What's new

Where do old audiophiles go? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
What no wax cylinders??
This is similar to my turntable which I got a long time ago for a song. It will go to my son when he gets his first house. Personally I don't think vinyl stacks up to decent CD's and I'm past the point in my life where adjusting carbs on cars is fun. I like the artistry of turtables and for that matter some tube gear. What I do like though are those old floor standing wooden tube radios that pulled in SW too. Would you believe my mother threw 2 of those away along with my comic book collection (many first editions...iron man, fantastic four, x-men, etc) when I went off to school?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chu, that looks like a Transcriptors model. What is it? And what kind of tonearm?

I always loved the old Quad Electrostatic. Damn fine speaker.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That is a transcriptor and I've no idea on the tonearm...too long ago and right now I've got it in storage in what we call here the 'secret room'! I bought it because I liked the way it looked, it was new, and the price was just too good to pass up. But it's so fully manual that it drives me crazy. Maybe when I go to Golden Ears Park I'll take up knitting or crocheting and make it a nice cover ;)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Where do old audiophiles go?
No where. We just stick around and buy more gear! :)

Believe it or not, my very 1st record player was one of those red close'n'plays. Maybe the reason why I still listen to a lot of vinyl...

The amp that got away: Had a Nakamichi PA-7AII in da house once. Stasis class (Nelson Pass design via Threshold), 225w/ch, 70 lbs, built like a tank... Got rid of it because the prior owner was a smoker, and every time I fired it up, stank up the joint. Should have just left in on in my garage for a couple of weeks to "evaporate" all the smell, or should have gotten adventurous and opened it up and cleaned it... Oh well...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
and what am i offered for a 70's Fender tube amp, mint, and I do mean mint condition?

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I had one of those Fender amps in around 1970...i bought it and a Gretsch semi-hollow body w/ pearl inlays and gold plated frets and pickups for $50 frickin' bucks from some dude in need of money for various reasons left to your imagination :D Wish I would have kept them!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Always pays as you're driving around on a Saturday or Sunday to see what people are selling at garage sales and for that matter a thrift shop occasionally turns up something quite unique and valuable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks