pay one shipping charge.
    Oh, and I usually do all my business through http://www.dvdempire.com
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love
    [Edited last by Bruce Hedtke on September 18, 2001 at 07:49 PM]

3. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Fry's Electronics
    - only on the west coast
    Sam's Club
    - the cheapest place to get DVD's of mass production
    Best Buy
    - most well-rounded for price and selection
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    My DVD Collection

4. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

You can get great prices right here at HTF (Software for Sale.) But the lowest new average prices I have found are at deepdiscountdvd.com (I have gotten about a dozen from them.)
    Now, I only buy DVDs that I know I will watch over and over, I rent the rest.

5. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

Someone posted a link to this site a while back...
    www.dvdpricesearch.com
    Ever since hearing about the site, it has become very invaluable to me as a DVD buyer. Hope it helps!

6. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

As Wes mentioned, you should take advantage of DVDPRICESEARCH to confirm the best value. That said, you'll probably find that http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com
    Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

7. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I always use DVDPriceSearch, and agree that the vast majority of the time, Deepdiscountdvd.com comes in at the lowest overall price (they have free shipping!).
    However, this last Tuesday, I picked up the 2 DVD set of Scorsese's Cape Fear at Circuit City for $16.99! After paying tax, it was about 40 cents less than DeepDiscountDVD, but I had the instant satisfaction of having the DVD's in hand on its release date! [​IMG]