Where do you buy your games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RAF, Apr 9, 2006.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Where do all of you buy your new games online?

The reason that I'm asking this question is that I'm looking for a new source for the many games I purchase (PC, XBOX360, PSP, Nintendo DS, etc.) Up until recently, as a member of GameSpot Complete there was a built-in benefit of 10% off of all titles (new and used) from EBGames Online and I saved literally hundreds of dollars. However, apparently the GameSpot/EBGames alliance has ended and I'm looking for a new, reliable source for games for less than list price.

It is important to me that the source is a reliable vendor who has ample stock of the new titles on time and provides speedy shipping, etc. etc. I'm not really interested in some of the sources that have spectacular pricing on games but who also jerk you around with backorders, unreliable shipping, hidden costs, poor selections, limited inventory, grey goods, etc.

In the interim I've been using Amazon.Com which seems to give a bit off list on many titles but I'm wondering what the power gamers out there (read: buy a lot of titles) use as a source? Like my DVD philosophy, "rent" is not a word in my vocabulary.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for pointing me to good game purchase sites on the web.

2. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

I buy all games at B&M stores, usually at Fry's or elsewhere with a Fry's price match. They've recently had good deals on new releases during the week they come out. For instance, GRAW was $47.99, Dynasty Warriors 5 was $29.99, and Top Spin 2 is $34.99.

I don't mean to write this without giving any (possibly) helpful advice to your specific question, so here's my point- Fry's has some affiliation with Outpost.com, and sometimes the prices are the same online as at their B&M stores. I'm pretty sure Dynasty Warriors was, and Top Spin 2 currently is $35 (there's also a "free shipping" logo next to it). But other prices are different- Burnout Revenge is $50 in-store but $55 online. Also, I couldn't find Top Spin using their search function- I had to use this link from another HTF thread (http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3241451), then click on the "this weeks specials" button on the left, then go thru a page or two to find it.

So, you may want to try Outpost. I haven't ordered from them in a looong time, so I can't say how the service is nowadays. I remember it being excellent way back when they offered free overnight shipping (I stopped using them when they stopped offering that). Perhaps the trouble I had to go through to find Top Spin is some indication, perhaps not.

3. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

I buy my PC Games from whichever B&M store has it in stock at the best price. I'm lucky enough to be within 10-15 minutes of just about every major B&M that sells games. When I want to preorder a game, I do it from Gamestop because they have never let me down. EBGames used to be my choice, because most new releases they will same day ship to their stores and they will actually have them in store a day before everyone else. But I have issues with the management of that place being too pushy and general a bunch of morons, so I stopped going there. Still, I wouldn't condemn every EB due to that, I realize it's about the people running the store and that's it. Also, Gamestop locally has more PC titles than console, and that's what I buy.

I haven't bought a console game in a long time, but if I were to purchase one B&M would be Gamestop also. I used to sub to GameFly when I was playing my consoles more, and I loved it, basically stopped buying games other than the "must haves".

Some older titles I'll pick up online from whoever is cheapest, not loyal to anyone for that. Mostly vendors that are hooked up through Amazon though. But new titles, well I'm the type that wants it in my hand now, so it's B&M for me.

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Thanks for the feedback. Unless things have changed, I believe EBGames and GameStop are actually part of the same conglomerate. I know that the structure of EBGames online has changed recently so this may no longer be true.

Ironically, I usually prefer online shops to B&Ms when I want to get new titles because I have found, in the past, that I can actually get things on the day of release easier from online purchases without the long lines (they are allowed to ship so things arrive on release day). I purchased my XBox360 from EBGames and it was delivered on release day with no camping out, etc. I guess it comes down to shopping around a bit for the best prices if there is money to be saved while maintaining timeliness of purchases. I will check into Outpost.com, etc.

5. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

I had read about the Gamestop-Ebgames thing at one point. But, I never really noticed any difference or changes. So I have no idea if it ever became a fact, I never really looked into it. Most malls around here (and I live in the land of malls so thats a few) have both stores, I figured if they had merged one would have closed down at least. Meh... it doesn't matter, since I'm more of a B&M type, it's all about the people and the service rather than the name on the sign at the door.

One online site I'll throw into the mix that I do frequent is cheapassgamer.com. Great site to visit and see who's going to have the cheapest prices at release, or basically any video game deals to be had can be found on those forums.

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Thanks, Dave!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Actually, the change you noticed occurred when they became part of the same group. It was announced a while back, but it was only approved relatively recently (before Christmas).

8. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

I live a ways away from any B&M store, so I do about half my shopping on gamestop.com, and in store I will go to a Target, BB or Fred Meyer.

I recently had a bad experience with gamestop, so I am not too sure how much more of my business I will give them.