1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Where do they come from? Used sets that is.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Eric Carl, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Eric Carl

Eric Carl Stunt Coordinator

Well the title says it all.

But why are there so many used titles in stores?

I could understand if it were mostly the first season of a show but how can there be multiple copies of a long running show, like X-Files?

Are the people that buy these sets dying?
    Are they short on Cash?
    Did they just rip all the episodes? Not that its illegal or anything. [​IMG]
    Lose interest in a show?
    Did they receive the third degree from a spouse? Or......well thats as far as I can take it on this subject. Not that I have experience with these problems.

Anyways, whats your take on the "creation" of used sets?

2. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

With shows like the X-Files that had a younger demographic the idea that some people are selling thier DVDs in order to pay bills in not inconcievable. Others periodically sell those sets that they viewed once and than don't think they will watch again. Many people dont' have unlimited shelf space.

3. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

Yeah while I would never sell any of my TV season sets I have sold some movies that I don't watch anymore (its what I like to call my annual DVD mistake cleaning)

4. Eric Carl

Eric Carl Stunt Coordinator

Roger, I could understand making A SINGLE mistake but paying several hundred (if new) is a costly mistake.

Katherine, I understand the show catered to younger viewers but why would they throw away the money to begin with? The point you made about people only viewing once than throwing away seems silly. If I didn't like a show anymore I would rather lend it to a friend or relative* than sell it for a couple hundred.

*Assuming your friends don't go around and sell it...........Wait a second I think I discovered why there is used TV on DVD sets. [​IMG]

5. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

Young people aren't known for making the best money decisions. And the example you used of the X-Files is probably a good one when you think about it. Used sets go for $40 USD, new sets for $90... that's almost half their money back.

6. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I've traded a few of my TV on DVD sets either to get more movies or more TV on DVD. Some TV Box sets I bought really cheap - others I just could not get into. Overall I've kept the majority of them but I don't see any difference in buying and then selling TV DVD versus DVD movies. Either way you're only getting a portion of the investment back but then again you've received entertainment value from viewing them.

I just picked up Deadwood Season 1 for fairly cheap - I actually used store credit. I figure I'll watch it and if I don;t like it I can easily recover the costs by selling or trading it.

7. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Let me tell you, a lot of the stuff that gets traded in to stores that sell used DVDs is stolen. It's a known fact and stores don't have the balls to deal with it...it's all about them making money. People will trade in DVDs on Tuesday that only came out that same day...yet companies will not refuse the trade. And I know personally that this was mentioned to the head of loss prevention in one company and it was just shrugged off.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Don't forget those crazy kids with the DVD burners. They go to Best Buy in the morning, burn the disc in the afternoon, then sell it to EB at night. [​IMG]

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I totally agree with the stolen idea. They are easily portable and sell well.

You didn't mention what kind of a store you saw these in, and my first thought was that they weren't legit. As shown in the other thread, Communist China cranks out millions of them, along with just about anything else they can get their hands on.

And no, you aren't necessarily going to see a made in PRC on the set somewhere. They will copy everything, and I am sure that some of them are sent to retailers here.

Glenn

10. rapier

rapier Auditioning

i buy alot of dvd on tv from a place called cd connection. usually they go for 20 bucks etc seinfields raymond stuff like that. not bad cause they seem like there almost new or never even watched. and half off of new prices and they have a decent return policy also..