Where do you all read reviews

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Gre, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Jeff Gre

Jeff Gre Auditioning

Oct 9, 2002
    I am new to ht and was wondering whose reviews you trust. I am looking at spending around $2000 to $2500. I was looking at the B&W 600s and Polk audios r series. I have not been able to find a lot of reviews and don't know anything about the reviewer sites I did find. If anybody knows any web addresses of review sites I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

May 19, 2002
    This is probably not helpful, but I’ll comment anyway.

I don’t trust magazines with advertisements for the product types they review. Very few reviews in these publications have reviews that are less than complimentary.
  3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    i'll add to what lew has stated. it's very rare that you will find any magazine that flat-out rejects a product. personally i can't think of a single one i've ever seen yet. even online reviews tend to be pretty lenient. if you "read between the lines" you may get a hint that they don't really like the product, but they'll never just come out and say it.
    when i read a review, i tend to look for what features the product has. i'll read the statistics and check the graphs too. and i try to get a feel for what the review is saying...but i never take his word for it. if he absolutely gushes about a product, i'll take that as a positive sign. but if he seems a little "grey"...then i'll take it with a grain of salt.
    that being said, here's some recommendations for you:
    magazines - i subscribe to the following:
    Sound and Vision - this is a good magazine for beginners. they review stuff that most people can afford and their technical articles are pretty easy to understand
    Stereophile Guide To Home Theater - this magazine highlights some higher end stuff that i like to read about. i think their last issue had a $65,000.00 dollar projector. [​IMG] certainly not stuff i can afford, but i like to know what's out there.
    websites - here's a few that i like:
    Cheap Home Theater - i only wish they would stay more current
    Secrets of Home Theater
    The Stereo Times
    Good Sound
    i'm sure there are TONS of other sites out there...
  4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    I start with reviews wherever I can find them, often just by asking in the forum for owner's opinions. As with magazines, you will not often get negative responses, because people don't often admit that something is better than what they spent their money on.

The ONLY real way to choose between speakers is to go listen to them.

I don't consider the Polk RTi line to be in the same class as the B&W 600 series. These are two fairly different sounding lines.