What's new

Where do old audiophiles go? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yes, we all get old sometimes (talk about a Yogi-ism!!) so what do we do? Where can we go to share our stories of 'the amp that got away' or how we used to put pennies on our tonearms to improve tracking? Where can we go where a nice hearty meal of oatmeal is served at night in a room filled with the ambiance of Scott, Heathkit, and Dynaco tubes? Where can we go where there are still people who remember the magic of mono sound, when a wax cylinder was all you needed? Why here of course!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's when your dealer tells you that if you buy this procduct you'll get cash back which is almost as good as money.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yogi, Chu refers to the legendary New York Yankees catcher Yogi Berra ("Eighty percent of baseball is mental; the other half is physical"). It ain't over 'til it's over.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I've got a baseball signed by Don Larsen and somehow I've got to get it signed by Yogi too. After all, that was the one and only perfect game in the world series :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My first major league game was an Angels/Yankees contest (game two of a three-game series). Though it was Anaheim, Mickey Mantle received a standing ovation every time he stepped up to the plate. It was the summer of '67, Mantle's next-to-last season. (If only he hadn't played those final two years; his career batting average would've been better than .300.)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Would you believe, it was some time in the 60's, my friend's father took us to Fenway where we watched the Sox play the Yanks (Sox lost) and a large amount of people booed Yaz for not hustling down to first. Ever been to Cooperstown Jack?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Back to the question :) I go to my neighbors house & listen to his old MacIntosh Tube amps. You really can't beat that warm sound of those tube amps :D and how about those old 45 record players in the cars what a nightmare those were :D

Kevin T

Screenwriter
and this thread relates to "receivers/separates/amps" how? perhaps it wouldn't be so bad but even a moderator is chiming in to this thread which obviously belongs in "after hours". c'est la vie.

kevin t

RobWil

Supporting Actor
"this thread which obviously belongs in "after hours".
:rolleyes

actually it prolly belongs in the "tweaks" section since Chu was obviously 'tweaked' when he wrote it :D

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i don't think chu's a tweaker. at least i'd hope not, crystal meth is some nasty $h1t!!!

kevin t

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta love Yogiisms. One of my favorites: The mayor's wife at a gala fundraiser said "Yogi, you're looking pretty cool tonight in that new suit", to which Yogi relied "Why thank you ma'am, you don't look so hot yourself."

But this is about old audiophiles. I'm afraid that sooner or later we will all become deaf, and music must sound pretty crappy from a hearing aid. Maybe that's a business opportunity for the future - develop and market hearing aids for audiophiles.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Oh, I didn't mean 'tweaked' as in meth :laugh:
I agree...that's nasty shit! :thumbsdown:

No, I just meant 'tweaked' as in 'high' as it pertains to attitude adjustment via hops and/or other good ole natural (and possibly smokable) herbs :D

I'm afraid that sooner or later we will all become deaf, and music must sound pretty crappy from a hearing aid.
Ahhhhhh! Don't say that! My Dad was a musician all his life now he's 85 and can't hear squat! :eek:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Old audiophiles? I'm not really as old as I think some of you think. But I am probably older than many of you!

My first audio system: a KLH "portable stereo" from the late 1960s. I had developed a childhood fascination with tape recorders and that obviously led to audio in general — especially after I heard some good systems.

My first "component audio system" (as it was called in those virgin days when the mass-market bought "stereo consoles" and "portable record players"): a 1970 Kenwood KR-77 stereo receiver (a whopping 20 watts per two channels into 8 ohms — but from something like 50 Hz to 15 kHz at .5-percent THD and the IM even higher at past 1 percent), the Garrard I told you about, mated to a Pickering moving-magnet cartridge tracking at a whopping 3.5 grams, and a pair of Goodmans-Elite G-44 speaker systems (from England — with a 10-inch woofer, 6-inch midrange, 3-inch tweeter, all cone-type drivers).

Now, where to place this thread? You vote. (Pass the chips and dip, please!)

Cagri

Second Unit
It doesn't bother me to see several off topic posts in the thread at all, just leave the thread where it had been started mesays..

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Where can we go where there are still people who remember the magic of mono sound, when a wax cylinder was all you needed? Why here of course!
I guess I should feel like a dinosaur since I still listen to mono records and use tubes, oh well.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks