Where do you find the time?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stu Rosen, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

Just curious. I see posts from people who appear to have watched newly-released DVDs several times. I see other posts from people who seem to watch one or more films most days of the week. Still others go deep into all of the supplements in most of the deluxe packages they buy.
    Me, I have a (relatively) huge collection of about 650 discs, but I'll be damned if I can find the time for them. If I'm lucky, I'll get to a couple a month. Sometimes I go on a streak, but then I find my reading, or my responsibilities around the house, or some other part of my life suffers.
    I'm 42, I have 2 kids and a demanding full-time job. I also have an abiding love for films, so if I like the film and think it'll warrant multiple viewings, I buy it. But I simply do not have the time to devote to actually watching movies.
    How do y'all do it? Are those of you who do it without young children? Do you work part-time, or from home? Do you lack friends and responsibilities? I swear I'm not ridiculing you -- I just truly wonder how you do it.
    And, by the way, spare me responses offering to take my collection off of my hands if I can't get to it. [​IMG]

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I'm weeks away from turning 23, and, yes, I have a full-time job doing web development. I'm an anti-social shut-in (which is how I got the web development gig in the first place [​IMG]), so I have plenty of time to watch movies.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I find time only on the weekend, never the week.
    ------------------
    -Keith-

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I have no children, and my wife and I find most of our free time at night when other forms of entertainment are over. We own our own home so we can crank it as loud as we want, and both of us don't feel the need to sleep much.

5. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I have a house and a 12 year old. I usually watch a film bewteen dinner and bed - the trick is that I watch NO regular TV (except for whatever is the current Star Trek series). Have to admit that I don't read as much as I used to, but you have to sacrifice something...
    Cheers

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I sacrifice sleep. I can get by with 5 hours a night. That translates into 3 extra hours a night for watching films or socializing or reading, etc...
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

7. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

I work from home
    I don't have any friends
    I Never Go Out
    I am always In My Room ( Where my TV and DVD is )
    I live with my mother
    Are you getting a feeling of Norman Bates ? [​IMG]
    All The above is true and that my friends is how I find the time for my Children, I mean DVD's
    Regards,
    Ricky
    Coming Mother ......
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

8. Christina_DQ

Christina_DQ Stunt Coordinator

Well on my last dvd counti had around 60,but since i just got my Columbia House shipment + bought a few gotta get all time favs/rare ect titles,i'm probably in the 70-80 range.
    I'm 20 & don't have a job at the moment & have been out of work for about 2 weeks! I'm looking for a new job & may have one soon..... i have a final interview at Best Buy on Tues + i'm looking into other jobs & trying to find one with really good pay,so that i can still save up for school,but also be able to spend alittle on clothes,books,cds,dvds & just to go out ect & have a life.
    Since i've been able to stay up as late as i want the last 2 weeks(instead of only 1 or 2 nights),since i don't have to get up early for work. I've been able to get alot more than usual dvd watching of my recently purchased discs.
    Usualy i only watch a couple movies a month or every other week+ i don't watch tv at all except rarely when theres a good show or movie(usualy something i haven't seen,+ hard to find ect) on since we only have satelite on one tv in the house & my brothers or mom are always watching. I never get the chance,but don't mind bc tv sucks for the most part!!
    So i mostly watch new dvds i bought & re-watch my other dvds when i'm in the mood to & usualy re-watch certain movies like once(twice if im lucky) a year or so.
    Commentaries i barely get to,except usualy long after i bought the dvd(except for the Evil Dead trilogy, The Thing & Big Trouble in Little China), & have time + feel like listening to it. I still haven't listened to one commentary on the Seven S.E. & i bought that when it was first released!
    Since winters coming....i get alot more reading done(books i'm talking about..not the net or magazines,newspaper ect)) then & have tons of books i'll get through,but usualy take my time.
    [Edited last by Christina_DQ on October 07, 2001 at 06:24 PM]

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'm 25 and have a fairly stable 8-5 job. I've started cooking for myself, and find that is a great time for commentaries. I've also toyed with taking my PS2 when I go exercise (which lasts about 45 minutes) to go through supplements at that time. I think I should try that out.

10. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

Wow - 650 discs and no time to watch them. Sounds like your hobby is rather masochistic. [​IMG]
    Honestly, I don't know married folks with young kids have time to do anything. Home theater would be particularly difficult, since to really enjoy it you need to have rather large uninterrupted periods of time.

11. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Do what I do, watch 'em all before you're married!

12. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

If it's any consolation, I have about 300 discs, at least half of which I've never watched. I'm a full-time law student and (needless to say) don't have a lot of time for watching movies. That said, I enjoy the convenience of being able to pick one out in a matter of seconds when I do have a moment.
    I would say that I average about 1 movie a week (usually Friday nights, with the girlfriend). Some weeks I manage 2, but often I manage none at all. Lately I've been travelling back and forth to NYC for job interviews; they tend to put me up in nice hotels with suites that frequently feature DVD players, in which case I sneak in a film before heading to bed (last pick: Citizen Kane).
    And I don't watch any television!
    ------------------
    My oh so exciting DVD collection.

13. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

Well, I am one of those that don't have the time.
    I have a large number of DVDs (about 350 or so) and there are multiple ones that I own, but have yet to watch.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

14. RonR

RonR Stunt Coordinator

I say that's the beauty of movies. They will be there for you. I could sit and watch a ton of them back to back but would rather wait till I'm in the mood, have the time and can fully devote my attention to them. I work 4 12 hour shifts a week and mainly watch movies on my 3 days off. Currently I'm up to about 180 DVD's. Each has a story to tell, I will get to them in due time. [​IMG]

15. wally

wally Second Unit

I watch on week nights. 40 years old, 2 kids, only TV I watch is Sopranos and BOB on HBO. 2 nights a week for kid stuff. That leaves the other 4 nights free for DVD!

16. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I work 45-55 hrs a week, I'm also a bodybuilder so I spend about 6-8 hours a week in the gym, and I always get 7-9 hours of sleep a night. I'll watch a movie everyday of the week since there is always family coming over. It's all about timing I guess. [​IMG]

17. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

I'm a freelance video editor, so when the computer is rendering for long periods of time, I often slip away for a few special features or part of a commentary. I also do some illustrating, so that's also a good time for commentaries. As for actual movie veiwing, I do that whenever I can, but it's admittedly harder to find long un-inturupted chunks of time. My reading time has probably suffered the most, followed by sleep time. The middle of the night is good, but I have to be careful w/ the volume as to not wake the wife. I also watch very little TV - "Buffy", "Angel", and the occational "Simpsons". I watch Letterman & Conan too, but they don't count since I work while they're on.
    Good topic...
    JiM T

18. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

I find TV the killer. I've got a young son, and so finding 2 hours uninterrupted is incredibly difficult. TV is so much easier, as the programmes are shorter, and are split by commercials, so the storylines are designed to be broken up. If I think I'm going to have to pause a movie three times to deal with stuff, its easier to not bother.
    My TiVo tells the same story. I can watch the programmes it records, but I have movies on there from May that I haven't got to yet [​IMG]
    I suppose I'll just have to wait until he sleeps through the night, and use headphones.

19. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Stu, I'm with you. Life's demands are such that I get to fire up my DVD player for two hours a month, if I'm lucky.

20. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    The trick is not just finding the time, but when having the time to be actually in the mood for a given film. Some films that arrive, like CITIZEN KANE, I watch right away once or twice...it just fits into the momentum of things; other DVDs, maybe 20% of my 200 + collection, have sat on the shelf for nearly a year unseen until the right situation kicks in. Even then, literally weeks can go by without serious DVD viewing, and then a binge can follow.
    [​IMG]