Where do you buy stands for heavy Sony CRT's?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Peter W, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Peter W

Peter W Auditioning

I am looking at the 36 inch Wegas and have not ruled out the 300 lb. 40 inch set. I know Sony makes factory stands for these sets but they are a little too modern looking for my TV room. Is there another source for nice looking stands that can handle the weight of a big Wega?

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I don't know the answer to your question, other than to build one or have a cabinetmaker build one. I have often wondered, though, how the hell do you get one of these monsters in the house, or on the stand in the first place? I don't have 4 strong friends (at least that I would trust with an expensive TV.)

3. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

I'm real happy with this stand for my 34"XBR-
    Wood Technology CMV-36...solid hardwood, no veneer...oak or ebony black...40"w, 22"d, 22.75"h....holds 500 lbs...6 casters so you can move the tv pretty easily...optional glass door kit...easily holds 4 components...weighs 85 pounds...relatively easy to assemble...lists for $369.95US...glass door kit is $69.95...entire Wood Technology line is at wood-tech.com...standsandmounts.com has this stand at $298 with free shipping...also has a ton of other hq av furniture....I have a photo of my setup on my hard drive but can't figure out how to insert it into this message...anyone out there know how to do it?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Is the styling really that important? I mean, the display itself already is noveau silver spaceship WEGA, so why not go all the way, so to speak?

Julian, my vet pal, two strong backs can help get one of those monsters in your abode. I asked another resident in my apartment building to help me (the manager, in fact). Paid him off with a pizza and all the beer he could drink (never a problem at my house).

5. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I have the 40" and I've purchased two stands that easily hold the weight. The one I'm using now that I moved and the TV is in a different room and required a lower stand is the Boltz TVXL-something. It's made specifically for this TV but it's just a metal stand. The nicer and much more expensive option is my old stand, a Salamander Synergy (www.mander.com) Twin 40. They make 20, 30, and 40 inch heights in the Twin stands. The Synergy racks published weight limit for the top shelf is 250lbs, but I noticed that my local tweeter was using a Twin 20 for this TV before I purchased it and called Salamander tech support to inquire and was told over the phone that 300lbs is OK on the top or bottom shelf and the to keep the weight under 550 for all equipment on the rack.

6. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Darn, Jack, that's impressive that 2 guys can move a tube that big & heavy. I was picturing maybe using a handtruck to get it inside, then 3 or 4 guys to lift it onto the stand, or using some kind of hydraulic or electric lifter.

I really don't like the idea of rupturing anything , especially my back or inguinal area. That's why I got a RPTV. [​IMG]